Author Topic: Teaching gay marriage in school..  (Read 11095 times)

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Teaching gay marriage in school..
« on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »
since the other thread is so much fun I might as well stir some more  :laugh:

Any, all of these prop 8 commercials are threatening that schools might teach about gay marriage..

And the problem is? NOT teaching would be the crime, since it is what it is..

There are gays.. that is fact. Facts are what we learn in school. I fail to see the problem..

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching gay marriage in school..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »
being gay seems like a pain in the ass to me.......  :stopit:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
1. I don't remember being taught about regular marriage in school, so why must kids be taught about gay marriage?

2. It is offensive to some/viewed as very immoral an unacceptable to them.  They don't want children taught about what is unnatural/immoral/doesn't jive with what they teach their kids.

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I don't think it is the schools place to teach morals, just facts. Nobody said they had to be taught I just didn't see the problem if they were. Sex ed is taught - I would think that is where it would come in..

If your offended by gays grow some balls :p
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »
I don't think it is the schools place to teach morals, just facts. Nobody said they had to be taught I just didn't see the problem if they were. Sex ed is taught - I would think that is where it would come in..

If your offended by gays grow some balls :p
I didn't say I was, I'm just relating what some of my customers have said in passing. I live in a small CA town, and people here don't really cotton to that kind of thing.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
I agree being gay is must be  a pain in the  :moon: and i will do my best to teach my kids about :gay: but i don't need a teacher for that :pokinit: my wife's a teacher and wouldn't waste her time on it enough with the  :stopit:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
There is no feasible reason why marriage of any kind should be taught in school, especially grade school, period!  It is, without a doubt, a parent's decision whether or not to teach their kids about heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bestiality!

It is a school's responsibility to teach the basics, period.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »
I think what the prop 8 proponents are talking about is the excessive teaching of gay marriage, not just the mention of it/possibility of it. 
I'm thinking in regards to the kids that got to go on a field trip to SF to see their gay teacher get married, or the transgender teacher in Vacaville. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
:werd:

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
pretty far reach if that is all they have to worry about, as stated who was taught about marriage in school and why would a gay marriage be any different. All I can think of is "on this date gay marriages were made legal" or something. Just saying it is a pretty weak point for the biggest reason to vote yes on taking away someone rights..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

SteveB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »
If anyone is teaching gay marriage to children in schools, Prop 8 wont stop it. Supporters of prop 8 are referring to California Education Code 51890 when they say children will be taught about gay marriage in school. I will go ahead and quote the only sentence in the code referring to marriage.

“In-class and out-of-class activities designed to ensure that… Family health and child development, including the legal and financial aspects and responsibilities of marriage and parenthood”

Looks like all it is saying is that they want children to be taught about the responsibilities of adulthood. Maybe I am not reading it right, but it doesnt look like there is anything about types of marriages and gay marriages and all that other stuff.

Just my :twocents:
Quote from: Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas on November 27, 2008, 01:45:28 AM
RE: Pet Peave #37

SteveB: whats pet peave #1-36?
Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas:  1: Corn Nuts; 2-36: SteveB

My truck: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49474.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
Considering most teachers unions are against prop. 8, and from just recently having to intervene on my kids behalf due to a health teacher preaching (not teaching) her personal eating habits (P.I.T.A.) I absolutely believe that given the green light they will teach the gay side of life if given the chance. He all of a sudden started saying that eating meat is murder and only wanted a vegan lifestyle. Now if it was his own decision I'd have supported it but to just one day out of the blue come up with this raised an alarm. So I checked all the routes he may have been fed this bs and I couldn't find it until I looked in his school books and found it. Well I just blew it. What right does anyone have to push their agenda on anyone especially an impressionable child. Now given the chance do you think some liberal (and most are) teacher won't take the opportunity and include gay info to their students. Now I'm not saying all teachers are like that but there are plenty like this one waiting for a chance to push their personal agenda.

Also those commercials are not saying that they will have to teach it in school or that churches are going to loose there tax exempt status but that if they (and they just might) push the issue they could cause trouble. How many Roman Catholic churches do you think are going to marry gays? It is totally against their beliefs.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
uh, the green light is currently ON then since this is a prop to ELIMINATE status quo. In other words if they aren't doing it now why would it change?

I don't care what the churches do, I am not religious so any tax credit they get is taking my money etc.
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
Also I'm not against a civil union for gays and I don't really care what or who they hang out with and sleep with. I'm sorry marriage as defined is between a woman and a man, have your civil union/civil partnership but marriage is between a man and a woman.

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
Also I'm not against a civil union for gays and I don't really care what or who they hang out with and sleep with. I'm sorry marriage as defined is between a woman and a man, have your civil union/civil partnership but marriage is between a man and a woman.

was ;)

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
uh, the green light is currently ON then since this is a prop to ELIMINATE status quo. In other words if they aren't doing it now why would it change?

I don't care what the churches do, I am not religious so any tax credit they get is taking my money etc.

No, sorry the door was not open until this. Yes I agree that their was nothing to stop it from happening except that the teacher would have been in big trouble for teaching it, but if this is not stopped it is basically legalized and condoned so the gloves are off.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
Defined.......

Quote from: courtesy of Merriam-Webster

Main Entry:
    mar·riage Listen to the pronunciation of marriage
Pronunciation:
    \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
Function:
    noun
Etymology:
    Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
Date:
    14th century

1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law

......and now the amended version of the definition

(2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage2: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected ; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities

I don't remember this part having to look it up as a child so I don't think it was there in the 14th century either.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »
So what does that tell you? Gay marraige has already been occurring for years but is not recognized legally, notice that is legally recognized between a man and a woman.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »
I am not against gays nor their marriage rights.  What I am against is the government insists that our kids need to learn about it at a very young age.  When a parent gets put in jail for pulling their kid out of class because they don't want their KINDERGARTENER learning that YET.  THAT is what I don't agree with.  It's the point that parental rights are being taken away more and more.  I can understand if they taught it in high school, but come on, teaching a six year old something that should come from their parents is just wrong.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
honestly i could care less wat gays do behind closed doors, i just dont want to see or hear about it.
also, i never was taught about marriage in school at all so why would i want to hear about gay marriage?
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
I am in the minority here where I live, the demographics currently is 65% gay. In fact we may be the only traditional couple/family on my street, my son is full aware of the surroundings too and likes girls. So I'm not concerned that being exposed to another lifestyle will affect those that are confident of themselves but in saying that he was swayed by a teaching environment into thinking that eating meat was murder. I also believe that teaching in schools has gone way beyond what was intended and should be changed. Too many systems give way to much leeway to teachers and the curriculum they throw out there to be absorbed by children. My biggest fear is for those that have yet to have a direction and are still confused and malleable.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
since the other thread is so much fun I might as well stir some more  :laugh:

Any, all of these prop 8 commercials are threatening that schools might teach about gay marriage..

And the problem is? NOT teaching would be the crime, since it is what it is..

There are gays.. that is fact. Facts are what we learn in school. I fail to see the problem..

This is soooooooo tired.

There is no right conferred in the Constitution to marriage, there is little or no Biblical precedent for the civil ceremony of marriage. It is a civil contract...and like other contracts subject to state and local regulation.

Citizens also have every right to set moral standards as they see fit, in their locality...just they have the right to set standards for home construction or speed limits for traveling the roadways.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »
 What I am against is the government insists that our kids need to learn about it at a very young age.  

Lifestyle choices should not be taught in public schools at any level. We graduate kids who can't balance a checkbook...but at least they know about conflict resolution. :shakehead:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
Lifestyle choices should not be taught in public schools at any level. We graduate kids who can't balance a checkbook...but at least they know about conflict resolution. :shakehead:
:bowdown: Amen Brother!!!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »

:bowdown: Amen Brother!!!

:bowdown: :werd: I've seen so many kids in that situation abnormaltoy... it's sad  :headshake:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »
I know this is blasphemy in today's world...but, the playground is where conflict resolution should take place. Young males today have very little outlet for their completely natural aggression and thus never learn how to control the beast within. I got in fights, I got my ass kicked and I kicked some ass...one thing for sure, getting you ass kicked is a very humbling and, should be, an important part of maturing.  :gap: Getting out aggressions through competitive sports (not un-scored freakin' tee-ball) or an occasional fight is an important part of growing up. All animals do it, from wolves to lions...the young ones test the boundaries and vie for position in the pack.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

SteveB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:27:23 AM »
 :werd:
Quote from: Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas on November 27, 2008, 01:45:28 AM
RE: Pet Peave #37

SteveB: whats pet peave #1-36?
Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas:  1: Corn Nuts; 2-36: SteveB

My truck: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49474.0

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »

Brainwashing..  who says your kindergartner is going to learn about gay marriage?? Nobody is teaching lifestyles, just facts. My preschooler is well aware of gay marriage and gays btw..

so what?
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:31:31 AM »
Brainwashing..  who says your kindergartner is going to learn about gay marriage?? Nobody is teaching lifestyles, just facts. My preschooler is well aware of gay marriage and gays btw..

so what?

I'm thrilled for your child. Nonetheless, public schools should teach skills that will prepare children for life and work. That's what

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »

so what?

My point is, who is to say WHEN your child should learn it and how? When the time comes, I want to tell MY kids about the birds and the bees, and I don't want to go to jail for wanting to have that connection with my child!  

Mark's right... why focus so hard on this when they should be focusing on stuff that will help them in the real world.