Author Topic: 3vz to 3rz couple of questions  (Read 5589 times)

SnailPowered3RZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
3vz to 3rz couple of questions
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
Currently have a 1986 SAS'd standard cab Toyota Pickup powered by a turbo-ed 3RZ on 10 psi. Things it has:
-HP elocker in the front
-Elocker in the rear
- 2.28x4.7 dual cases
- 3rz with turbo
- 2 inches of lift
- 37x12.5 wranglers
- missing something Im sure of it

So finally onto my question, I found a cheap 1988 extended cab Toyota pickup that I want to swap everything on my truck over to because I'm tall and don't fit so well in my standard cab anymore. Problem is its a 3.slow. I know that I have to move the motor mounts that's not big deal. My question is the wiring any different for the dash harness then when I did it for the conversion for the 22r to 3rz?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 3vz to 3rz couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »
The last 3vz to 22re swap I did I just plugged the 3vz dash harness into the 22re ecm. All gauges and dash functions worked. Had to adjust tach though.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »
Awesome thanks for the info, I was hoping the dash harness was the same. I don't see why it wouldn't be. What did you do for the tach I had to run a 10ohm resister for the 3rz anyways.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »
The v6 gauge cluster should have an adjustment screw behind the tach. What year 3rz are you running? I know my 83 cluster and a 2nd gen are different but my tach is reading properly with no resistor as mine is a 96 engine with a distributor.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:50:43 AM »
I'm currently running a 2000 3rz, so twin coils I needed the 10 ohm resister to make the tach work for the 4 cylinder gauge. With the balance shaft removed.

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
I'm glad I found a 2tr bellhousing for cheap at a local yard, its going to have a sweet tranny behind it when im done hopefully.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
R151f?
06 tacoma street truck

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
No lol. I wish I had money for that. Its just gonna be a one fiddy f

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
So the 5vz is a bolt in swap for the 3vz. Then just buy a harness. Done!
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2017, 10:12:35 AM by zippo »
If you see it, its for sale.

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »
So the 5vz is a bolt in swap for the 5vz. Then just buy a harness. Done!

no the truck is currently a 3vz and I want to swap over everything from my 3rz pickup because its an extended cab

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm in the middle of this right now (3VZ to 3RZ)...  So far this is what I have learned, that I didn't find much info on.

-The 2TR bell does work with a 3VZ version of the R150... not the 5VZ R150.  However it pushes the sifters back ~3" (put my dual case shifters in my center counsel...), and you don't really get full engagment of the input in the pilot bearing. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101408.0 <- that's my fix for it.

- Sock fuel lines from the 3VZ are on the wrong frame rail, and the tank is on the wrong side of the truck... You can run a big hose across the fire wall, but the factory lines are really close to the 3RZ down pipe... to close for me.  Most people move them, but I had a hard time figuring out where they moved them too.  I spent a crazy amount of time bending and routing and re-routing lines until I was happy.

-Computer mounting, again not much info out there.  I was able to mount the 3RZ computer in the factory 3VZ location, but upside down.  I sill need to figure out how to keep crap from falling into the connectors.  I was also able to remove the firewall grommet from my 3VZ harness and get it on the 3RZ harness... liberal amounts of WD-40 were needed, but it stretched over the connectors and went in the factory engine harness hole.

- The wiring from year to year seems to be quite different, make sure you have the correct info for your build.  I highly suggest getting the factory wiring book for both trucks, I think I paid $20ea and it has been money well spent.  With the books the wiring is very straight forward.

I originally went into this because my 3VZ had a bad head gasket and I wanted more space in the engine compartment (which is important for turbos...).  Remember you can save A LOT of time by going with a 5VZ...

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:20:17 AM »
I'm in the middle of this right now (3VZ to 3RZ)...  So far this is what I have learned, that I didn't find much info on.

-The 2TR bell does work with a 3VZ version of the R150... not the 5VZ R150.  However it pushes the sifters back ~3" (put my dual case shifters in my center counsel...), and you don't really get full engagment of the input in the pilot bearing. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101408.0 <- that's my fix for it.

- Sock fuel lines from the 3VZ are on the wrong frame rail, and the tank is on the wrong side of the truck... You can run a big hose across the fire wall, but the factory lines are really close to the 3RZ down pipe... to close for me.  Most people move them, but I had a hard time figuring out where they moved them too.  I spent a crazy amount of time bending and routing and re-routing lines until I was happy.

-Computer mounting, again not much info out there.  I was able to mount the 3RZ computer in the factory 3VZ location, but upside down.  I sill need to figure out how to keep crap from falling into the connectors.  I was also able to remove the firewall grommet from my 3VZ harness and get it on the 3RZ harness... liberal amounts of WD-40 were needed, but it stretched over the connectors and went in the factory engine harness hole.

- The wiring from year to year seems to be quite different, make sure you have the correct info for your build.  I highly suggest getting the factory wiring book for both trucks, I think I paid $20ea and it has been money well spent.  With the books the wiring is very straight forward.

I originally went into this because my 3VZ had a bad head gasket and I wanted more space in the engine compartment (which is important for turbos...).  Remember you can save A LOT of time by going with a 5VZ...

PZ

I have a 2TR bellhousing and I want to use an R150 for my turbo 3rz, so the only thing you did was get the 14mm pilot bearing?

Fuel lines aren't a problem as I am running a 25 gallon fuel cell.

The 5vz would be easier but I am literally swapping my completed 1986 standard cab pickup with the turboed 3rz over to a 3vz extended cab lol.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
Yes, I used the 14mm bearing, and I think it will be fine.  I miss understood, I thought you were tearing apart a standard cab taco, it should be pretty straight forwared if you have done it in an older truck.

I don't think the tach will be as easy as plug and play, but like I said it seems there is quite a bit of variation between the different years, at least as far as wiring goes.

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
Move the computer up behind the glove box, gets it out of harms way and there is plenty of wiring!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:16:47 AM »
Might be a silly question. Have you considered just doing the cab swap?
06 tacoma street truck

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:42:04 AM »
Yes, I used the 14mm bearing, and I think it will be fine.  I miss understood, I thought you were tearing apart a standard cab taco, it should be pretty straight forwared if you have done it in an older truck.

I don't think the tach will be as easy as plug and play, but like I said it seems there is quite a bit of variation between the different years, at least as far as wiring goes.

PZ

I was mainly worried about the dash harness off the 3vz-fe extended cab truck. I did the swap in my single cab that was originally a 22r

For the tach I just had to do the 10 ohm resister in the cluster

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:42:50 AM »

PZ

thanks for the info on the 14 mm pilot bearing though!

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »
Move the computer up behind the glove box, gets it out of harms way and there is plenty of wiring!!

I like that spot! Didn't even think of that spot when I originally did mine

SnailPowered3RZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:49:26 AM »
Might be a silly question. Have you considered just doing the cab swap?

Yes this has been a great debate of mine. Currently I have an all pro offroad flat bed welded on which I'm afraid would look like :pokinit: if I had to cut and re-weld to compensate for the 10 inches the extended cab is going to add. Then I would most likely have to shorten up the bed so it doesn't have a bubba gump lip. I would rather start fresh and completely strip the extended cab and take my time and fix things I did 10 years ago when I was young and dumb. Actually just picked up the extended cab.