Author Topic: Potential 1981 Smog Exemption Bill for California!!!  (Read 29279 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
If it ever made out of committee, and actually made it through the now dem. super majority governor Moonbeam would kill it. No love for fossil fuels in CA.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
A compromise would be:

After 25 years you DON'T have to pass the visual, just PASS the sniffer............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Should be that way for everything pass a sniff and your good to go. There is no doubt that if a late model vehicle passes it requirements that it has all the required goodies under hood.

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
This would be so great. I have an 1980 and a 1976, would make everything much easier ..

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
A compromise would be:

After 25 years you DON'T have to pass the visual, just PASS the sniffer............

Should be that way for everything pass a sniff and your good to go.

If smog programs existed to control smog, then this would be the only requirement.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Hey, buddy of mine is a licensed smog tech, he says an open fuel container, or improperly fueling your vehicle releases more hydrocarbons then the entire tank of gas will create on a proper running vehicle, what this means, is that smog is a JOKE without the proper fueling regulations, its funny, up here we aren't allowed to fuel our own vehicles, but only smog in two places. Down there, you fuel your own rigs, but you have to smog everywhere on a transfer, and 90% of the places on a regular basis.

I think that on an OBDII vehicle, you shouldn't be required to pass all the smog BS, just go in and see if you have a MIL/CEL. if not you are good to reg.
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The state of California should pay me annually for replacing my carbureted engine with an OBD-II 3RZ-FE. Just say'n :yesnod:

A $50 credit on every tax return should suffice.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
does anyone know when this goes back up for a vote?

won't matter, the courts will over turn it.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I could use this today.  :gap: My dads 81 failed smog yesterday, high CO and HC.  :rivers: The smog tech said its running rich and it has an exhaust leak at the back of the manifold.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
fix the exhaust leak, create an intake leak? lol
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
One consideration that should be taken into account, the lack of availability of replacement smog equipment. Quite a bit of the aftermarket won't cover parts for cars who's #'s have dwindled into obscurity, especially limited run vehicles. Example, I own a car that shares it's smog equipment and engine with 2 other models. The run on the vehicle in reference was limited to around 15,000, shared between Toyota and Chevy. That's over a 2 year run. Only about 15% are on the road today. Even though it shared engines from 2 other models, the emissions equipment was not interchangeable. This particular model fell into obsolescence almost as fast as it hit the market. Impossible to find emissions equipment for it! So many cars are in the same boat. The rolling exemption should be in place if for no other reason than that. Not a 30 year rolling, but a 25, seems that most replacement parts are exhausted by that amount of time passing. When you factor in the replacement of parts for partial failure or reduced performance from age and a program that expects new performance from aging machinery, parts deplete faster than projected by the manufacturer. 
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
a program that expects new performance from aging machinery

That is my biggest issue when it comes to my MR2. My engine is the same size as some motorcycles yet its treated as if it were double, and its tested in a RPM range not compatible with its efficiency.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
I've been talking to a guy at CARB about that issue lately. My MR2's engine is not designed to run at 15mph in 3rd gear under any circumstances! Proper minimum RPM for any operation is 2500RPM, but, the programming for their testing won't allow that in the 15/15 test mode. Translates to bogging the engine and an increase in NOx and since the engine is going bonkers to compensate for the shortcomings it adds fuel like crazy! And the HC's go through the roof. Before the program can effectively test any vehicle each should be fully researched and test accordingly. An 1100cc 3 cylinder engine can't be tested with the same parameters as a 7500cc 8cylinder engine. The powerbands are completely different and the gearing is generally tuned for the engines powerband. That's why a big engine can idle at 15mph and 15% load. The little 3 banger needs to spin more rpm to work properly. Chances are, the people that decide on the way the testing is performed drive V-8's with auto trans cars and have no clue how any machine operates.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Hear! Hear! Give em hell!

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Fuel formulas, additives, losing a whole number in octane. The dyno! The ever tighter regulations.  :tantrum: Don't get me wrong, I really want my car to run clean, and it does, but just the way they go about things is counterproductive. According to the CA state laws, ANY modification is illegal. So, CARB EOed parts, conversions to cleaner power etc. are illegal. Doesn't matter if it improves all aspects of the performance, you're not supposed to do it. Even if the CARB says it's okie dokie it's illegal. Ask any orificer. And we know that they know everything about everything. Naw, the CA smog program has been a thorn in my side since I've had to deal with it. Let's start on the CA DMV!!!

mountainguyed67

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I don't have anything new enough to need a smog, neener, neener, neener.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
The State of Jefferson...looks good, don't it.  :gap:

When laws affecting rural areas are made by people that live an urban life...exclusively,  guess who gets the short end of the ignorance stick?  :therethere:

I have been blessed in many ways...not living in California (or Jersey, NY, etc.) is right up there with the best of 'em.  :outtahere:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I just wish they'd push through this law so I can do some nice mods to the 80!

And AT, you do not know how much many of us want the Jefferson state for those reasons!  I am completely tired of city folk who've no clue of anything beyond their manicured city borders, and think they know what is good for everybody else, despite having no first hand experience with any of it.  If you can't pass a test to show you know the ins and outs of what you're voting on, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.  Goes for politicians, too!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
I just wish they'd push through this law so I can do some nice mods to the 80!

And AT, you do not know how much many of us want the Jefferson state for those reasons!  I am completely tired of city folk who've no clue of anything beyond their manicured city borders, and think they know what is good for everybody else, despite having no first hand experience with any of it.  If you can't pass a test to show you know the ins and outs of what you're voting on, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.  Goes for politicians, too!

Nate...I could go on for hours, you guys know it firsthand. The closer “We the People” are to the seat of power, the more responsive and responsible that power will be. That's just one reason we need to do away with the 17th amendment and get the state to reclaim the power usurped by the Federal government.

As to city folks...I feel sorry for people that exist in the megaubertropolis' of today. Cities crush my spirit. Man was not meant to live stacked one upon the other (calm down brainless) like cordwood. I saw a movie recently...it starred Richard Harris, of all people, as Abraham. At one point Abraham told Lot...Not to stay in the city, as nothing good ever happens there. I don't know about "nothing" good...once a month or so, a trip to the city for pizza is good.

You can't change the flow of the river from the comfort of the riverbank...you need to get out in the middle.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
All I have to say is dream on if you think California will ever raise the year, 1st off the cut off of 1975 is due to the fact that this is when catalytic converters and true smog devices were mandated on a federal level and is the reason that CA. stopped it there. Secondly you who have those vehicles that don't require smogging should feel lucky that they don't require that you have to smog them as they have required it in the past on all vehicles. Plus every now and then they talk about banning them from the street completely. Or they could require fitment of aftermarket devices as they have also done in the past.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
All I have to say is dream on if you think California will ever raise the year, 1st off the cut off of 1975 is due to the fact that this is when catalytic converters and true smog devices were mandated on a federal level and is the reason that CA. stopped it there. Secondly you who have those vehicles that don't require smogging should feel lucky that they don't require that you have to smog them as they have required it in the past on all vehicles. Plus every now and then they talk about banning them from the street completely. Or they could require fitment of aftermarket devices as they have also done in the past.

How is that determined? Who needs to get sniffed? In every other state I've lived in or know about...only counties with large populations (urban) need to get sniffed.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
How is that determined? Who needs to get sniffed? In every other state I've lived in or know about...only counties with large populations (urban) need to get sniffed.

Oh they do that here too, but good luck on being in an area that is exempt. Mostly way up North in the Jefferson State area. :gap:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I remember having to install a Nox device on cars in the 70's in CA. and yes I am referring to being in the 1970's and having to install this box that made your car run like crap! Then in the 80's you had to go to state run facilities and have your car smogged regardless of the year it was made 50's/60's/70's/80's and earlier years too. That was a complete failure since the government ran it and you could get the tech to pass it with a little something left in the car. :gap: Next came the 90's where they privatized the testing and the only smog it when you buy it program. Then came Smog Check I & II and now Star Testing. The big B.S. is no pre-testing to prevent becoming a gross polluter which is just plain wrong. With Smog Check I & II the maximum age of a car that needed testing was either 15 or 20 yrs. old I forget which it was until they reached the year model 1975 which is where they stopped it.   

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Really man...my heart goes out to y'all. You can't give up, can't give in and you can't stand it!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yeah I miss AZ. even though I was in Maricopa County and had to smog there, but I can stoke up my fireplace anytime I want. :gap:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
As to city folks...I feel sorry for people that exist in the megaubertropolis' of today. Cities crush my spirit. Man was not meant to live stacked one upon the other (calm down brainless) like cordwood.
I feel the same. The best thing about cities is it gives all those flatlanders a place to live and keeps them far away from me.   :gap:

Oh they do that here too, but good luck on being in an area that is exempt. Mostly way up North in the Jefferson State area. :gap:
Hey, I resemble that remark!    :yesnod:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Rocksurfer:  Give up and say "it could be worse", and it will! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Rocksurfer:  Give up and say "it could be worse", and it will! 

Simply put.... "it will get worse" since far left liberals want us to give up our vehicles and California is leading the way!

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Honestly though, There are good things that come out of the smog program............ Like getting the idiots to actually do maintenance on their vehicles! They need to install a bit on the suspension and brakes as well! It's a bit spooky hearing the car behind you at a red light, brakes just a grinding, and the car going down the freeway with the tires bouncing off the road, boing boing boing ! It's just the way they run the program! Not a lick of sense in how the parameters are set! Seems they pull numbers out of a hat and say, That'll be good. And then the testing is done by a bunch of people that couldn't tune a car to save their lives. They just know it's gotta be this here at that level. My proof of the lack of sense in that area is seeing my car shuddering at the 15mph test for the whole 25-30 seconds. Hey, if you didn't know this, testing buddy behind the wheel of MY car, that can do some serious damage to the entire powertrain. But that's ok, go ahead and destroy my car, I HAVE LOTS OF MONEY! Ask any tax agency.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Pardon my rant.