Author Topic: 2.4 turbo diesel injector pump from late 80s early 90s on to 2L + turbo?  (Read 2193 times)

turbo this..

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
right so ive been offered a good 2.4 turbo diesel injector pump from late 80s early 90s engine

my question is i have a 2L 2.4 diesel and maby i want to turbo it a little well just give it a bit of a kick to get moveing really petrol turbo conversions are nothing new to me diesel is a hole new thing never turbo ed a diesel
anyways point is ive got no clue what parts fit what engines so would a 2.4 turbo diesel injector pump 80s-90s fit my old 2L ? and what sort of boost did the 2.4 turbo diesel injector pump run with?
diesels love boost dont they? i mean a diesel only put fuel in when it wants the thing to fire (explode in the case of diesel) where petrols have the fuel in as its being compressed so if theres to much heat made it will pre det where a diesel only has air air by itsselt whont det no matter how hot it gets right? so there for you can jam a lot more in then let the pump put the fuel in when its the right time to fire the cylender off and make power

err how that explains my understanding be it right or wrong?

anyways friend had an 83 diesel and it was a guiltless peace of on the road i dont want that so turbo conversion me thinks err maby?

are ther any numbers i should look for on a "turbo" pump that will go onto the 2L engine?

manifolds are no prob nether is flowing the head to get the cfm moveing and efficiency up

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I don't what factory boost is for a 2L-t is, but my 1KZ-te is 7psi from the factory.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

cavey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 496
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
depends what sort of pump do you have one offa 2LT or a 2LT-E  the 2nd one has a large electrical plug on the top of the distributive head ( the steel block on the end of the pump that the injector pipes screw to )  and these pumps have some sort of computer controlling pump timing  which you will need also , the first type you can  bolt on and line up the matchmarks  and the thing will run  bu to set the timing more accurately but you need a special tool factory psi is 7  but you can run up to 10 by shimming the wastegate actuator  any more than 10 and you overload the seals in the compressor housing and then the turbo starts running on the engine oil   which then costs you a turbo rebuild
 you should also run a exhaust temp gauge fitted pre turbo  if you use a std manifold the flange on the number 4 cylinder leg for EGR is a convenient place  and dont exceed 600 degrees Celsius  ever  or you will melt pistons that is working the engine hard ie   up a long steep hill in 3rd or 4th fully laden towing a loaded trailer  you can adjust the amount of fuel going into the engine by the fuel screw on the pump or on the boost compensator which will change the amount of fuel the engine gets under boost   
 to Helipilot77 i am surprised that your 1KZT-E only runs 7PSI , my runs 10 PSI standard and on a 1KZ-TE  you can run up to 14PSI  which then the computer goes into limp mode from overboost     
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2014, 03:08:33 AM by cavey »
own a 1989  LN106r diesel with a 1KZ-T 3 litre turbo diesel  bolted to a imported R151F gearbox with snorkel Rancho springs & shocks & Detroit lockers F & R & 11x 32  cooper sst ultimate dual transfer cases 130 litre fuel tank   full floating disc brake rear end