Author Topic: Roundeyes not making 7" headlights  (Read 2978 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Roundeyes not making 7" headlights
« on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »
Been watching their site for a while trying to buy these, finally called today and they're discontinued and have no intention of making them again.  Bummer.

I'd like to run Cibie but do not want to spend the money - about $90 each.  I see KC got in the game but don't  know anything about them.  I've read a lot of good reviews on the Hella E code, not to be mistaken with the US version of the vision plus, and found a source for them cheap. 

Anybody have good luck with any other h4 lights?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Roundeyes not making 7" headlights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »
Nate, I have been looking around for headlights lately.  And the first place I went to was Roundeyes, but nothing.   I went thru 3 sets of H6054's in the last month.  Wagner, Sylvania, and house brand.  Most you would plug in, and nothing, or only high or low beam out of the box.  And most of the manufacture dates are at least 5 years old.  Been looking into new Hella lenses and H4 or 9003/5 bulb style.  But I would have to upgrade the wiring.  I know Marlin has their lenses, but I have issues with the lexan/polycarbonate lenses hazing up.  I want glass lenses.  The wife's van has those damn plastic lenses, and I'm tired of polishing them and clear coating them.  Only to have to replace them later, and then the reflective surface inside fades or peals off. 

The issue is there is a metric ton of Chinese import lenses, and they are all going HID, Projection, LED, and H4, 9003/5/7 bulb styles.  And they are flooding the market with CRAP, and all the good places can't compete with with that. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
cheesemaker, marlins vision x lights are listed as glass lense/aluminium housing. Is that wrong are they not actually glass? Im interested in a headlight upgrade as well, but Im going to look into the condition of my harness first.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:05:49 PM »
This looks like a great deal on Cibies on Amazon.com. They call them foglamps, probably for legal reasons, but they are 7" H4 headlamps. Currently $42.06 each + $6.26 each for Hella 60/55W bulbs, and free shipping. I've never seen them cheaper. And yes, they have glass lenses. They look a bit yellow in the pic, but reviews say they are clear. Just a poor pic I guess.
http://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q#productDetails

Edit: Cheesie, you should be able to run 60/55W bulbs without upgrading the wiring -- though upgrading with relays is always a good idea. Overwattage bulbs aren't really a good idea for use on public roads anyway, IMO.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2015, 10:19:46 PM by Stocker »
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
Take a look at Daniel Stern lighting.

He knows his stuff.

He's the resident lighting (and a slant 6) guru on slantsix.org

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
cheesemaker, marlins vision x lights are listed as glass lense/aluminium housing. Is that wrong are they not actually glass? Im interested in a headlight upgrade as well, but Im going to look into the condition of my harness first.

I must have missed that.  :headscratch:  I thought somebody on here, got a set, and said that they ended up being polycarbonate/lexan.  Mike is gonna kick my ass for miss reading that.   :moon:   Maybe when I am down there in July, I will look at them.  :D

Stocker, I'm not wanting to go to the really low/high beam wattage lights, but Hella has some 55/100w off-road h4 lights.  I rarely run high beam, but when coming off the hills at night, I really want to light up, without adding extra lights.  The more lights, the more I would have to upgrade my Alt, and wiring for the charging system.  I'm thinking of adding a second alt, like Glen did, and run a wire for the exciter.  Just for a backup.  Cause my front output is leaking oil, and over time the alt gets gunked up.  And the alt quits putting out.  And I have to have it ran thru a parts washer to clean it up.

Been thinking about making some wiring harnesses lately.   ;)
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
Use relays to brighten lights.

Also the use of higher performing bulbs.

From site I mentioned above:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

See   About +30 & +50 Bulbs:   about half way down

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
Ended up ordering Hella E-codes, and I already have some osram bulbs, though I may pony up for some yellow piaa bulbs if I can find a good deal.

I was going to post something about nobody mentioning hellas until I did some research and found these to be way different than the hellas the majority of places sell.  These are german made and way better supposedly, so we'll see what they're like with the good bulbs, updated wiring and relays.

Pretty nice when you gut a houseboat and remove all the good condition marine grade wiring loom front to back and are allowed to keep it  :wink2:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:48:24 PM »
Haven't had a chance to put em in yet, but I did finally get my headlights, and I happened to dig up my good bulbs, too.  I totally forgot I picked up some sylvania silverstars for $5 each on closeout at OSH last year.

Planning to install these and aim them, get some pics, then upgrade the wiring/relays and see if there's a noticable difference.  No sense in spending a ton of money on high end bulbs if I get good enough light from these!
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »
If you install relays, check voltage before & after (see emsvitil's first link above). Pics can be misleading but increase in voltage = increase in lumens.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:24:44 PM »
there are tons of options available..... the 7" round light, is the same size the jeep cjs and tjs use
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
There may be tons of options, but that doesn't mean there are tons of good options.  You can find 30 different spark plugs for your engine, but there may only be 2 or 3 you would use.
RIP KYOTA