Author Topic: Blackdiamond Build-up  (Read 20533 times)

YOTARICH

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -425
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Dec '05
  • I Got The Wrong Parts Again
    • View Profile
Re: Blackdiamond Build-up
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:22:06 PM »
I learned my lesson on that brake issue a year back or so.
just curious , How much did the shop charge to change the bearings on the rear axle.
Last time I did that, it was a royal pain in the arse.
Might be worth it to me when mine blow again

Rich
94' p/u totally stock   three stickers

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:59:20 PM »
Marlin Board Members :shake_head: Blackdiamond

I appreciate this thread not being overloaded with people  :haha: at and  :flamer: me.

When it comes to wrenching, I am often amazed by my own stupidity.  :hammer:  :screwy:

I just had the wheel cylinders replaced a few months back so at least I should only have to replace one.  Toyota is getting the part for tomorrow.

Now do you see why it is soooo important that I build my truck to be reliable?  :gap:

That's why we all are here, building a truck is a learning experience to those that are not techs or mechs, I'm not one and have needed to know what would be conciedered a newbie question that I've never come across.  If there is one thing I am dreading is the day I have to pull a front axle, never done it. Luckly (or not) I've never busted a front axle and due to time constraints have had my mech do any work on my frontend so far. Fortunatly that would be about the only thing I would have not had to work on myself, and from what I've seen it is probably the toughest.

I give props to those that do ask the simple questions  and learn how to work on thier trucks so that they don't just stand there with a dumb look on thier face when they do break something on the trail while the rest of the group works on it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »
It comes easy to some, not so easy to others. Regardless, if you put your mind to it, anything can be accomplished with a little time and guidance. Whatever the case, don't be afraid to tackle something you've never done before. What is the worst that could happen? 99 our of 100 times, if you screw up it can be fixed. 1 out of 100 times it will have to be replaced. Even if you do screw something up, at the very least you've walked away with some experience, or as BD said "not as ignorant." The more experience you get, the more you can tackle bigger and more complex jobs.

That's why a Haynes manual or FSM is so great: Experience in a book. :thumbs:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,053
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:28:38 PM »
I got the Haynes and Chilton's manuals so there is hope.

How much did the shop charge to change the bearings on the rear axle.

Bayview 4x4 did the work and charged me 30 minutes labor ($65 per hour shop rate) on the easy side and apologized for charging an hour for the difficult side.  It was $105 OTD.  The other benefit is the mechanic that does the work is excellent, he can work on anything that I own no questions asked.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »
hey I got the factory service manual if you want a copy

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »
hey I got the factory service manual if you want a copy

I have that on my computer as well.  Thanks
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
Marlin Board Members :shake_head: Blackdiamond

I appreciate this thread not being overloaded with people  :haha: at and  :flamer: me.

When it comes to wrenching, I am often amazed by my own stupidity.  :hammer:  :screwy:

I just had the wheel cylinders replaced a few months back so at least I should only have to replace one.  Toyota is getting the part for tomorrow.

Now do you see why it is soooo important that I build my truck to be reliable?  :gap:
you should see some of my threads :headshake:  I've asked some dumb questions myself.

The first time I ever did anything to an engine was on a 350 in auto shop.  Next thing I  know, I'm pulling heads, then engines outta my toyota :yikes:  Night and day difference I tell you, and I had no idea what I was doing :smack:  Thanks to the folks on here, I've gotten a lot more knowledgable in my truck, so it isn't as bad. And of course, mistakes always help  too :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:06:33 PM »
Thanks to a friend, the toy is now on the ground and rolling smoothly.  The brake pedal is a little soft so I'm not completely done yet, but it drives ok and stops reasonably well too.

:thumbs:

It looks like I have a spare wheel cylinder because I just over extended the old one and I suspect that it will work fine as a backup.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
sounds good bd

glad to hear that you got it back together, now if only I had something to drive

YOTARICH

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -425
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Dec '05
  • I Got The Wrong Parts Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2006, 01:28:45 AM »
Is that your daily driver Blackdiamond?

Just curious if you are in the same boat as me.

My truck is my daily driver.  It's really hard sometimes whether it's and upgrade or something breaks.  It gets tough sometimes.  My truck has been down for a month now.  Good thing I live a 1/4 mile from work and found a beater for 200$.  But that thing is going to blow up anyday now.  My truck "should" be on the road again on monday.  If marlin sends me the right parts this time. I am confident
94' p/u totally stock   three stickers

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
sounds good bd

glad to hear that you got it back together, now if only I had something to drive

At 1:23 am you should either still be in the shop  :flamer:  or sleeping  :sleepy:

I think you have plenty of things to drive, just not wheel!   

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »
Is that your daily driver Blackdiamond?

It is my daily driver, but I generally ride the bus/ferry to work because parking is about $5 a day and the commute is about 10 minutes difference.  My wife works later than I do so it is what I drive.  We often drive it instead of the Tundra just to keep it in shape.  I can survive without it, but it is a pain in the butt.  So far I have been successful in building a truck that wheel well and still rolls 75 mph on the highway without scaring everybody.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Feb 12, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
At 1:23 am you should either still be in the shop :flamer: or sleeping :sleepy:

I think you have plenty of things to drive, just not wheel!

well I was in the shop last night until 11:30.  My old high school AAA was here at wally world for the weekend playing in a b-ball tournament and so I went to cheer them on in the championship. 

Yes I do have the Ford truck (actually its the only running vehicle in my stalls at the moment) but its not what you'd call a wheeler thats for sure.  I'd also like to stop paying for the rediculous price of deisel.  So in my mind I don't really have something to drive.  So sad 5 toyota's and non in running condition.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »
I finally took the time to figure out how to adjust the rear drums.  I'm sure they are not perfect, but my brake pedal is back.  :greengrin:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:56:40 AM »
I'll take a look at them this weekend.  I'd suggest if you haven't already to tie up your proportion valve in the back because once you lift the truck it'll never work properly again.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Feb 24, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
I'll take a look at them this weekend.  I'd suggest if you haven't already to tie up your proportion valve in the back because once you lift the truck it'll never work properly again.

I already cut the rod and installed the AOR adjustment bracket.  I posted pictures of the part somewhere on the board  :headscratch: