Author Topic: A couple questions?  (Read 1683 times)

zookiemike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I bet that jeep thing burns!
    • View Profile
A couple questions?
« on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
Well ive become kind of conserned  about my trans lately. It whine's pretty bad in first through trird. Now i was (fanagleing) with the starter a few days ago and noticed gear oil by the bell housing. Now it looked to be coming from the inside the housing like a counter bearing or main trans input? I have a w55 in her and i'd like to no how bad is it too change out the trans input seal and bearing?

#2 The starting this thing is in a horible spot. it's the gear reduction type and i'd like to no if there is a trick to getting to it?

Btw My truck is 94 2wd with a 5spd (of course) and a 22re. I said i was going to post pics awhile back and i still will.
I love toyota

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »
no real tricks to getting to it, however removing hte tire and allowing the suspension to droop will probably help.... as far as the input seal o nthe tranny, its not bad, but you need to pull the tranny to change it, if it is leaking, it probably destroyed your clutch also
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

zookiemike [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:12:33 PM »
I didn't kill the clutch yet. But you can get too the starter through the wheel well?
I love toyota

DESERTCOX

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 88
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:36:35 AM »
HEY i JUST SWAPED OUT MY TRANS THIS WEEKEND  89 4x4  22re 5spd
the starter isn't too terribly bad  there is an access plate in the wheel well that will help too
forget about getting to it from the ground   you can get to the top bolt with about a 18in wobble extension or universal  over the oil filter,  the bottom boltyou can see through the wheel well
If you think that is fun try changing the fuel filter  it's above the starter and below the intake manifold
are you sure it's trans fluid or is it engine oil

zookiemike [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:40:09 AM »
It's gear oil. My tranny is whineing pretty bad to, so that was my conclusion. Thanks about the starter tip. After i bruised my arms up and layed in the snow i was hoping this wasn't the best toyota chould come up with :hammerhead: .
I love toyota