Author Topic: What Really Grinds My Gears  (Read 27808 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: What Really Grinds My Gears
« Reply #150 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:53:06 AM »
... So why is it then if I go to a restaurant, let's say Italian, and order a Seafood Pasta, that I have to assume this is not fish when fish IS seafood?? :maddest: ...

I think the issue I have with this is that if someone would like a mollusc or crustacean pasta, they are allowed to ask for a "seafood" dish. But because I am "such a rebel" and would like a creamy pasta with smoked Salmon, it's apparently against the law to order this as Seafood Pasta.

Forgot to share another experience on this during my trip to Hawaii earlier this month. We go to a Vietnamese fusion restaurant and I order vermicelli noodles with cooked European Seabass. When our server brings out my plate he sets it down and offers me their house sauce. I ask what's in the sauce and he rattles off the ingredients which included crab meat. I tell him, "Thank you for the offer but I do not eat any seafood", to which he points out in a rude way that there is a fish sitting atop my noodles.

I just sat there. Stared at him..... Motionless.

I can't. I can't take this anymore. This food industry needs to get their act together!!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #151 on: Jul 18, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
Forgot to share another experience on this during my trip to Hawaii earlier this month. We go to a Vietnamese fusion restaurant and I order vermicelli noodles with cooked European Seabass. When our server brings out my plate he sets it down and offers me their house sauce. I ask what's in the sauce and he rattles off the ingredients which included crab meat. I tell him, "Thank you for the offer but I do not eat any seafood", to which he points out in a rude way that there is a fish sitting atop my noodles.

I just sat there. Stared at him..... Motionless.

I can't. I can't take this anymore. This food industry needs to get their act together!!

I knew you didnt eat pork but fish? you should have smacked him with the fish. :bat:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #152 on: Jul 19, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »
I knew you didnt eat pork but fish?
:willynilly:

Noooooo I _do_ eat fish! That's the thing! I eat fish, which are seafood, but I do not eat bottom feeders or carnivores like sharks, which are seafood :conf: :conf: :conf: According to restaurant definitions this is a circular statement that does not make sense.

I eat the way I do because I choose to follow Christ's example, but if the reader would like a scientific approach then I highly recommend this video: The Science Behind Biblical Clean & Unclean Foods.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #153 on: Jul 19, 2016, 11:27:25 AM »

Noooooo I _do_ eat fish! That's the thing! I eat fish, which are seafood, but I do not eat bottom feeders or carnivores like sharks, which are seafood :conf: :conf: :conf: According to restaurant definitions this is a circular statement that does not make sense.

I eat the way I do because I choose to follow Christ's example, but if the reader would like a scientific approach then I highly recommend this video: The Science Behind Biblical Clean & Unclean Foods.
Server corrected you? wow he didn't want a tip..

I think the reason for the misunderstanding was because your classification of seafood is a blanket definition that includes more than just bottom feeders and carnivorous sea life like sharks. Technically, almost every freshly caught fish in Hawaii comes from the pacific. The cultural, and possibly educational background of your server could have given them a prejudicial reason to believe that all lifeforms caught in the ocean were considered to be "seafood".

To save yourself some faith in humanity, you could simply explain in the future that you don't eat bottom feeders or carnivorous sea life.

But the server shouldn't have tried to correct you, even if you had a crab on your plate. That was rude.
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #154 on: Jul 24, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »

Regards,
BigMike
:thumbs:   I didnt catch the crab the first time around. 

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #155 on: Jul 25, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »
I have to print thru an old XP machine because the Win 8.1 HP printer drivers on my laptop insist I'm out of ink and won't print.

(I refilled the cartridge)....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #156 on: Aug 05, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
man I hate it when ppl never change their avatars. (maybe I should change mine?)   :yesnod:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Aug 07, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
man I hate it when ppl never change their avatars. (maybe I should change mine?)   :yesnod:

Holy crap, you finally made it back!  I honestly thought you passed away in the great glory hole incident of '15...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #158 on: Aug 07, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »
lived though that. just a bit "banged up" last thing I remember I'm sitting in my chair with a bottle and lost a few days. time to drink up! :boozer:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: