Author Topic: how to permanently repair a punctured tire?  (Read 3829 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
how to permanently repair a punctured tire?
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
Anyone work at a tire shop? What do the pro's use to permanently repair a punctured tire, and where do I get it? I've got a nasty chunked up old TSL with 80% tread and what appears to be a nail hole. The tire shops wont touch it. I want to fix it myself.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
Re: how to permanently repair a punctured tire?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
i used a really good tire glue and professional patches from napa to repair a side wall of an old 35" mtr.

had to heat the glue up a bit but it held for a long time and mainly wheeling trips aired down to 8psi.

i asked americas tire one time when i was there if i did it right and they said they normally wouldnt patch a sidewall gash but thats how they do it on the tread of tires when they get a nail or small cut, they use patches or they recommend getting it vulcanized. 
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
inner tube?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »
use glue and a patch from the inside

how old is this tire?

where is the hole? in the tread, on the shoulder or sidewall?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »
inner tube has crossed my mind since these tires have lots of deep cuts. there bias swampers and I know there tuff but not sure when to consider them dangerous.

The tires are old, like 8-10 years. they've  never seen pavement... until now. The hole is in the center tread though one of the chevron luggs. A patch from inside is what I was thinking but I have no experience with such things is there a good brand? I tried to get the guys at schwab to hook me up but they wouldnt have it.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
tires have a shelf life of 10 years max!!!! even then, that is pushing it..... In the interest of safety, just don't use it....

they are the same regular tire patches you get at walmart or any auto parts store.... you just have to have the tire off the rim, and scuff it up really well.... use a die grinder with a scuffing wheel if possible.... it is what the tie shops use.... make sure to get the glue and let it get a little tacky before you put the patch..... when I worked at Americas tire company, then later at wheel works, we used plug patches from the inside
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
You need a bias tire patch and glue.  Because the cords run at different angles versus a radial tire patch.  We used to patch tires that were sketchy back in the day.  But most of them were for farmers. 

This is what you need, besides a grinder to buff the area.
http://www.rematiptop.com/part.php?pid=203&cid=27&sid=11
http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=7

For something this old, I would stictly leave it for off road use only.  And tubes in tires off road, isn't a good mix.  And once you air down the stem will fall into the wheel.  Leaving you in a sticky spot.  Unless you put a small hose clamp around the stem.  This will help.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
Patch plug is the proper way, the plug portion ofthe patch plugs the tire so water and debrit cannot enter between the layers. Like othershave said, tires that old should not be used on the road. Same with patching a sidewall, to get off a trail, or off highway use tire its ok, but unsafe for the road. Tubes should only be used on a tube type tire, if used on a tubless tire it generates a lot of heat. Old farm equipment, or a trail rig it would work fine. Many people have gotten away with doing unsafe things, some have not. Just have to step back and think about if it is worth it? Old tires tend to seperate with little warning, and mostly seem to be cap seperations at highway speed. It is usually very violent and dangerous. I have seen a handfull of cars come in over the years with fenders and DOORS ripped off due to sudden cap seperations. These were just car and pickup tires. On a lifted truck with high flotation tires the risk is even higher. Its better to keep those old ones on the dirt and keep it shiny side up, just my opinion, be safe.
Dave
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for  :shades:. However you all have about scared me outa using these   :down: Tires I cant run on the road are useless  to me and these are all I got for my sami project. I never considered the age to be a danger, the cuts and slices on the other hand...  Maybe I need to rethink the 20+ year old military tires I've had on my scout for the last 7 years as well  :smack: At least both my toyota's have fresh new rubber :driving:

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
I go to TDS in Santa Rosa CA. There is prob one close to you. They have vulcanized my sidewalls with up to 3 in gashes and I still run them at 8 psi.
You'll never take me alive

urbandork

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 143
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
inner tube?

lol good one but as previously stated it can create more heat which can cause issue.