Author Topic: California supreme court passes gay marriage...  (Read 9359 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: California supreme court passes gay marriage...
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Actually, what happened was the California Supreme Court overturned a voter approved ban on gay marriage.  I am against any court overturing anything that was approved by the voters.  That is just another example of the court system trying to make laws and thats not their job.

So, if the citizens of your state passed a law that no citizens could own guns...you wouldn't want a court to overturn that?

INHO, the court did exactly what it is supposed to do. Someone brought suit, the justices read the law and found conflict with the constitution of California and nullified the law. The legislature...passed a poorly thought out and poorly written law. There are two choices...rewrite the law to meet the deficiencies that the court found or, and this is the best choice, amend the constitution.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)