Author Topic: What Really Grinds My Gears  (Read 28282 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: What Really Grinds My Gears
« Reply #90 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:50:05 AM »
Dito does good work, but often poises himself for easy shots that don't cover the fast parts of the track well or use a bad angle.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
This
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #92 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
Items that come with there very own convenient carrying pouch.....

:thumbs:

But it's damn near impossible to put them back in the convenient carrying pouch after the first use.........

:thumbdown:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
Oh, you mean christmas lights?!

Perforated lines on a package box that open correctly for about 3/4", then just the colored layer comes off - or perforated portion you can supposedly pop with your finger or thumb, but is usually so hard the package implodes as you ever more aggressively push on the damn thing till you're  :maddest:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ThorInc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:43:39 AM »
IQ tests. Here's why I don't put too much stock in them.

A loooooong time ago I was a kid in grade school. Our class was given an IQ test. One question consisted of illustrations of a couple different cuts of meat, and a salmon steak, and a plate of liver. Which of the four didn't fit in with the other three?

I figured the first three were the meat, or the muscle itself, of an animal. Liver was guts, not muscle, so in my mind, liver was the odd man out.

Not so. I was told the fish was cold-blooded so that made it the correct answer. Incidentally, to this day I believe I was right.

I was told the right answer was determined by asking a large group of people the same question. Whatever the majority says is accepted as correct. One flaw in such logic is that historically, it was not all that long ago the majority of people believed the Earth is flat. Of course, they were told that by the smartest, most highly educated folks around at the time. Pfffffttt
FAIL!  The world is flat,duhhh.....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #95 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:02:06 AM »
I'm at my parents in Bakersfiled (from LA) to fix their washing machine.

I need to replace a $100 plus part (and that's the cheapest I could find) due to a $5 bearing.

I MIGHT be able to replace the bearing (no guarantees) if I drove back to LA to use my hydraulic press................

So I ordered the parts (2 day shipping)   and will take back the old part to see if I can fix it later and have a spare when the bearing fails again 8 years from now......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
^^ I agree!! I have had a couple attic exhaust fan failures. Dry bushing that -- IF you could buy it -- is probably worth less than a buck. But you can't buy it, in fact you can't even buy a new motor. Well technically you can, but only special order AND it's cheaper to buy a whole new fan assembly. Just one more example of the throw-away-instead-of-repair society that we have, sadly, become. No damn wonder the landfills keep piling up.   :tantrum:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
When you ask somebody a simple question, they respond in a shitty way, you attempt to leave since you're the bigger person and can't legally strangle them, then they try to say it's your fault they responded like a snot-nosed brat.

And since it's the season - open mouth coughing or sneezing.  Use your damn sleeve!
RIP KYOTA

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #98 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
And since it's the season - open mouth coughing or sneezing.  Use your damn sleeve!

That's a good one. Manners 101 :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

ThorInc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
People that know everything but acheive by design, very little!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #100 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
3.4 oil filter location in a 4Runner.......WTH??
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:24:08 PM »
Local rock crawl scoring... 

My wife and I and a few freinds put these on for a while. We had a penalty based scoring system we developed over something like 12 years.  It operates very similar too the scoring our Australian and various European brethren use.  It worked, well.  Created a very equal playing field regardless of fast or slow driving style.  You really had to use your brain.  We had a real drivers' sport going.  I am now too broke and too busy to put on events, so the spot is being filled by out local 4WD clubbers. Our local club has insisted in re-inventing the sport to become more spectator and dumbass friendly.  The changes have ranged from an overly complex handicap system, and now, this year it will be deteriorated to simply time and cone penalties.

I have been trying for years to convince folks that 4x4 Trials is not a tuff truck or a mud race.  Oh well.

Hold your beer up in the air and yell "Whooohooo!" 
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2016, 03:35:31 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
Unfortunately "driving skill" equals no drama and is boring for spectators, tire size and HP is all that matters now. 

Can't stand the TTC, it should be called "BTC"(biggest tire challenge), the last time I looked at the rigs, most were running 54's. :shake:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »
I have to figure out how to get back into the small competitions again.  I really enjoyed it.  We had to start a whole scene around good driving to do it last time.  I guess I need to get a few guys into it again so I have somebody to drive with. 
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2016, 09:11:02 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:14:16 PM »
Might try finding people in your area through the 4x4 forums who still run 35's or smaller, or who wheel IFS or unpopular rigs.  A lot in the Mitsu and Nissan hobby still wheel small tires since there isn't a lot of aftermarket support for their rigs.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
I used to just chase people down that were driving their trail worthy rigs and ask them if they wanted to go wheeling.  It worked extremely well at the time probably because I myself was driving a stripped down flat bed Toyota.  I think I un-knowingly weeded out trailor queens with this method.
– Steve McQueen

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 426
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
Sounds like fun, and if I was in your area, would definitely want to participate.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
IT'S REFUND SEASON......
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
IT'S REFUND SEASON......
tax ads.

I never get a refund.

A refund means you gave the gov't an interest free loan.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #108 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »
I always say that it is better to owe them a little than get some back, just means you gave them a short term loan if you get a refund.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »
I work in a shipyard and my engineering group deals with the periodic structural maintenance which boils down to finding, evaluating, and repairing rust.  It's always a guessing game as to what the condition of any given boat will be.  It is highly variable from space to space and is dependent on many factors ranging from the temperature of the water that it was in and the quality of the last paint job.  We are constantly asked to quantify our work ahead of time and we always tell people that we can with some reliability estimate how much the repairs will cost for an entire overhaul period, but we simply cannot predict the level of repairs for any specific area.

We have more work on the horizon that we have the ability to do so one of our upcoming projects is working to contract out a large portion of our work.  The need was identified late in the game so we've been having meetings with the project big wigs and the office that is in charge of contracting trying to find a solution.  We have been telling them that the majority of our work is not discrete and difficult to quantify but everyone just hears what they want and keeps saying that "we have history" so should be able to nail it down.

Today, my coworker sat down with the contract office to go over the final details in some of the stuff we had written up (they had already reviewed it several times electronically) and today their paradigms shifted without a clutch.  They finally realized that we can't tell them exactly what will require repair.  The meeting was effectively stopped, we were told to just put things on hold for now, because the type of contract they are working towards won't work as the contract would have endless unanswerable questions when trying to bid.

I really wish I could have been at the meeting if for no other reason to him try to keep a professional disposition as the contracting office connected the dots and smoke starting coming out of their ears.  I'm sure this isn't the end, but it made for an entertaining end to my day.

I think the final straw was a different engineering group that has a small portion of their work that is similar to ours tell the that they couldn't identify the scope of the repair in a discrete way prior to our formal inspection after the project starts.  Sometimes it takes someone else to pile on before the message is heard.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »
Sounds like tearing into an old house.  You don't know what you are getting into until you start taking it apart and once you take it apart you are committed to doing whatever you have to before it can be fixed.

Except of course these have to stay afloat.
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Sounds like tearing into an old house.  You don't know what you are getting into until you start taking it apart and once you take it apart you are committed to doing whatever you have to before it can be fixed.

Except of course these have to stay afloat.

That's a fairly good analogy.  We can get pretty close on what the overall house renovation cost will be, but they are asking us to essentially make a list of each repair that will be required based on the last houses that we renovated.

It actually get's better today as the person that just "got it" yesterday is now trying to explain her newfound thimble of knowledge with the contract boss (i.e. her bosses boss, I think).  Now she's really walking in my shoes!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
Dealership sales commercials claiming they are "Priced to sell!!" No fooling, they are in the business of selling, why would they not be 'priced to sell'? I guess by their logic, if it's not a special sale going on, don't bother coming in because we would rather not sell you a vehicle just now.  :headscratch:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

wideopenoutdoors

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »
I dislike tampa because its a city but my college is here (USF) and to make matters worse Donald trump is hosting a rally on campus at the sundome so everything is more f&cked than usual  :maddest: :mad: there already is chaos as people start showing up some protesting and some supporting and some just here to be here.... I just want to take my exam and get in my yota go back to shady hills :maddest: :mad: :thumbdown:
when in doubt throttle out

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
I just want to take my exam and get in my yota go back to shady hills :maddest: :mad: :thumbdown:

I feel the same way about this as I don't have time to follow campaigns as I'd like. We just can't make the mistake of living like sheep and not\ paying attention to the world around us because then we become part responsible when something doesn't go our way. At least take a moment to mark your phone calendar with a 2-week alarm leading up to Election Day Tues Nov 8..... and do your own research reading about the pros and cons for the nominees and then MAKE SURE to vote!! :_order:

wideopenoutdoors

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
Someone drove a full size dodge down the crowded sidewalk today...
when in doubt throttle out

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
A recent event reminded me of this thread ;)

I choose to follow the Biblical food laws and only eat fish that have both fins and scales (Lev 11:9), such as Salmon, Yellowtail, Cod, Rock Fish, Tuna, Butter Fish, Tilapia, Mackerel, .... mmmmmmTasty.  :yumyum: I therefore don't eat Shark, Octopus, Clams, Oysters, Crab, Shrimp, Squid, Urchin, Eel, et cetera...

So why is it then if I go to a restaurant, let's say Italian, and order a Seafood Pasta, that I have to assume this is not fish when fish IS seafood?? :maddest:

Why don't we list Hamburgers as "Landfood Burgers" and leave it up to the consumer to inquire if it is Beef, Lamb, Pork, Buffalo, or Bison? No, these will be literally listed as "Buffalo Burger". Then why is it acceptable to list Shrimp Pasta as a "Seafood Pasta" but not Salmon Pasta?

A few weeks ago I was at a fancy Hispanic restaurant and was craving a Fish Taco. I asked our waiter what was in their "Seafood Taco" and my wife, knowing that I don't eat what apparently "the world" considers as "Seafood", tells me it doesn't matter what is in it because it is sure to NOT be fish. Well why not? Do tasty fish not also live in the sea?

So this made me think about one of my favorite seafood burrito's, the Ono/Wahoo Burrito at Baja Fresh, and with the topic fresh on my mind, last week I tried ordering one as a "Seafood Burrito" and the lady taking my order had to inform me that this will not be served with any shrimp or lobster.

I think the issue I have with this is that if someone would like a mollusc or crustacean pasta, they are allowed to ask for a "seafood" dish. But because I am "such a rebel" and would like a creamy pasta with smoked Salmon, it's apparently against the law to order this as Seafood Pasta.

BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
OH! Just remembered a second food ordering thing that definitely grinds my gears!!

My favorite burger in town is the vegetarian Garden Burger at Dog House Grill (http://www.firestonegrill.com/dog-house-grill/) right next to the University I graduated from.

Every. Single. Time. I. Order. The. Garden. Burger..... they have to ask me if I'm okay with the "vegetarian patty".

WELL HELLO I SHOULD HOPE SO

Take a look at their menu, not only is the main ingredient listed in plain sight, "Veggie patty", it's the first two words describing the product!!

You'll probably think this is crazy, after all I started this crazy thread, but for a while I actually refused to answer their question. I simply responded to their question by repeating my order, "I would like a Garden Burger please".

Ok, I get it, it isn't called a "Vegetarian Burger" it is called a "Garden Burger", which one could argue would be like every other burger having garden vegetables surrounding a meat patty. But the veggie patty is listed right in the description right beneath the title of the burger! If you're going to insult my intelligence by assuming I cannot possibly read the ingredients, then why not also double-check with every other listed ingredient?

This is not cool, man.

So a few years ago it finally got to me so much that I had to ask them why the hell they keep asking if I'm okay with a vegetable patty despite being clearly listed, and apparently customers were ordering the burger, taking a bite or two, and then complaining that it did not come with a meat patty. The restaurant was actually taking back the burger, throwing it in the trash, and issuing them a full refund on the burger.

What, so if a customer orders a 14" Bilstein shock and receives a 14" Bilstein shock and installs a 14" Bilstein shock and runs it for a trail or two, then complains he didn't know it would be a 14" Bilstein shock and would like to return it in some sort of unusable condition requiring us to throw it away, that it is our fault and we should be expected to refund the $$ completely..........?

Operating a restaurant and having to deal with customers who cannot read and don't even know what they are ordering would be one of the most frustrating things I could think of....

BigMike

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #118 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »
The 'Garden Burger' includes snails and slugs..........

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
The 'Garden Burger' includes snails and slugs..........

:cheese:

baaaaahahahahaha!! :rofl: :rofl: