Author Topic: Couple questions, oil pump, pulsation damper  (Read 1460 times)

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Couple questions, oil pump, pulsation damper
« on: Sep 06, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »
  My 84 pickup has been sitting in the garage for several months for various reasons. I finally got it back to where I could fire it up last night, since it had been sitting so long I thought it might be a good idea to pull the coil wire and get some oil flowing with just the starter. After doing this there was a strong gas odor, I looked around and saw a small amount a fuel dripping down from the pulsation damper on the fuel rail. I wiped it off, hooked the coil up and the truck fired right up, I was really surprised how good it ran after sitting for so long. I don't see it leaking while running but after I shut it off it leaks. Anyway I never noticed fuel leaking there before it sat. I don't know if its because I have a later model upper intake/throttle body but it looks like it would be difficult to remove and replace the damper. Anyone have any tips or tricks to dealing with this?

When I parked the truck it had a leaky radiator, other than that no other coolant leaks. I replaced the radiator and after starting it for the first time in months I idled it for a few minutes, shut it down, looked underneath and saw a small amount of coolant running down the oil pump  :sad2:. No leaks from the radiator hoses and I didn't spill any while filling it. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from but it was a pretty small amount,
I thought maybe the water pump gasket. I started it up again this morning, let it idle for 15+ min. and now no coolant leak  :conf:. Whats up with that?

While looking and waiting for that coolant leak I noticed that my oil pump housing has a very very slight oil leak, bottom, center where it meets the timing cover. Ive read about the 1 upper bolt needing sealant to avoid an oil leak but what would cause the 2 bottom bolts to be slightly wet with oil? Kinda looks like they are seeping from between the bolt/washer and housing. The amount of oil is so small that I doubt it would ever accumulate enough to drip.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Couple questions, oil pump, pulsation damper
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
I grabbed a pulsation damper at the junk yard and installed it with new copper gaskets last night. I ran the fuel pump to get pressure in the system and check for leaks, no leaks. Is the fuel pressure soposed to remain the same indefinitely or is some drop normal? The reason I ask is because last night when I pressurized the system the screw in the center of the damper popped up like its suposed to but this morning when I looked it was back in.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
It should maintain pressure for a period of time. But it should loose it over night. If it leaks again get a hose and banjo from an 89 or up 22re gets ride of it the pulse fitting.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2014, 03:46:54 PM by zippo »
If you see it, its for sale.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
It should maintain pressure for a period of time. But it should loose it over night. If it leaks again get a hose and banjo from an 89 or up 22re gets ride of it the pulse fitting.

Thanks. I read about deleting damper, I was wondering if anyone who has put lots of miles and years on that setup has found any known side effects from doing that.

Tonight's project is replacing the distributor shaft o ring. Should be pretty straight forward. I'm thinking wrapping the drive gear with electrical tape might get the o ring past without tearing it up.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
The 2 lower bolts on the oil pump housing are seeping oil, I know they are outside of the o ring, if the o ring was bad I would expect to see oil coming from between the housing and timing cover not just the bolts. Where would these 2 bolts be picking up oil from?