Author Topic: What Really Grinds My Gears  (Read 27703 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: What Really Grinds My Gears
« Reply #120 on: Feb 13, 2016, 02:56:59 AM »
Someone walking by in front of my house glanced over at me (I'm standing in my garage, workin on my yota... inside my garage) and he asked me "Is this your car?"

Now, I'm the only one around.. Well, besides this neanderthal in my driveway playing detective.

So I ignored him, gave him a wave and said have a good day... Sure I might have been a bit stern about it, but COME ON!

Umm... HELLO?! :smack: ANYONE HOME MCFLY?

So yeah, I guess rhetorical questions really grind my gears.
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Someone walking by in front of my house glanced over at me (I'm standing in my garage, workin on my yota... inside my garage) and he asked me "Is this your car?"

Now, I'm the only one around.. Well, besides this neanderthal in my driveway playing detective.

So I ignored him, gave him a wave and said have a good day... Sure I might have been a bit stern about it, but COME ON!

Maybe you were working on it for a friend?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Feb 14, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »

watch your house.... this guy was probably casing your garage to figure out what to steal when he comes back later......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #123 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »
That's the feeling I got. Luckily I've got 2 cameras covering that side of my house, which record audio and 1080p video backed up to my home server with 2tb of space, effectively giving me about a week's worth of recordings that I can go into and grab. I copied this experience just in case.
Here's what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9632H8/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_1PoWwbB7AEPT1
You can set it up so that it records on movement and alerts you as well.
I can cover my place with as many as I want since they're modular...
So that plus my Conceal carry, and the 12 ga by my bed, I should be good :thumbsup:
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,290
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #124 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
I wonder why rhetorical questions grind pgragg's gears.....
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #125 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:01:06 PM »
Lol

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Idiot neighbors with multiple pos vehicles which look and run like poop, are all loud, and have an owner who runs them for several minutes before leaving and after returning, regularly revving them for no apparent reason.  Get this :pokinit: out of your system at a normal time of day when the people who aren't on welfare aren't home!

My first gen may be kinda loud and obnoxious, but for that reason I do not drive it early morning or late at night.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #127 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
That's funny.. And I feel kind of bad because after I rebuilt my engine, and had it installed, I ran it open headers for about 30 seconds at about 2am. I regret it now but at the time I thought it was necessary.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:12:12 PM »
Idiot neighbors with multiple pos vehicles which look and run like poop, are all loud, and have an owner who runs them for several minutes before leaving and after returning, regularly revving them for no apparent reason.  Get this :pokinit: out of your system at a normal time of day when the people who aren't on welfare aren't home!

My first gen may be kinda loud and obnoxious, but for that reason I do not drive it early morning or late at night.

so I used to work @ 1 am..... And my Toyota didn't have an exhaust other than a cat..... And of course I had to warm it up, ran like crap when it was cold.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wideopenoutdoors

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:03:08 AM »
We have spent all night working on trucks to crank them up and drive them on the trialer at 3am, open header and all.... At the mud events there is the 1000hp wake up call for when the people camped next to you are being obnoxious
when in doubt throttle out

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10958
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »
When you drive an hour and a half each way to find that the item you are coming to purchase is %&*#$@ and you wasted your time and gas.  :maddest:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,290
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #131 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »
When you drive an hour and a half each way to find that the item you are coming to purchase is %&*#$@ and you wasted your time and gas.  :maddest:

X2. Before it was convenient to search for and order stuff online, I used to drive across town to get R/C car parts and small electronic components, 26 miles/40 mins round trip for Hobby Town USA and 21 miles/28 mins round trip for Sparky Electronics. I would call them and ask if they sell such and such part, they said yes, I drive over and they say "Ok it'll be $xx.xx and will be here in 2-3 days." :thud: This even happened after specifically telling them I'm on my way over. It's as if they don't understand people have a life and they assume I'll probably buy something I don't need to make the trip worthwhile.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:02:16 PM »
When you buy used parts off an online forum to have them come in a smashed up, barely taped box with no packing.  guess who got to spend their afternoon with a thread file to fix a set of spindles? :maddest:
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »
Stupid  :moon: gov't rules & regs, in this case USFS. Shasta Lake is loaded with driftwood from winter storms. It's a boating hazard and the USFS wants the public's help removing it. Should be open season, take all you want thankyouvery much, but NO they have rules.

You need to get a permit. It's free, but only good for two weeks.  :headscratch:

You're limited to four cords, personal use only. That's more than most people would pick up, but why a limit at all?  :dunno:

And my favorite -- you can only pick up wood that's washed up on shore, NOT if it's in the water. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? The problem IS wood in the water.   :screwy:

That's it, I'm done for now. And yeah, I feel better...   :wave:

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/driftwood-becoming-an-issue-on-shasta-lake/38590962
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #134 on: Mar 19, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
Dont get in a  and collect whats being a problem but get whats on the beech  :smack:  that sure sounds like government  :cheese:
I guess they figure if you pick up whats out of the water the stuff in the water will then decide to land itself 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #135 on: Mar 19, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
When you buy used parts off an online forum to have them come in a smashed up, barely taped box with no packing.  guess who got to spend their afternoon with a thread file to fix a set of spindles? :maddest:

feel free to post that here in the bad seller thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80991.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Mar 19, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
Stupid  :moon: gov't rules & regs, in this case USFS. Shasta Lake is loaded with driftwood from winter storms. It's a boating hazard and the USFS wants the public's help removing it. Should be open season, take all you want thankyouvery much, but NO they have rules.

You need to get a permit. It's free, but only good for two weeks.  :headscratch:

You're limited to four cords, personal use only. That's more than most people would pick up, but why a limit at all?  :dunno:

And my favorite -- you can only pick up wood that's washed up on shore, NOT if it's in the water. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? The problem IS wood in the water.   :screwy:

You may remember when I used to get my firewood from the lake.  Rules were the same, and it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't allow more.  You also couldn't cut a tree that was above the waterline, so if a large oak fell part way into the water, you could only recover what was below the water line.  That said, while the wood on the water is the issue, they do pull equipment into some of the easier to access spots, push as much wood into the coves as they can and pull it onto shore, which will now be a pita with the lake nearly full  :gap:  Great way to get some really, really nice wood!  Used to get lucky sometimes and find some big chunks of cedar, and much of the wood is already stripped of bark. 

And I do not understand why they care what it is used for.  Main concern should be getting it cleared out before the season!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ThorInc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Mar 20, 2016, 06:30:11 AM »
That divisive politics translates to divisive government.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #138 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
2 for 1 burger deals.....

I can't eat that much anymore.

Just give me one at half price.............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #139 on: Mar 21, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
When you study hard for an accounting (or any other subject) test, but the test terms don't match up with the study terms you've been using for he past 3 weeks... Ugh..

Axman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling the North West
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #140 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:38:36 PM »
When you study hard for an accounting (or any other subject) test, but the test terms don't match up with the study terms you've been using for he past 3 weeks... Ugh..

X2!!!!!!
I just had the same issue with my calculus Final!
and, when the professor sends out an announcement that specifically states 3 subjects that will not be on the final exam, so you dont need to worry about them. Yet when you take the exam, all 3 are on the test...  :mad: :maddest: :tantrum:
1984 Toyota Ext Cab
- 22r Weber 38, Offy intake, header & full exhaust, 9.5:1, ported and oversized valves
- 36x13.5 Irok bias, 4.56, spool & Detroit, Dual Cases, Longfield Birfs

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,505
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Apr 01, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
So, :phone: I phone the closest auto parts supplier(25min away).  give him exact spec on vehicle, year, make, engine, 2wd. Tells me have said part.  :driving: drive all the way down there, purchase, I'm looking at it while he give me the receipt, on the outside of product, it specifically states the wrong motor. I'm like this must be the wrong part, because I specifically asked for this motor. his response: oh wow. :maddest: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!. looks up the part I need, not in stock. needless to say, now I have to drive 35 min, to there competitor. If you didn't hear me the first time, it wouldn't of killed you to ask me again.....  :tantrum: man,i feel better already :thumbs:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #142 on: Apr 01, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Black Jelly Beans

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Apr 01, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
Black Jelly Beans

you can save em all up, and send them to me, that's my favorite

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #144 on: Apr 01, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
Sorry, my dad gets a baggie of them...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Apr 02, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
Black Jelly Beans

Like biting into a concentrated pill of garbage  :reg:
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Apr 02, 2016, 12:49:55 PM »
Black Jelly Beans

Green Apple Skittles
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Apr 02, 2016, 01:52:12 PM »
Like biting into a concentrated pill of garbage  :reg:

Maybe that's why they call me white trash

pursang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Jul 17, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
What really grinds my gears is all the crap additives watering down our gas, for the last 20 years chevron have been running television ads for how clean your engine will be with this techroline additive, complete BS, I ran this stuff exclusively on a rebuilt V Twin and a few years later when I had to pull off the cylinders I discovered the heads and pistons were just as caked with carbon as if it ran with straight gas.

pursang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Jul 17, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
More importantly, on hot summer days why can't macdonalds put a "Were out of ice cream" sign at the drive threw entrance, when, they are in fact, OUT OF ICE CREAM  :driving: