Author Topic: Buget 85 hilux first 4x4 ever just goin for it weekend toy!!  (Read 23382 times)

turbo this..

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
got the spare front diff off the wall and pulled it half down found the ratio to be 4.88 like the spare rea one i did yesterday so thats grate news for me

ive decided to build on a budget this set of diffs up and whack em under the truck as something is better than nothing atm so any improvement is a good improvement if it can be done for minimal cost

so ive gotten the housing cleaned up was really nasty hi pressure water blaster with degreaser, loads of compressed air, and the heat torch to get it worm to the touch to take care of any last moisture
same treatment for the 3rd member i did not dissasemble it just blasted the nutts off it same drying treatment but while still hot gave it a good oil down the pinion bearings and rest good turn over to spread the oil

so it now sits as a front housing with 3rd member bolted up and new inner axle seals installed ends bagged and drain/fill plugs back in

next ill prob brake down and clean the hubs hope the wheel bearings and cv bushes are good as i really dont want to spend anymore than a hub kit on this as i do want link suspension and if i do that ill get some 5.29s in there with a proper rebuild lol

but so far both cvs, the 3rd member and look/fell good so win win so far on the super low buck approach to better FD ratios

o yeah one side of the houseing had some smaller bearings and off set bushings???? what the?? can i just put the large bearings in place of this??