Author Topic: Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argentina in an 87 4Runner  (Read 51266 times)

defrag4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Howdy folks! Figured it was about time to get this thread going. After saving and planning this trip for the past 3 years, Lauren and I are set to leave TODAY for the first leg of our Pan-American journey.  :driving:

We are leaving from San Francisco to travel back to our home-state of Florida to say adios to our family and friends, from there we will trek back to Texas and cross the border into Mexico. DESTINATION: USHUAIA, ARGENTINA :bowdown:

We have no set plans, No real set destination other than getting to the bottom. Our timeline for the trip is at least 1 year. We are planning to extend the trip by hooking up with volunteer organizations, couchsurfing, and house-sitting when possible. We have modified my 87 4Runner into a quasi-camper with most of the luxuries of home. ie: Bed, Stove, Shower, 110v etc.

The truck is fitted to tackle some serious off-roading, we look forward to exploring tons of backroads and trails all up and down Central/South America. Any suggestions on places to go, people to see, beers to drink will be appreciated!

I am still waiting to pick up our truck from the 4x4 shop today where they are mounting a rear-swingout for 2 jerry cans, Our lease is up and my last day of work was yesterday so we are OUTTA HERE as soon as we get the truck.

We are going to take about 2 weeks or so to drive from Northern California to Florida. Lauren has never seen much of Utah, Nevada, Colorado so I believe we will be journeying that way. We plan to just look at the atlas and pick out national/state parks/monuments/forests  to camp at along the way. Again we are open to ANYTHING so throw up your suggestions.

SO EXCITED!!!

Here is our blog with more information, feel free to subscribe and follow us on the facebook

http://homeonthehighway.com

Thanks,
James

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
 :bowdown: Nice! This should be an adventure for sure! I envy your enthusiasm and you sense of adventure.  :clap2:  Looking forward to all your pics as you travel. Good luck on your journey and be safe. I will watch this thread for updates.  :beerchug:

slick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
planning to do the same trip some day. enjoy  :thumbs:

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
looking forward to hearing about your trip.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
subscribed
seems the two of you have alot of energy and ambition.
enjoy the trip and be safe

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
thanks for the encouragement guys, still waiting on the 4x4 shop to finish buttoning up the rear bumper. Also got some sliders put on there, in case I want to get a bit wild!

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
subscribed.  post up pictures when you get time along the way.  sounds like a fun trip.  be safe.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
good luck and be safe! if you pass thru houston on your way from FL to Mexico hit me up.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Awesome adventure ahead, Ya'll be careful and enjoy, I'll be looking forward to updates. :wave:
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
So cool! Subscribed for sure!! Would love to do this some day myself.

I am no expert in overland travel, these are merely my random thoughts knowing a bit about the types of Toyotas and parts you will have available to you in South America. What kind of front suspension parts are you carrying as spares? I see you have a rock solid OME lift, but I know solid axles are pretty prevalent down there and many areas may never have gotten IFS at all. I would definitely make sure you have plenty of IFS front end parts in case you end up somewhere where the only front end parts available are for solid axles. I didn't see mention of spare parts in your blog so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Can't wait for more updates. Have a safe journey!!  :beer:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

blumagoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Did you buy that front bumper from a guy named Joaquin and how much did you pay for it? Because I gave that bumper to him a year ago and if he sold it to you I wanna make sure I get my share!

Just kidding.....I am envious of your upcoming adventure.
I'm looking forward to your updates.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Sounds like an adventure for sure, a very good friend of mine mother used to travel to Chile regularly driving a Ford F350 4x4 in the 70's. They are an importer of South American folkart, she'd be gone for months. They are still in business in Santa Paula, CA, Elenor Menzie Imports. They no longer need to travel in this fashion, they fly down and base out of there to search the remote towns for artifacts made by the locals. She used to tell some great stories of her travels. Good luck and have fun. I'm going to send them your blog link, they may enjoy the memories.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2011, 02:15:51 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Looks like you have been on some fun adventures!!

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
November 1st came and went, we were antsy to get going but the world had other plans. Luckily we only ended up two days behind “schedule”, which I am now declaring as a dirty word. Schedules are for people who have someplace to be.

Darren and Marc at Any7 got the truck all finished up, they did a great job putting our ideas for the truck into action. We picked it up and headed home to cram all worldly possessions into the back.

Thanks guys!

Luckily this process only took about 30 minutes. Impressive! We bid our landlords and our cabin farewell and headed out the door. It was too late to actually make it anywhere and the truck was too full of crap to camp in the back. Darren let us crash on his couch for the night, the first of many couch surfing experience to come I am sure.

Re-arranged the back of the truck in the morning and hit the road. Our destination for the night was the Sierra mountains.

Excitedly we headed off into the rolling foothills of the Sierras.

The clouds looming overhead did not look very inviting, and as we approached the mountain range we saw signs stating the most of the mountain passes were closed. I thought this was odd since I was just up here last weekend and there wasn't any snow on the ground. Cranked up the weather report on the radio…

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY – SNOW STORM APPROACHING EASTERN SIERRAS AT 730PM – 8 INCHES OF SNOW AND 75 MPH WINDS EXPECTED AT 8000FT.

Perfect, so pretty much exactly where we were heading? Looks like our “schedule” is about to change again. A quick look at the map and we decide we are going to go up and over the Sierra range and camp at a ghost town called Bodie on the eastern-side foothills. The storm was not scheduled to hit until 730, was only 430 at the time. We were about 2 hours from the other side. No problemo. We press on determined to beat the storm.

Not much time for pictures this visit to the Sierras.

Approaching 8000FT

Making good time, should make it easily before the storm hits. …until

What the hell!? Construction delays on the Carson pass! A bunch of bozos trying to build a road as the storm approaches, A long line of trucks idling waiting for the road to clear.  The white flakes starting to fall and winds picking up!

Eventually we make it over and haul ass down to Bodie as the storm picks up gusto. We find a side-road up in the hills and setup camp for the night as the storm set in. It’s going to be a cold one…

DAMN! 11F at 830AM, Had to have got down to 5F or so overnight

We awake to all the windows completely iced over, rear window and side windows frozen up, only way out of the truck is to move all the crap piled in the front back onto our bed and then climb out the front seats.

Iced over

She still started on first crank!

Froze our ass off trying to repack the truck in 11F weather, headed into town to grab a coffee then headed south. We wanted to check out the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. Home to the oldest living things in the world.

Weather was still crappy but we knew if we waited any longer they would shut the road down (We have tried 3 times to get up here, every time it has been closed due to inclement weather/snowed out roads)

Road to nowhere?

The ancient bristlecone pines are only found in the highest elevations of the Inyo forest, from 8000-12000ft these beasts have lived for over 4000 years. Older than the next oldest living thing by over 1000 years! I had to see them!

Conditions worsening, 4Runner can take it. My buddy Jimbo gave me my first 4x4 lessons driving in a damn Sierra blizzard, I think I can handle a little powdering.

Made it!

Quick poses! too cold to hang around

Back to the truck and crank the damn heater up!

Drove back out of the park and camped on another backroad near the back entrance to Death Valley

Not a bad sight to wake up too.

Headed up the backroad into Saline Valley, Death Valley National Park

blech, cooties!

DV has some of the most breathtaking scenery in the U.S, the weather/light was crap most of the day so I couldn't get very good pics.

Abandoned homestead

Stopped for some lunch, you can somewhat see our current “organization” system. Still a work in progress.

Saline Valley Rd.

Part of the old trolley system that carted salt from the Saline valley up and over the mountains to Bishop, CA. quite a feat in its day.

Driving down Saline Valleys dirt roads was a blast. The new OME suspension ate it up! I could haul ass now over every type of rock, pothole, dip, whatever. The suspension ate it up and asked for more. I am really happy with it, Thanks again to Any7 Offroad for putting it all together for us.

Riding down the road we came across a Toyota FJ60 broken down on the side of the road. Not being one to leave a fellow Toyota behind we pulled over to see what was up.

Hmmm… 20 year old spare didn't cut the mustard in Death Valley?

Turns out these guys were from LA and were out here cruising for the weekend headed to the Hot springs. They caught a flat the day before and the spare blew out them just a mile down the road. They had been stuck there for about 24 hours now.

At least they had a nice view…

10 minutes with the plug kit and the punctured tire was repaired, took about another 3 hours wrestling with the jack and the stock sagged out springs to get the blown out spare off. Luckily they had beer, which is about all it takes to keep me around for 3 hours.

Stock spare off, not enough clearance to mount the fixed tire though.

Gotta air it down! Ladies… We need your butts.

With the tire aired down we were able to clear the lugs, get it bolted on and air it back up. Back on the road!

We set our separate ways and setup camp somewhere down in the valley.

Woke up in the morning, pack the truck up and headed out. Destination Las Vegas.

Joshua Trees in DV.

Lauren says this is where Dr. Seuss came to write his books, the truffala tree looks oddly similar to the Joshua Tree

Off out the valley, into Nevada.

Reason #1 why Nevada rocks! Was paying ~$4/gal in CA.

We are now lying in bed in a hotel in Las Vegas, couldn't pass up the cheap deal and a hot shower! The adventure continues…

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
The adventure is on it's way, I am super envious and glad you are sharing with us. :beerchug:
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
looks like you guys are having a great time.  keep the pictures coming. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
nice! my buddy has a 4runner and has threatened to run away in it multiple times!

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Alrighty, found a dealer in St. George, Utah that ordered me the t-stat  going to check everything out here today, if we look good I am planning to drive the Tuweep trail down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then head back to St. George to pick up the part tomorrow.

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
Looks like a blast you guys. Dont stop posting great pics.

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Spent yesterday under the truck tracking down my leaks, oil pan gasket is the shitty cork one that leaks, not sure why the guy didnt use the FIPG, so I need to replace that.

Also found that the oil seal on the passenger side input shaft on the diff side is blown out and not holding grease, i think this explains the interesting whirring sounds I am hearing around 40MPH.

My question is, I know the oil pan will be fine as long as I stay on the fluid, How long can I ride out this blown input shaft oil seal? I know I have to drop the diff to replace it but do not have the tools to do so right now.

at the stealership in St. George now, asked them how much to replace the oil seal and they quoted me something like $700. no thanks!

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
are you talking about the input meaning the pinion seal, or where the cv goes into the diff?  either way, from the looks of it in the pictures, you have manual locking hubs.  as long as your not running 4wd, nothing is turning up there and it shouldn't be an issue.  I would say keep the diff full if your running 4wd, and go til you find someplace more reasonable that can change out the seal.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

MORTALIZER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 169
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Awesome trip! good luck you guys! keep the pics coming :driving:

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
awesome . . . . subscribed, looks like a fun trip be safe and have the time of your lives
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
are you talking about the input meaning the pinion seal, or where the cv goes into the diff?  either way, from the looks of it in the pictures, you have manual locking hubs.  as long as your not running 4wd, nothing is turning up there and it shouldn't be an issue.  I would say keep the diff full if your running 4wd, and go til you find someplace more reasonable that can change out the seal.
x2 what he said, se are talkin front right?

anyhow Im so jelous of the freedom the two of you have right know
must be awesome!

thanks for all the pics,
 please keep them coming, its the closest thing to doing what your doing as I can get!!

as always good luck and be safe.

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
talking about the front seal first one away from where the pass side shaft goes into the front diff, its marked in the FSM as an "oil seal" and there is a snap ring as well, snap ring is still there, oil seal is gone.

replaced my theromstat with the dual-stage one and all my overheating woes are gone.

still have the leaky cork seal on the oil pan and that shot seal, but so far so good, just keeping an eye on the oil and diff fluids. posting from Zion National park in Utah right now! Going to have pics up once I hit Colorado

defrag4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Did you buy that front bumper from a guy named Joaquin and how much did you pay for it? Because I gave that bumper to him a year ago and if he sold it to you I wanna make sure I get my share!

Just kidding.....I am envious of your upcoming adventure.
I'm looking forward to your updates.

ha ya i did! that sunnvabitch! i knew i shoulda lowballed him more, this thing is beef.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 10:26:27 PM by defrag4 »

boggerunner

• Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
ive got a shop in grand junction co, if u need help replacing a seal and pan gasket
while u are here, let me know and i will pm u my #, u should check out colorado national monumentwhile u are here too.

blumagoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
If that bumper could talk, oh the stories it could tell.
I'll be watching the adventures you have with it.

gottadog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Sounds like an awesome trip! Excited to read on as time goes by.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Il be sure to watch this thread
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo