Poll

Which is the best tow? I'm driving them all and I'm going to buy one of these in the next month!

Ford f-250 Superduty Crew Cab 4x4 powerstroke
44 (31.9%)
Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax crew cab
30 (21.7%)
Dodge 2500 crew cab cummins
64 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Tow rig Poll!  (Read 33801 times)

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
Tow rig Poll!
« on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:02:03 PM »
I drove the Ford last year and really liked it. I like it even more now that they went coil over in the front, but it feels huge compared to the Chevy also the most expensive. I like the acceleration/power of the Chevy but the ground clearance really sucks, bonus points though for the allison trans. I really like the looks and the interior of the Dodge but I wasn't impressed with the cummins engine-lots of turbo lag especially compared to the Powerstroke
I have a cruiser and a 4runner not to mention a 64 impala that I'm restoring to pull around so help me out guys.
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17649
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Tow rig Poll!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:11:21 PM »
my old boss had a ford f350 quad cab long bed dually. i really didn't like the boss...so this might sway my opioion. it was a nice truck. the motor was good...the 7.3 power stroke.

i have always like cummins. so i would do with dodge...i plan on getting a tow rig after i get a job(most likely a cummings).

my uncle has a 98ish cummings and that has been good fer him.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:  :turtle:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:11:43 PM »
You could just lift the chevy :dunno:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:14:53 PM »
I;m a chevy guy, so I am biased, but you cant beat the allison tranny
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:52:13 PM »
I always liked the Cummins. The Fords are also pretty good and they ride really nice IMO. The thing with Chevys that I dont like is that Ive heard a few Duramax's and they all sounded like ass. The allison tranny is great like Blackdog said but Id say go Cummins. I have heard all but good things on Dodge. They should combine them all and  make one great one. I still say the Dodges are the way to go.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »
I always liked the Cummins. The Fords are also pretty good and they ride really nice IMO. The thing with Chevys that I dont like is that Ive heard a few Duramax's and they all sounded like ass. The allison tranny is great like Blackdog said but Id say go Cummins. I have heard all but good things on Dodge. They should combine them all and make one great one. I still say the Dodges are the way to go.
DODGE sucks :moon: ya can't keep a tranny in one and the resale sux you cant give it away when you get tired of it. NO :bull crap:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »
Dodge all the way. they are less expensive than the other 2 but will last longer. they have great potential for upgrades and the trans are only an issue if you don't know how to tow with it.
 BTW on the issue of trans, I've been hearing more and more people that are not happy with the alison. Most think because of the name, it must be great but remember, most allison equipped trucks are rigs that use manuals. Allison is not known for automatic transmissions. I've also heard that they are not known for holding up to much bombing, maybe 400 horses IIRC and that was with some aftermarket mods to the trans itself.
"between projects"

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:41:58 PM »
I USED TO THINK POWERSTROKE ALL THE WAY BUT IVE BEEN HEARING SOME BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM ESPECIALLY THE 6.0 AND ALSO I HEARD YOU CANT REBUILD THEM, SO I GUESS I WOULD PICK THE DODGE CAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE DURAMAX MOSTLY CAUSE ITS AN ISUZU, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ANY ONE OF THOSE CAUSE I LOVE DIESELS :beer:  :beer:
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »
I'm a cummin's fan..I would buy a yugo if it had a cummins in it :bowdown: ..Ever work on a duramax or a powerstroke? :screwy:

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:23:51 AM »
OK let's say just 4 :pokinit: and gigglez Dodge got the tranny issue fixed... But the point of the matter is it STILL has a Crappy Resale value.A dodge truck is like a bad penny.... You can't give it away after about 5 years.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:28:23 AM »
I;m a chevy guy, so I am biased, but you cant beat the allison tranny

Till the underdeveloped pos falls out at 60k.  Allison wanted to keep working on that trans to develope it further and fix a few things but gm forced the issue so they let it out of the shop too early.  They have some serious issues with reliability.  The heads on the duramax either crack or the headgaskets go out at around 30 k and the trannies die at about 60k. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:29:46 AM »
OK let's say just 4 :pokinit: and gigglez Dodge got the tranny issue fixed... But the point of the matter is it STILL has a Crappy Resale value.A dodge truck is like a bad penny.... You can't give it away after about 5 years.

Who needs resale on a vehicle that wont die?  If it aint broke dont replace it.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:32:36 AM »

Thats just about any new vehicle these days..And they all have there problems,,ford,dodge and chevy..there are good and bad..

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:37:48 AM »
A close friend of mine ordered a 04' powerstroke and within the first 12k ford had replaced the injectors, turbo, and injector pump.  They finally ended up replacing the entire engine!  He had issues with the turbo lines blowing off and the turbo leaking mass amounts of oil.  Nice rig but damn!  BTW ever tried replacing the w/p on a power stroke?  LOL have fun, ill take the 2 bolts that hold the cummins pump in anyday.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:37:56 AM »
on another note the dodge is by far less money off the lot then a ford or chevy..so depending in the area and truck condition I bet resale value would be about the same percentage wise..

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2005, 03:55:02 AM »
I had an 02 F250 CC SD and traded it in on an 04 Dodge QC. The Dodge is more user friendly IMO.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2005, 04:14:55 AM »
F350 with 7.3, the 6.0's have had some problems, but I love my 7.3.  F250 and F350 are the same except the weight class. All the parts are the same as far as I can tell.

Everything you want to know about fords and some you don't. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php?s=

Good luck in making your choice.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:32:54 AM »
think of it like this, ford uses a Navistar ,ie international v8 diesel, chevy uses a detroit deisel (duramax)v8 both have good horsepower,   the dodge uses a cummins inline 6, made by cummins years ago for use in 2 1/2 ton trucks to haul up to 30,000 lbs it produces over 600 lbs of torque at low rpms if you dont let it rev to sling the oil around in the tranny its going to fry cause its under such tremendous  load.   the power stroke has more acceleration but have you ever tried to buy parts for a pwerstroke or duramax,   they are pickup engines made for pickups,  Cummins has been making everything from a 2 cylinder engine for generators to 900 horsepower V8's in off road equipment for years

as for allison they have good trannies, you see them in almost every bus you ever road in, behind large deisels,  i drove one for almost 2 years in a 6x6 cement mixer, with a 12 liter caterpillar engine and as long as it had fluid and wasnt overheated it would spin all six wheels with a11 cubic yards of wet concrete
however,    i dont think the one for the chevies is that great
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:07:04 AM »
on another note the dodge is by far less money off the lot then a ford or chevy..
Ya get what you pay for :yupyup:

BLUCRUZ [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:10:50 AM »
Sounds like I want a Ford chassis, cummins motor and allison trans. I like allison trans. I've been driving garbage trucks with them for over 17 years. :beerchug: Keep the comments coming
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:33:11 AM »
Ya get what you pay for :yupyup:

Unfortunately the added $5K you're paying over the Dodge is to have the little POWERSTROKE badge on the side. It's pretty bad when a diesel becomes "trendy" and high school kids are getting them for their first vehicle.
"between projects"

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:47:35 AM »
My boss has a ford with the new 6.0L powerstroker and has had nothing but problems. The truck has less than 20k on it. The dealership detuned the computer and it has been running better. It has been to the dealership for warranty service at least 15 times.  He has problems getting it started in the cold, which is a major problem as it can get way below zero here. The dealership told him he had to plug it in if the temp dropped below 35 degrees! I heard a story from one of my friends who has a new ford diesel. One day he was cruisin on the highway at about 65 when the truck just started blowing smoke like no other and shut down. He couldn't get it started back up so he called for a tow truck to come and tow him. The towing company had just bought a new fleet of 6.0 Ford diesels. The tow truck they sent broke down on the way to pick him up. I would never buy a 6.0, but I have heard Ford has improved the motors by adding new fuel system components.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:33:48 AM »
the 6.0 is the cheap one

MUDJUNKY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -428
  • Male Posts: 364
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:11:54 AM »
dodge all the way my dad has a dodge with the cummins and a 6 speed manual it kicks ass
"I avoid myspace like the devil himself...  Nothing good can come from having teenyboppers and childmolesters mixed with emo morons hanging out in one place...." white trash.

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
Ford and Chevy have had major engine problems in the past.  Dodge is my choice. :thumbs:

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:24:45 AM »
here's my take as i'm in the process of looking to buy one.  I have a good friend that use to work for a frieght trucking company and now works at ford as well as an uncle who owns a diesel performance shop.  

1. if you are going to buy based on motor then the cummins is what you want.  ya the turbo lag may be a bit greater at stock but there is a lot more hiden power in the cummins than the 6.0 or duratrash.  my uncle has a truck built for pulling that has the new cummins HO in it and it is producing 1150+ft-lb.  the engine was a crate engine and all he has done is upgrade and add external items (sequential turbos, injectors, intake, exhaust, chip, propane injection, etc.)  plus the cummins is built the same as their larger tuck engines.  the 6.0 and duratrazh are engineered for max power right off the lot in my opinion.  yes i know of guys running chips, intakes, exhaust with them and have not problem but there are those with problems.  I've heard that the 6.0 will lift the head and push boost into the cooling system with as little as a chip or intake mod.  i've heard of tons of injector problems with the early duratrash, may be fixed now. plus they have aluminum heads.....on a diesel ???

2. trannys; they all have their issues.  the allison has a great name behind it, but doesn't GM own allison.  so they could put allison's name on any piece of crap.  I've heard many stories of tranny issues with the allison, mainly failure multiple times if the truck is used as a truck and not just a station wagon.  The new ford 5spd has issues too.  as does the older dodge's, not to sure what the new one is like.  if i could get an allison world in a truck that'd be the one for me. :beerchug:

3. milage; cummins hands down does the best my friend gets 16 pulling his rig and 23+ empty.  i'd say the ford has the worst from the numbers i've heard.  may be 16mpg if you're cautious and empty. i've heard that low 20's is possible in the duratrash.

4. power, cummins HO 325hp, 600ft-lb  ford 6.0 325hp 575ft-lb, duratrash not sure on hp but torque is suppose to be 605ft-lb.:bull crap:

5. suspension and brakes.  i'd rather have the ford for the heavier trucks.  can't stand chevies ifs.  i think that a truck should have a live axle and that's it.  at least if i stay 4x4 i'll get that with the dodge or chevy.

6. ease of working on it.  go look under the hood of them...... 6.0 :smack: 7.3  :smack: duratrash :smack:  :smack:  cummins hey i can see the oil filter. :beerchug:

my :twocents: if you are going to buy for resale then go for the chevy or ford.  if you are going to buy for usability, reliability, and milage, go dodge if you are looking at 3/4 tons or even 1 ton.  if you need a bigger truck (f-450 or 550) then ford is the only way to go. bigger breaks, heavier suspension, but stay 7.3 not 6.0

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:28:35 AM »
Love my 04 250 power stroke. They were having some probs with the 6.0s at first, but they've been great lately. I've never had a problem with mine. The trans with the tow/haul is awesome. I towed my 10k lb, 34ft 5th wheel to the dunes in Oregon and the slowest it ever got me down to was 60 on the steepest grades.
The perfect truck would be the f250 with the cummins motor, but we can't have everything our way. this aint burger king.
Allison "is" known for their auto's, just not in pickups. All of our fire engines have allisons. They have been very reliable, but they "think" way too much.
My vote is for the ford. VERY comfortable, tows like my ass is on fire, and great towing tranny.
Also the new 05's have the trailer brake module built in, have better turning radius with the coils and a little higher tow rating than 04.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:32:17 AM »
Good point......a truck should have a solid axle. Who the hell puts an ifs under a 3/4 ton truck?

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »
the wonderful ??? , brilliant :confused:  minds at cheby :stopit:

ya i'd take a f-250 or 350 with a cummins.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:45:33 AM »
I came here to vote but couldnt find the Toyota Tundra Turbo iFORCE Power Diesel and I also do not see the Nissan Titan with the 5.6 liter Twin Turbo VK56DE Diesel option in your poll.........

:hammerhead:

Seriously, Both Nissan and Toyota have plenty of Turbo Diesel experience, so what are they waiting for? They both came out strong attacking the heart of the Full Size Truck industry here, so where are their towing vehicles!!  :dunno: They need to get down to business and build 'em
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki