Author Topic: Marlin Gurus Unite!!! Strange power loss issue 22r Fuel economy bad as well  (Read 9456 times)

Toyospearo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
update....

After so much investigation as to why this 22r is eating gas (10MPG) and is underpowered and the compression is sort of low in all cylinders 148 in addition to the dizzy being installed correctly and then when i try to set the timing the dizzy bottoms out and wont go past 0.  No room left in the adjusting space.   I pulled the timing cover and below is what I found.  The lower crank gear was off by at least 3 degrees.  I moved the gear so the dot was at 6 o clock.  I put the whole mess back together and the truck had more power ran great BUT when i installed the dizzy correctly I would go to turn the dizzy down to get the mark over to 0 and it would not it would bottom out on about 4 degrees on the oil pump.  SO  i pulled the the old harmonic balancer off and I put a new on on my buddy gave me.    I talked with ted at EB and he said I wasnt quite right on the chain and the old balancer could be the problem  THat is why I put on the new balancer. Balancer was not the issue.
here are some pics.  If anyone sees or has any idea what is going on here please help.
This is the setup when I pulled off the TC.  It is off to the right just a bit..

This is where I set the cam before I put the chain on..

Here are a few more pics of the corrected lower crank gear...
THis is it after I adjusted it.. Note the chain link.  The dot is right in the middle of the dark link.  This is a dual row setup.  There is no bright or dark link on the opposite side of the chain for some damn reason.  Note where the links are on the top cam gear...   very strange..
THe truck had more power after I made this adjustment...

Here is the dizzy position.  Perfect but no where near a typical 22r timing setup.  0 is where the dizzy wont go any further..