Author Topic: What Really Grinds My Gears  (Read 28281 times)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Re: What Really Grinds My Gears
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
If you asked to borrow $200 from me and I gave you $120, would you mind paying me back $200?
Better still, loan me $200 and I'll repay $120...   :gap:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »
When the manager at work plays favorites and cuts my hours for his buddy.

Manager " he needs more hours because he drives a diesel to work and spends more on fuel than you do."

WTF :headscratch:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
Hope this is not inappropriate, but it really grinds my gears. Every time there's a school shooting or other mass shooting, there's a rash of people from the prez on down calling for tighter gun control laws. It's an automatic knee-jerk reaction for them. Never mind that there are plenty of laws already on the books against what has been done. Why not take a more logical approach of thoroughly analyzing each incident and figuring out what led up to it, what might have been done to prevent it, and how might that be applied to help prevent similar tragedies in the future? Stuff like this happens too often (I'd guess that some are just copycats) and I don't believe calls for more gun laws will do anything to change that. If the prez had any leadership skills ::) he would encourage bright minds to work on the problem using logic, reasoning, and common sense instead of simply jumping on the "more laws" bandwagon.  :twocents:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Bet you a 6 pack that the school shooting schedule will subside a bit after elections are over.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
This sorry piece of crap called Obama is as predictable as sunrise and sunset, IE school shooting. After each event he has taken center stage, offered a very few condolences, put on his "angry obama mask" then launched into a longer speech on more gun control then walks off of his stage. He is a sick treasonist and I blame his lack of leadership and his muslim background for this type of behavior. He is phony, cheap and very transparent in wanting to bring America to it's knees.

And I am very sorry that our children are paying the price for this a-hole!!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Oct 03, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
A minor thing, but... VIN number.

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number, so if you say VIN number, it's like saying Vehicle Identification Number number.  :screwy:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 03, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number, so if you say VIN number, it's like saying Vehicle Identification Number number.  :screwy:

ATM machine

Commercials say kitchen cabinets are made from cherry wood...really? I thought someone glued together a bunch of maraschinos to build cabinets.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 03, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
I dislike how when I enter "99" into my microwave it runs for ninety-nine seconds but when I enter "100" it only runs for sixty seconds. Either they are seconds or they are minutes. I remember my multiplication tables and don't need this crossover.

Huh, first world problems...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
Bet you a 6 pack that the school shooting schedule will subside a bit after elections are over.

:yikes:  kinda what I said at work.  This happened a lot less often several years ago and has only become "the norm" during the current presidents' reign...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »
:yikes:  kinda what I said at work.  This happened a lot less often several years ago and has only become "the norm" during the current presidents' reign...

Because President Barry has the spine of an earthworm and has created a vacuum of leadership.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #40 on: Oct 06, 2015, 08:27:40 PM »
GIF Wars!

I really like clicking on it and watching the gifs, but holy hell does it take forever and often times turn into a blinky unloadable webpage.
If you see it, its for sale.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #41 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:15:52 AM »

ATM machine

YES. GREAT observations! :yesnod: From now on I'll be asking for VI numbers and AT machines :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I just ask the VIN or for an atm  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Oct 13, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
I just ask the VIN or for an atm  :dunno:
There ya go thinking logically again...   :yesnod:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
Remembered another one over the weekend-

I dislike how people do not respond to door knocks of a single occupancy public restroom. It is common courtesy to knock on a door before entering. It has been this way since at least two millennia as even the Bible describes Jesus knocking and waiting for a response. Specifically addressing this to public restrooms, I _always_ knock before attempting to open the door, even sometimes misjudging a multiple occupancy restroom for a single occupancy room.

Yet almost always people do not respond. In my experience I'd say less than 5% actually say anything. So what I do is I first knock, then I pause and listen carefully, then I proceed to open the door. If I discover the door locked, then I will knock again but louder to ensure it is heard, and pause. Still no sound, so I will proceed to jam and shake and otherwise attempt to open the door as if the door knob is defective. Clearly, otherwise why would it be locked? At this point I am tempted to report the restroom as vacant yet locked. But I wait, and wait, and wait, and eventually I hear the toilet flush and (hopefully) the sink and towel dispenser, and then finally out will come a guy who almost always is a complete jerk and doesn't even hold the door open for me.

What ever happened to this custom? How is it that people don't understand what it means to be out in PUBLIC?? I've told this story before and have come across those who can only drop a deuce when it's quiet. So they don't want to be disturbed and therefore don't reply to any disturbances. My rebuttal to this is that if you are so shy that you can only excuse yourself in utter silence, THEN CROSS YOUR LEGS AND PINCH IT UNTIL YOU GET HOME. Come awn man, just give me a grunt or a loud sigh. When did this become asking too much and when did parents stop teaching their offspring proper manners?

I've also had someone tell me they don't want to be rushed. But why this? If someone conducts themselves properly in public and knocks then they are certainly polite enough to wait patiently so it's a comforting win-win situation. CASE CLOSED. In fact the only time one should feel rushed is when someone tries to violently take down the door because they cannot hold their fluids, NOT because someone is so kind as to knock. This argument goes straight out the window. What causes more panic? Someone politely knocking on your door or someone repeatedly kicking and shaking your door?

The reverse to knocking also holds true. When I am using a single occupancy restroom I rarely encounter anyone who knocks on the door first. Of course for the very few who do I immediately respond with "Occupied." But for everyone else who only grabs the handle and tries to brute force their way in.........screw you guys. I don't reply at all until someone knocks or asks "Is anyone in there?" You wanna be jerks out in public then how about a taste of your own medicine?

:rant:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Oct 26, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Well now it's beginning to make sense..... why so many homeless hobos just do their business on the street, in a doorway, behind buildings or in the bushes.

Way too many bathroom etiquette rules!   :disturbed:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Oct 26, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »
Homeless hobos?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
Homeless hobos?
Trying to use the kindest possible term... 

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Oct 27, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
Trying to use the kindest possible term...

I know you're a kind hearted guy...just, how many hobos do you know that are among the landed gentry?  :moon:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
Homeless hobos?

Don't you mean domicile challenged?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:56:57 PM »
Don't you mean domicile challenged?

It's kind of like saying "the jobless unemployed"... :wave:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 09, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
Hobos used to travel around looking for farm work. Presumably with their hoe, the tool I mean.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 09, 2015, 08:25:57 PM »
Hobos used to travel around looking for farm work.
Or to see the world, part of it anyway.  I'm retired and my Grandpa passed away in his nineties, about 27 years ago. So you know it was a very long time ago that he was a young feller. Back then, he wanted to be a hobo, ride the rails and see the country. He never did, but he did the next best thing -- got a railroad job and got to see part of the country legally. He always did have itchy feet and loved to travel. And there were perks -- working for the railroad meant free travel for his family.

catpirate911

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 09, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »
Hay I got accused of being homeless and was atacked by the manager at my storage place today, talk about rude lol drunk employees are too nervous to think correctly🙈🙉🙊

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Nov 15, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Unintended consequences can either grind your gears or provide great entertainment.  An excellent and recent even was Thursday Night Football starting their Color Rush games with teams wearing green and red.

:smack:

I didn't watch much of the game and I am not color blind, but it's clear that the NFL didn't think that one all the way through...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
In the first place...there has to be some serious turtle heading for me to use a public hopper.

Secondly, if I am engaged in dropping one through the hoop, in the privacy of my own home but especially in a public crappery, I will not be engaging anyone one in idle conversation. If the door is locked...go the hell away. If I am in a public pooper...it is an emergency, leave me the hell alone.  :greengrin:

Remembered another one over the weekend-

I dislike how people do not respond to door knocks of a single occupancy public restroom. It is common courtesy to knock on a door before entering. It has been this way since at least two millennia as even the Bible describes Jesus knocking and waiting for a response. Specifically addressing this to public restrooms, I _always_ knock before attempting to open the door, even sometimes misjudging a multiple occupancy restroom for a single occupancy room.

Yet almost always people do not respond. In my experience I'd say less than 5% actually say anything. So what I do is I first knock, then I pause and listen carefully, then I proceed to open the door. If I discover the door locked, then I will knock again but louder to ensure it is heard, and pause. Still no sound, so I will proceed to jam and shake and otherwise attempt to open the door as if the door knob is defective. Clearly, otherwise why would it be locked? At this point I am tempted to report the restroom as vacant yet locked. But I wait, and wait, and wait, and eventually I hear the toilet flush and (hopefully) the sink and towel dispenser, and then finally out will come a guy who almost always is a complete jerk and doesn't even hold the door open for me.

What ever happened to this custom? How is it that people don't understand what it means to be out in PUBLIC?? I've told this story before and have come across those who can only drop a deuce when it's quiet. So they don't want to be disturbed and therefore don't reply to any disturbances. My rebuttal to this is that if you are so shy that you can only excuse yourself in utter silence, THEN CROSS YOUR LEGS AND PINCH IT UNTIL YOU GET HOME. Come awn man, just give me a grunt or a loud sigh. When did this become asking too much and when did parents stop teaching their offspring proper manners?

I've also had someone tell me they don't want to be rushed. But why this? If someone conducts themselves properly in public and knocks then they are certainly polite enough to wait patiently so it's a comforting win-win situation. CASE CLOSED. In fact the only time one should feel rushed is when someone tries to violently take down the door because they cannot hold their fluids, NOT because someone is so kind as to knock. This argument goes straight out the window. What causes more panic? Someone politely knocking on your door or someone repeatedly kicking and shaking your door?

The reverse to knocking also holds true. When I am using a single occupancy restroom I rarely encounter anyone who knocks on the door first. Of course for the very few who do I immediately respond with "Occupied." But for everyone else who only grabs the handle and tries to brute force their way in.........screw you guys. I don't reply at all until someone knocks or asks "Is anyone in there?" You wanna be jerks out in public then how about a taste of your own medicine?

:rant:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 426
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »
I usually at least cough.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
IQ tests. Here's why I don't put too much stock in them.

A loooooong time ago I was a kid in grade school. Our class was given an IQ test. One question consisted of illustrations of a couple different cuts of meat, and a salmon steak, and a plate of liver. Which of the four didn't fit in with the other three?

I figured the first three were the meat, or the muscle itself, of an animal. Liver was guts, not muscle, so in my mind, liver was the odd man out.

Not so. I was told the fish was cold-blooded so that made it the correct answer. Incidentally, to this day I believe I was right.

I was told the right answer was determined by asking a large group of people the same question. Whatever the majority says is accepted as correct. One flaw in such logic is that historically, it was not all that long ago the majority of people believed the Earth is flat. Of course, they were told that by the smartest, most highly educated folks around at the time. Pfffffttt

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #58 on: Nov 21, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
You were correct........

What if it was a shark liver?

People with higher IQ will generally know things the majority of people don't have a clue about, so the majority opinion isn't necessarily valid.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #59 on: Nov 21, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
There's also another way that matches your muscle vs guts.....

edible vs inedible.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15