Author Topic: Failure: MC built 3rd w/ ARB  (Read 3607 times)

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Failure: MC built 3rd w/ ARB
« on: Sep 11, 2014, 04:24:42 AM »
Big Mike,
Have you had a chance to look into or gather info on the failure of my MC built 8.4 3rd  w/ ARB?  Many months have passed and I still have not received a call or answers to my e-mails.

Thanks Big Mike.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Failure: MC built 3rd w/ ARB
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
So.... What exactly "failed?"
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2014, 04:25:12 AM »
^^... This is not meant to bash MC but a story of what lead to this AND, you asked.

Several months after installing the 5.29 ARB 3rd, I began hearing a slight screeching noise, similar to a fan belt.  After short distances and all being warmed up, it went away.  Sometimes it would not make any noise.  Of course, I began looking under the hood.  After reading about the belt adjustment bearings, I thought they may be the problem.  After changing both of them, the noise was intermittent but still there. 

Jump ahead about a year after the install, I was finally able to get in a wheelin' trip with my buddies.  We parked at the Banner Grade store, East of Julian, CA, and waited for everyone to arrive.  Once all were there, headed across the street through a gate.  We aired down and all with ARB lockers, engaged and proceeded but mine had a hard time doing so.  After a few minutes, it locked so we went on our way.  If I recall, that was my only trip using the locker.

Several months later, I got the itch and began gathering parts to make my Pre-runner a 4x4... A340F, Inchworm Lefty and so on.  Bought the trans, dropped it off to be rebuilt & installed in my truck while I headed to Vegas for the SEMA convention, hoping that my truck would be done when I returned.

While at SEMA, I get a call from the trans shop telling me the rear end is locked up, they can't spin the tires.  I allow them to get into the 3rd to see what's up.  Several hours later, they tell me the 3rd is wasted.  Every bearing and shim were mulched, the R&P were an awesome looking blue color from the intense heat.  The pinion crush sleeve was the original OEM piece.  The R&P were to be Yukon but are not, not sure what brand they are.  I have all of the parts they removed.  Bottom line is the 3rd was improperly set up to begin with.

I was at the Yukon booth looking at there products when I received the call. I see Brook, tell him the story and he killed me when he made some calls and had a new R&P with a re-build kit sent to the trans shop, free of charge.  I swear I did not see that coming.

Without getting into further detail, that's it.

I need to actually speak to someone.

Later.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2014, 12:28:45 PM by Ritchie »
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
The rear end was locked up before or after you dropped it off at trans shop? Seems like you would have noticed that  :dunno:   

Anyway good luck.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
It could have seized after settling..

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
low on oil?

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »
Oil level was good, no leaks.  After 1k miles, I changed on the oil and did that twice and each time, the oil was clean.  As for seeing this coming, no sir.  I do have a 2.7 motor and with the auto trans, it's no race truck but, my fuel mileage was dropping ever so slightly as time went on.

The previous MC built ARB 3rd w/ 4.88's was awesome.  Worked great and never had a problem.  I went to 5.29's after upsizing my tires to 285-75-16's.  Since I do not have access to a lift, I never would have thought to put the truck on one to see if the rear wheels spin freely.

I am not bitter, just need to speak with someone @ MC.

Thanks for the replies.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
The rear end was locked up before or after you dropped it off at trans shop? Seems like you would have noticed that  :dunno:   

Anyway good luck.

It wasn't locked up when I dropped it off, I know that 'cause I drove it to the shop.  It is a DD that my wife takes to work everyday.

I gotta tell ya' though, the old ring gear got really, really hot.  It is the most awesome blue to look at for an auto part that is supposed to be black.

How's the turbo coming along?

Later.

mannysouza

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
FYI a fan belt tensioner will screech with out moving forward. You should have pulled the 3rd immediately.  IMO, this is on you.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:13:20 AM »
FYI a fan belt tensioner will screech with out moving forward. You should have pulled the 3rd immediately.  IMO, this is on you.

The noise only happened under load, similar to turning on your AC, if you have it... that type of high pitched screech.  I guess I should ask, what's on me?

mannysouza

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:57:39 AM »
IMO, the differential should be on your dime. If marlin fixes it they would deserve a platinum award for going way above and beyond.

Facts;

1.You have had the differential for more than a year.

2. You installed the diff then started to hear a strange squealing noise.

3. You then drove the truck till the noise wasn't noticeable anymore.

If you ever open a business,  please let me know. If you think that this should be warranted a year after the fact and the nature of wheeling is hard on parts. Plus since you did the install and the gear set was blue (excessive heat!). I would be happy to buy anything from you.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
IMO, the differential should be on your dime. If marlin fixes it they would deserve a platinum award for going way above and beyond.

Facts;

1.You have had the differential for more than a year.

2. You installed the diff then started to hear a strange squealing noise.

3. You then drove the truck till the noise wasn't noticeable anymore.

If you ever open a business,  please let me know. If you think that this should be warranted a year after the fact and the nature of wheeling is hard on parts. Plus since you did the install and the gear set was blue (excessive heat!). I would be happy to buy anything from you.

Hmmm, thanks for the reply.  You obviously did not read/ understand the scenario in it's entirety. 
Perhaps you should re-read the post.

Later.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
Ritchie, best bet is to call the shop.  I know it can be a pain the ass to get thru sometimes, but this is your best option. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2014, 07:28:59 AM »
Man, I call so often that I have the white lettering wiped off of my office phone buttons. 
I understand they are busy, heck, when you have the best stuff on the planet made for Toyotas, you will be.

I can only call during my work hours which sucks. I will admit that being on hold for too long... I have to hang up and take care of business.

I posted only to get Big Mike's attention as he typically answers/ replies to posts.

I will keep trying.

Thanks for the reply... nice build by the way.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »
I understand your frustration.  Yeah, its crazy there sometimes.  I've talked to Mike and Dave about this very concern.  And their phones will ring off the hook one minute, and nothing for the next 30 minutes.  Its crazy. 

As for my build, thanks.  But I feel that body is gonna rust out, before I get a SAS on it.  I hate living on the coast, because everything rusts out.  But I'm slowly collecting parts. 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
Man that's a tough one. In all my years of building diffs and just working on them the only time I have seen colors like what your talking of is when the oil was low or had no oil. If it was improperly set up and is used as a DD then it would have failed alot sooner than the time frame your talking of. If it was the front and wasn't full time 4wd then maybe incorrect set up.....that's a tough one man. And for future reference when you think you have a belt noise take them off and start it to eliminate any accessory driven noises that will lead to a misdiagnosis. Good luck man.  :beerchug:
90'4runner......lots of goodies.