Author Topic: mufflers?  (Read 6855 times)

Benny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: mufflers?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:53:19 PM »
I am running a Raptor Turbo muffler on my DD right now. I cut the stock exhaust at the old muffler and welded on the new 2 1/4" muffler. Sounds great. Kinda gets to your head on longer trips though. I still need to run a tail pipe. Baxters has them in stock.

This same muffler sounded great with a complete exhaust system (minus cat) on my other toyota. not annoying at all.

I am also not a fan of Flowmaster. Yes, they are built well (welded) but they dont sound so great on toyotas.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 29, 2005, 06:00:18 PM »
You fellas know if it's street legal to just have a turndown after your muffler.  It would probably be around the middle of the bed.  I thought if the exhaust exits behind the cab it was legal, but does anyone know for sure?  Also, what, in your opinion, is the best size for exhaust tubing?  2", 2 1/4", or 2 1/2"?  The stock stuff is like only  1 1/2" or so, so just about anything would be an improvement i guess.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Benny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2005, 05:58:38 PM »
2 1/4 is about the limit for a 22R(E).

I have 3" on my 22RTE   :thumbs:

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2005, 01:42:59 PM »
I figured 2 1/4 would be about right.  Anyone know about the turndowns?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 31, 2005, 01:47:36 PM »
:dunno: mine is turned down, I've never had any problems because of it.  There are some smog places that will be a PITA about smogging your truck cause they dont want to crawl under there, but i dont think it is illegal.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
I see bigger container trucks like that all the time, like U-Haul trucks, but I guess maybe they have different rules and such.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:58:03 PM »
I'm not sure if it is outlet location, or outlet height that matters.  I have had both of my rigs with turndowns with no problems.  It's a bit louder when turned out under the bed, and you have to be careful as to where the tip is pointed, to keep it away from park brake cable sheathing, breather hoses and the like.

As for mufflers, I just put a 2 1/4" turbe muffler from summit on my 2wd, ($14.95 + tax) and changed the tailpipe for more length than before.  Had a supertrapp with 11 discs before.  Now it is quieter, and has better torque in the bottom end than before.  When I ordered the muffler I also got some mandrel U bends.  Then just hacked it together.  Even a crappy job looks primo when you use mandrels.  Heheh.

Bigbadtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Got Mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2005, 08:28:54 PM »
do you think if i get this setup it will be really loud. no cat 2 1/4 pipe to dynomax super turbo muffler and 2 1/4 tail out stock local. would 2 1/4 exhaust make it louder than 2in?
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2005, 08:59:37 PM by Bigbadtoy »
i love playin in the mud

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:07:04 AM »
do you think if i get this setup it will be really loud. no cat 2 1/4 pipe to dynomax super turbo muffler and 2 1/4 tail out stock local. would 2 1/4 exhaust make it louder than 2in?

In general larger diameter pipe causes more vibration, maybe it also translates into noise as well.  The vibration issue is why Borla builds smaller diameter pipe that a lot of other manufactures and tries to get maximum flow in other ways.  On an old truck I'm not sure how much it would matter.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #39 on: Apr 01, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
Think about it all math like...the larger diameter pipe is going to result in a longer wavelength natural frequency, thus giving the exhaust a deeper tone, but note that that natural frequency is going to be created right in the 2500 RPM range.  This of course means that larger pipe is going to = more highway cruising drone at a lower frequency.  I had 3 inch pipes on a dual 40 series turned down under the cab on my 4cyl Tacoma...it just gave me headaches and made me dizzy on long rides.    :shocking:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2005, 03:07:43 PM »
Think about it all math like...the larger diameter pipe is going to result in a longer wavelength natural frequency, thus giving the exhaust a deeper tone, but note that that natural frequency is going to be created right in the 2500 RPM range.  This of course means that larger pipe is going to = more highway cruising drone at a lower frequency.  I had 3 inch pipes on a dual 40 series turned down under the cab on my 4cyl Tacoma...it just gave me headaches and made me dizzy on long rides.    :shocking:

I am not disagreeing with you, but please explain your "math" a bit more.  Are you saying that larger pipes result in a longer wavelength that create natural, or resonant, frequencies at a lower (cruising) or higher rpm?  I would suspect that having a 40 series Flowmaster was a significant part of the noise.  Flowmasters are designed more to create a particular sound than to muffle the engine noise.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Bigbadtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Got Mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:07:35 PM »
anyone running a glasspack with no cat? i have one on right now but my cat is still there but hollowed out. let me know how it sounds
i love playin in the mud

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #42 on: Apr 01, 2005, 09:13:03 PM »
I am not disagreeing with you, but please explain your "math" a bit more.  Are you saying that larger pipes result in a longer wavelength that create natural, or resonant, frequencies at a lower (cruising) or higher rpm?  I would suspect that having a 40 series Flowmaster was a significant part of the noise.  Flowmasters are designed more to create a particular sound than to muffle the engine noise.

I was just waxing philisophically about air flow through a tube, regardless of the style of muffler, or lack there-of...It is llike a pipe organ, larger diameter tubes will resonate at a lower natural frequency than skinny tubes.  I.e. a 40 series with a 3 inch diameter pipe after it will sound a few Hz lower (or deeper) than same muffler with 2.25 inch diameter pipe after it.

I suppose if you were mental and really cared that much, you could select your favorite tone muffler and use pipe length and diameter to tune the octave range to just where you liked it.  Just one more way you can look at our beautiful toyotas as a work of art (or in this case music).   :yesnod:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0