Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 223799 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)
« on: Oct 09, 2006, 10:47:34 AM »
 :welcome:

This thread absolutely must start by thanking gotrocks for not only finding the 4Runner but also doing the build for me.  Since I live a little over 300 miles from the build site, I will be watching along with the rest of you.

The starting rig is a 1989 Toyota 4Runner.

The planned build will include the following:

(1) Full Engine Rebuild
(2) SAS with Alcan springs with 35 inch tires
(3) Dual Ultimate Transfer Case
(4) Bumpers and sliders

Note: The bdrunner used parts that come from by black 85 truck.  Links below:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16036.60

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11704.msg122372#msg122372
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2015, 01:09:22 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Blackdiamond - The 4Runner Build-Up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2006, 11:15:55 AM »
i thought 88 was the end of that bodystyle  :dunno:

could be  like the 83  i am parting out,  83 bodystyle  but wasnt sold till 84  so it was titled  a 84  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »
89 was the last of the 1st gen runners, but the pickups had already switched over.

and  :yikes:

HOLY :pokinit: THAT IS THE CLEANEST RUNNER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »
sounds like a sick build. and an extremely clean 4runner cant wait to see the finsihed product.  :beerchug:

does that mean you are getting rid of your pickup blackdiamond?

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »
That runners TOP SHELF, nice find gotrocks  :bowdown:. How much did it set you back?
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »
 :eye: :eye:

:greengrin:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2006, 01:11:18 PM »
does that mean you are getting rid of your pickup blackdiamond?

The pickup will be relieved of the 4.70 transfer case, front axle assembly, rear 3rd, Heavy Duty Cross Member, wheel & tires, rear Alcan springs (going to Colorado for a friend), rear shackles, steering wheel, and a few other minor parts.

gotrocks is going to build what's left and use it as a daily driver.

That runners TOP SHELF, nice find gotrocks  :bowdown:. How much did it set you back?

:nonono:

The coolest thing is that my wife has given the green light for just about anything I want in the build.  :love:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »
:thumbs: nice score!! 

Why the switch from runer to truck?  :dunno:  more room?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:54:11 PM »
:thumbs: nice score!! 

Why the switch from runer to truck?  :dunno:  more room?

There are really two main reasons for this:

(1) The family plan includes a couple of kids in the future.

(2) The last trip to Moab it would have been fantastic to have room for my parents.  When I was single the Moab trip was just my dad and I, but now that I'm married my wife comes along and an extra seat is required.

(3) Sometimes the youth group at my church goes camping and wheeling and they can always use more seats.     

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
There are really two main reasons for this:

(1) The family plan includes a couple of kids in the future.

(2) The last trip to Moab it would have been fantastic to have room for my parents.  When I was single the Moab trip was just my dad and I, but now that I'm married my wife comes along and an extra seat is required.

(3) Sometimes the youth group at my church goes camping and wheeling and they can always use more seats.     

:thumbs: gotcha.  I can't tell you how many times I've crammed 4-5 people in my cab :yikes:  just on the roundup, I had 4 people and a dog :headshake: 

You've got the same reasons I do, but in the future I think I'm going to do a quad cab tacoma :yupyup:  (late 90s)

Can't wait to see how this turns out.  Gotrocks does good work, and he's got a great start :yupyup:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:13:18 PM »
well Blackdiamond I'm glad you got the tread started already. 

yes this was a really clean 4Runner and I was kinda torn on whether or not to sell it to Blackdiamond but Decided that it was good for both of us because I have 2 other Runners at my house right now.  This was origonally bought for Gotrocksgirl as her DD and sell her 2000 Dodge Neon.  But after a little thinking and convincing to gotrockgirl I decided that she could have my 36 hour build 4Runner as her DD and I'd build either my other 87 Runner back up or build Blackdiamonds ex. cab for my DD.

Blackdiamonds new Runner is by far the cleanest one that I've come across in a while.  I does have a little cancer on the Drivers fender but other than that its amazingly clean.  Very Glossy paint and a decent interior.  I will try to get some pictures posted up as the build goes along as always and keep you guys drooling on the way.  If you can believe it we scored this Runner for a mere $1500 and I passed on my good find to Blackdiamond when I decided to sell it. 

What is in store for this week....
well I'm going to get some info on what we'll need for the engine rebuild and try to get the motor pulled sometime this week hopefully.  I am just as anxious to get this rig built as Blackdiamond is but we'll see how fast I can get this one built because of College and getting married in 2 months.  This won't be a 36 hour build again but it should go fairly fast.  When the engine is getting rebuilt I am going to be doing the SAS because of the access that it'll give me to the front end.  I'm hopeing that by Thanksgiving we can have it all completed if College/upcoming wedding and life permits.

As I do this buildup feel free to ask me questions and I'll try to help Blackdiamond do a good buildup thread for you guys to watch.

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »
Wow 1500 is a steal. Runners are nice to have the extra space, but with the top on you can't see much. Thats the only thing I don't like about mine, for wheelin I liked my std cab short bed the best.  :twocents:
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:24:46 PM »
well when we are down in Moab we dont' even run with the top on when the conditions premit.  I never have had a problem with visibility and once you add some moderate body protection you shouldn't have to worry about it to much.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »
I'm hopeing that by Thanksgiving we can have it all completed if College/upcoming wedding and life permits.

Good News!  I wasn't going to ask having done the college thing and the wedding thing...but not at the same time!  :yikes:

As I do this buildup feel free to ask me questions and I'll try to help Blackdiamond do a good buildup thread for you guys to watch.

No distracting gotrocks during the build!  This thread is for me to watch him build my rig!    :eye: :eye:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2006, 06:13:38 PM »

No distracting gotrocks during the build!  This thread is for me to watch him build my rig!    :eye: :eye:

wishful thinking, I'm sure.  Right?  :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
wishful thinking, I'm sure.  Right?  :hahaha:

:bat:

:gap:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
That is really clean and for an amazing price! How if the frame? Any rust? :nerv:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2006, 04:27:34 PM »
That is really clean and for an amazing price! How if the frame? Any rust? :nerv:

I'm sure the boss wouldn't have purchased it and sold it to me if it wasn't :bling:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2006, 04:45:56 PM »
 :worthless:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
The coolest thing is that my wife has given the green light for just about anything I want in the build.  :love:

Nice Runner. :) :thumbs: And the best part is the "Green Light."  :clap2: Just be careful as that green light sometimes turns red really fast. :yupyup:

I agree the visability issue with a 4 Runner is nonexistant once you take the top off or do some creative cutting with the fiberglass. :flamer:

JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
:worthless:

I would agree, but I can't  :whip: until I get him some money.

Plus I know how busy he is with truck projects, school and wedding stuff.

He is really helping me out on this project so I will be patient.  :toiletwait:

Nice Runner. :) :thumbs: And the best part is the "Green Light."  :clap2: Just be careful as that green light sometimes turns red really fast. :yupyup:

The "Green Light" is here to stay.  I expect to panic financially long before she does.  The goal is a rig that can support a family (i.e. more than two) and she knows the current truck is the wrong rig.  She was actually the one to push me into getting dual cases, I was ready to save the budget but she said I talk about it enough I should just do it.

:love:

That's a nice 4Runner, but I want a full top for trips to Moab, Colorado or the Rubicon.   

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:01:22 PM »
Gotrocks cant wait to see this thing get built along with the truck too. Keep me up to date whats goin on and if I ever get a weekend off soon ill come turn some wrenches and do some welding with ya. I havnt welded something in a long time lol. Hope everything is goin good for ya down there. Laters

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
I am preparing to order my Alcan Springs and I need some weight information.

(1) All Pro Style Rear Bumper

(2) Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty Cross Member

(3) Dual Ultimate

(4) Marlin Crawler style Rock Sliders

:help:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2006, 11:04:39 PM »
oh and don't forget a future winch up front.

What I'd do is ask those questions to the guys at MC when you order you parts, and find out how much that stuff weighs right from the source.  I'd guess that the rear All Pro bumper is very close to the weight of the marlin one if not the exact same.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »
I got the Alcan springs ordered yesterday along with a few suspension parts.

Hopefully today I will be able to get the rest of the parts I need on order as well.   :crossed:
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 07:51:03 PM by blackdiamond »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »
 :whip:

Has the engine been separated from the 4Runner yet?

:toiletwait:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:34:11 PM »
not yet.  Thats on my to do list for next week hopefully.  I will have my engine done the middle of next week and so yours is going to go under the knife within the next week or so.

mrsblackdiamond

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Female Posts: 10
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:42:50 PM »
 :turtle3:

Hurry up already!  You're sllllooooowwwww!!!!!!

But bd just reminded me that's the whole point of the build. :hammerhead:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »
not my SAS builds.  once the engine gets pulled its going to go fast.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »
 :date:

blackdiamond + mrsblackdiamond

:love: