Author Topic: RUFs on my 88 runner  (Read 7866 times)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
RUFs on my 88 runner
« on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
I am fixing to start the SAS on my 88 4Runner and I am going to run fears up front and 63 chevs out back. The truck didn't come with the stock rears. So I picked up a set of rears from a 92 truck that my buddy had layin around. They are 3 inches longer than those from a 88. So it's an inch longer on the front half and two on the rear half. Has anyone else gone with longer ruf springs? I know that it's going to require different mounting places than the shorter springs. I guess what i am getting at is: would I just hang the rear of the spring in the body mount like normal and push the front hanger 3 inches forward? What do y'all think? Open to input on the topic. :beer:
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Jdlucasjr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Jun '10
  • LIVE.LOVE.LAUGH
    • View Profile
Re: RUFs on my 88 runner
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
Have you searched 3rd gen ruf pack setups? i believe thats the rear spring pack your describing.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
Have you searched 3rd gen ruf pack setups? i believe thats the rear spring pack your describing.

You are correct it is a 3rd gen set.

I am fixing to start the SAS on my 88 4Runner and I am going to run fears up front and 63 chevs out back. The truck didn't come with the stock rears. So I picked up a set of rears from a 92 truck that my buddy had layin around. They are 3 inches longer than those from a 88. So it's an inch longer on the front half and two on the rear half. Has anyone else gone with longer ruf springs? I know that it's going to require different mounting places than the shorter springs. I guess what i am getting at is: would I just hang the rear of the spring in the body mount like normal and push the front hanger 3 inches forward? What do y'all think? Open to input on the topic. :beer:

You have the right idea. My buddy uses a piece or 2x3 rectangular tubing between the frame and front spring hanger to aid in pushing the front hanger forward. Just make sure you gusset everything when it is all together.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »
i ran 91 rear springs up front with boomerang shackles..
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
Yeah they're just 3rd gen springs, some people are running them. IMO not worth the hassle of fitting them for minimal gain of flex

e-roc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2012, 02:12:32 AM »
hey tracker. how is the ride quality with those?

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:59:18 AM »
 ride really nice with the right angle of the shackles and flex better than the shorter springs .. its not much  hassle when you start fresh .. if i was to do RUF again it would be my 1st choice .

Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
I used 3rd gen emu springs because I allready had them. I ended up with shackle hangers on the bottom of the frame rail.  It works and flexes great. The shorter spings are just fine but if you are starting from scratch and you have them you might as well use them. I didn't mount the hanger way out front, just in the typical location. My front end is maybe 1.5" further forward than most RUFs.

I have tuned the leaf packs over the years and I ended up with the top 3 leaves from the 3rd gen emu, the bottom 2 from a stock front pack and a short cut overload on the bottom of it all. I have found that everything feels healthier and handles better if you shoot for more leaf material in the rear of the leaf pack, kind of mimicking the old stock front leaf packs. There must be some engineering reason for the way they built those springs on stock solid axle Toyotas.

Lately I shortended my shackle length about 2" and it really helped with handling and actually flexes even better for some unexplained reason.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012, 12:08:28 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »
Some good info here. I appreciate the input. I like the way the flex looks. I also like the shackle hanger under the frame instead of in the frame. It opens up some more spring options that I haven't thought about.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
Some good info here. I appreciate the input. I like the way the flex looks. I also like the shackle hanger under the frame instead of in the frame. It opens up some more spring options that I haven't thought about.

I've been running the shackle hangers like this for almost a decade with no problems too so I think it's safe to say it's viable...

– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
I've been running the shackle hangers like this for almost a decade with no problems too so I think it's safe to say it's viable...

Sounds good I'm gonna have to try it out. Sounds easier than drilling and sleeving holes in the frame

ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »
The only problem with running the shackle under the spring is it's harder to keep the vehicle low. You're gaining probably an inch of height that you wouldn't have otherwise.
That being said I ran the shackle under the frame on my first gen and now I'm running through the frame on my 3rd gen. No real difference in handling offroad, but definitely can feel it onroad.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »
The only problem with running the shackle under the spring is it's harder to keep the vehicle low. You're gaining probably an inch of height that you wouldn't have otherwise.
That being said I ran the shackle under the frame on my first gen and now I'm running through the frame on my 3rd gen. No real difference in handling offroad, but definitely can feel it onroad.

I would agree with that and this is something you should consider...  If super lowness is your goal through the frame with tubing and traditional shorter springs for RUFs would be better. I just went on a lowering quest and I was able to drop a good 2" from my original setup.  Those short almost stock length shackles were part of that project and also helped with handling tremendously. I could drop maybe like another 3/4" if I redrilled my hanger, but with this setup I can't really get any lower. I would estimate a 4"-5" lift on my 4Runner at this time.

– Steve McQueen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
I may have,to drop mine too, as mine is setup under the frame on 85/91 mixed RUFs eith 48" mains with a 5 1/2" shackles. Its very tall. Buy I like em on the taller side. We'll see, need it safe at 65mph

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
That would be a problem. I'm not looking for a talk rig. I want to stay relatively low to the ground. Maybe start looking for a traditional set of rears then? I would go with the taller rig if I was towing it around, but the whole purpose of this rig is to drive it to the trail and back. Since i don't have a tow rig at my disposal anymore
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
Well mine drives fine and I don't have any problem with big road trips of daily driver duty.  We took it on a 2400 mile road trip with wheeling and camping mixed in this summer and it was just fine. I use the truck for any work trips that justify ground clearance. If you're OK with a 4" or so lift I would try the longer springs and the on frame shackle mounts.  If you are looking for a super low 3" or less lift I would try to get a set of the shorter rears and go in the frame.

Here is a pic so you can see how the ride height turned out, then you can decide for yourself if this is taller than what you want...

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012, 01:29:24 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
Oh that doesn't look too bad. Actually about what I was shooting for overall
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
I got 3rd gen ruf on 2 rigs, Ive done numerous sas, all with ruf, basically, ive used all yr ruf in all types of builds.

If you are starting from scratch, 3rd gen RUF are the best, they will have the best ride, and the most flex.

The way h8pvmnt has his shackles CAN make it taller, but if you notice, it allows him to run a super short shackle, which pretty much puts his rear spring eye where it would be with a tube through frame shackle. So there is pretty much 0 difference there, besides looks. I personally do it through the frame.

Ive noticed that 3rd gen do not move the axle as far forward as 2nd gen ruf, the pin is in a dif spot. The spring is longer, but a 2nd gen set will push it farther forward if bolted into the same spot. They do not lift it much, like any other ruf, you get all your lift from how you build your pack. I like a super pushed forward axle, no drop hangers, and enough lift to have usably uptravel so it doesnt ride like :pokinit:.

This is mine now

2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

907yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Im looking at bbuying a 4runner thats already sasd. im not sure if he  put the jigs on the correct side for the frame tubes ,but the passenger shackle angle is straight up and down while the driver side looks good... would the hanger under frame  work? incase  the wholes were put in the wrong position, he centered the jigs but i dont think he pushed them foward till it hit  the body mount like your supposed to...please correct me if im wrong.

P/s its a trailgear sas kit,with 4" springs. he also could get the full military wrap to fit it would hit the top of the hanger before the whole ould line up so he mounted them backards with the full wraps in the back instead of front
86 reg cab turbo,99runner,95pickup all 4x4
09 honda rincon 680cc 4x4
2000 yamaha badger 80cc (for the kids)
Chicken nutt bread!!!

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
I got 3rd gen ruf on 2 rigs, Ive done numerous sas, all with ruf, basically, ive used all yr ruf in all types of builds.

If you are starting from scratch, 3rd gen RUF are the best, they will have the best ride, and the most flex.

The way h8pvmnt has his shackles CAN make it taller, but if you notice, it allows him to run a super short shackle, which pretty much puts his rear spring eye where it would be with a tube through frame shackle. So there is pretty much 0 difference there, besides looks. I personally do it through the frame.

Ive noticed that 3rd gen do not move the axle as far forward as 2nd gen ruf, the pin is in a dif spot. The spring is longer, but a 2nd gen set will push it farther forward if bolted into the same spot. They do not lift it much, like any other ruf, you get all your lift from how you build your pack. I like a super pushed forward axle, no drop hangers, and enough lift to have usably uptravel so it doesnt ride like :pokinit:.

This is mine now

I dig the way this looks as well. Its about how far forward I want mine to be set up. Have that straight up approach angle. I wasn't going to ho with a drop hanger either. My olds man is gonna weld me up some regular hangers for the front. But as far as the shackle, it doesn't matter whether or not its in or under the frame? Just a matter of personal preference sort of thing
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
That approach angle is pretty awesome! I would mimic that setup exactly if I were you...
– Steve McQueen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Re: RUFs on my 88 runner
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
he also could get the full military wrap to fit it would hit the top of the hanger before the whole ould line up so he mounted them backards with the full wraps in the back instead of front

Thats the problem

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »
That approach angle is pretty awesome! I would mimic that setup exactly if I were you...

Or pretty darn close to it anyway. I'd like to have that approach angle. Especially with some on the trails out here in CO
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky