Author Topic: Should I put a 21 spline 4.7 case behind 3.0/manual/2.28 crawl box?  (Read 3097 times)

dustingro

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Member since Aug '12

Crawling with Marlin

Has anybody run 21 spline 4.7 Marlin total spline gears behind a 23 spline crawl box and 3.slo? Is this just asking for trouble?

Just swapped a stock case into my '85 pickup to put my 4.7 case into my '92 runner project. Turns out that what was supposed to be a 23 spline 4.7 case is 21 spline.

4Runner will have 2.28 crawl box and I have a pretty light foot. Just don't want to spring for new 4.7 gears.  Can I even buy a 23 spline input/21 spline output crawl box?
'85 long/flat bed ,225k 22RE, marlin built W56, duals with 2.28/4.7, 35" Toyos

(coming soon) mother in law's 92 runner V6/5spd

dzldust

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jul '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
if you already have all the parts id run it,my last 3.0 did not seem like a torque monster

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
Worse case scenario, you get a 23 spline adapter and a new 23 spline input gear.  You don't need a whole new gear set.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I ran a toyota stock 21 spline in my crawl box for two years before it stripped out on me with mostly street driving. You should be fine if you buy the total spline input. It makes all the difference.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

tyes

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
get the 23x23 becuase in the future you will upgrade or you'll find your self needing 23 spline...
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
As helipilot77 mentioned, stock 21-spline parts have been tried behind a 3.0, but don't count on it to last. As for a 4.70:1 gear set, if it is an Advanced Adapters (discontinued) or Trail-Gear kit, then they will only be a marginal improvement over stock. If it is a Marlin Crawler Total-Spline gear kit, which you have, then it will last a lot longer, however, even still I personally wouldn't put a guarantee on it from eventual failure. We have seen a few 21-spline Total-Spline inputs break, but have only rarely seen our 23-spline "XD" Total-Spline inputs break (I've only seen two myself), and it's likely we've yet to have a 23-spline "Competition" Total-Spline input break, which are stronger than our XD sets.

my last 3.0 did not seem like a torque monster
Keep in mind also that the engine itself is heavier, the radiator is heavier, the flywheel and clutch are heavier, the transmission is heaver, the third members are heavier, the brake system is heavier, the exhaust is heavier, ... etc, so the drivetrain is also under a greater load due to increased mass and inertia from the 6-cylinder platform.

Will a 21-spline Total-Spline input work behind a 3.0? Yes. Will it last? Only time will tell. Would I run this setup? Only if I seriously couldn't afford purchasing a 23-spline coupler and 23-spline input from Marlin Crawler or used somewhere.

If you are a grease monkey who does his own work then this might not apply, but don't exclude the extra costs of doing the 23-spline upgrade sometime later down the road as you'll have to drop both T/case and Crawl Box, tear them both apart to replace coupler & input, and slap it all back in. At least for me I usually forget that it might be my only vehicle or that I can't afford any downtime. :twocents:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

dustingro [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the input. It is a total spline 4.7 21 spline input, so might just give it a shot.

The new 4Runner is a fat b*std compared to the '85 longbed I have had this case in. Good point, BigMike!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the input. It is a total spline 4.7 21 spline input, so might just give it a shot.
:beerchug:

The new 4Runner is a fat b*std compared to the '85 longbed I have had this case in. Good point, BigMike!
It's not just the added bottom end torque but also the extra mass. What you could do is drop your t/case off the back of your Crawl Box and make a judgement call on how both splines (coupler & input) look. If they look pretty good with minimal wear then that could give you more confidence with re-using them. In the end however, I believe that with a 21-spline Total-Spline setup, you'll more likely to snap/shear the input than to strip out the splines in the coupler. Take this with a grain of salt and 1) drive accordingly so that your truck will last for many, many more seasons of fun :camping:, and 2) enjoy what ya got and get out there and :driving:

If you are really worried, just carry an extra stock 21-spline input gear with a used bearing pre-installed. Spray some WD-40 all over it (prevents rust) and store it in a plastic bag next to your spare tire jack. :thumbs:

Regards,
BigMike

dzldust

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
if 21 spline is so sub par,why sell it or even offer it?

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
if 21 spline is so sub par,why sell it or even offer it?

Because all 4 cylinder toyotas are 21 spline. unless its a turbo.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

dzldust

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
thought you could use 23 spline between the cases?

dustingro [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Issue with that is I would have to buy new 23 spline 4.7 gears for the 21 spline 4.7 case i already have.
SO.... v-6 adapter plate, 23 spline input into the crawl box, 21 spline coupler, and bolt up the case I already have.
and remember how much of a pain in the arse it is to fix if it breaks every time I think a little more throttle might help!  :crossed:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
This is correct and at no extra cost (21-spline kits are the same price as 23-spline kits) unless you've already purchased 21-spline parts. Now you are stuck with the 21-spline parts OR you must shell out more dough to get 23-spline parts.

Regards,
BigMike