Author Topic: Potential 1981 Smog Exemption Bill for California!!!  (Read 29315 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, be wary of the charges for the smog test. Older cars that don't have on board diagnostics (OBD2) that can test the evap get an additional charge for that test. And if you have C.A.R.B. E.O.ed parts, they "technician" hast to do a research on the part in question, and the shop can charge for EACH item researched! At $25 per item researched it can get to be a paycheck or two just to have your car smogged. Seems they want to clean your bank account as well as the environment.........
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Oh yeah, be wary of the charges for the smog test. Older cars that don't have on board diagnostics (OBD2) that can test the evap get an additional charge for that test. And if you have C.A.R.B. E.O.ed parts, they "technician" hast to do a research on the part in question, and the shop can charge for EACH item researched! At $25 per item researched it can get to be a paycheck or two just to have your car smogged. Seems they want to clean your bank account as well as the environment.........

I wouldn't go anyplace that charged for that.........

I also bring a print out of my CARB EO parts with me (from the CARB site)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
I didn't get tagged with those charges, the poor lady I was standing behind at the counter got hammered, $150 in charges. She had a turboed car with a few aftermarket parts. They raped her!
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
A note on fuel formula changes. Check your mileage between the winter and summer blend fuels! 2 trips to Sacramento 3 weeks apart. One trip with summer formula fuel, the other with winter formula. Summer formula netted an average 24 mpg, winter came in at a hair over 28 mpg. Both trips were in the same car, 2007 Mazdaspeed3, only change to the car is a C.A.R.B. EOed cold air intake. Cruise control set at 72mph. Only thing different in the trips is the change in the fuel formulation. There's enough 'oxygenator' added to the fuel to change the specific gravity of the fuel in the summer blend to affect the mileage. I'd bet the NOx goes up as well. Think about the impact on the performance and emissions of a carby engine........
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2013, 06:30:05 AM by sirdeuce »

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Summer formula netted an average 24 mpg, winter came in at a hair over 28 mpg. Both trips were in the same car, 2007 Mazdaspeed3, only change to the car is a C.A.R.B. EOed cold air intake.
That's interesting.... everything I have heard or experienced indicates slightly worse fuel mileage with winter fuel formulation. I take it the CAI was installed prior to your winter-fuel trip? That might explain your improved mpg, and makes for somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Also, it's hard to get a very accurate MPG figure with just one fill-up. There are too many variables that can affect exactly how full you get the tank each time.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
He has had the CAI for a while. Maybe he had some tail wind on his return trip?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
AC vs no AC

or

Windows down vs Windows up will affect the mileage.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
CAI was installed the same week I got the car, and the climate control is always on in the car(spoiled), windows up. As for the mileage between the winter and summer blends, Summer has always been less mileage in this car. I never thought about the fuel changes, just accredited the differences to the change in the temp.

bknaus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Sway Bar Guru
    • View Profile
    • Hellwig Products
Hellwig Products Director of Engineering
Poly Goats Club Alumni
Central Valley Crawlers Member

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
This bill bill, until January 1, 2019, would also exempt from the biennial smog check inspections all motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1981 after the 1976 model year from the biennial smog-check inspections. but prior to the 1981 model year if the owner submits proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle.

That's not going to help much......

It's only a little toe(nail) in the door.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,727
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Honestly though, There are good things that come out of the smog program............ Like getting the idiots to actually do maintenance on their vehicles! They need to install a bit on the suspension and brakes as well! It's a bit spooky hearing the car behind you at a red light, brakes just a grinding, and the car going down the freeway with the tires bouncing off the road, boing boing boing ! It's just the way they run the program! Not a lick of sense in how the parameters are set! Seems they pull numbers out of a hat and say, That'll be good. And then the testing is done by a bunch of people that couldn't tune a car to save their lives. They just know it's gotta be this here at that level. My proof of the lack of sense in that area is seeing my car shuddering at the 15mph test for the whole 25-30 seconds. Hey, if you didn't know this, testing buddy behind the wheel of MY car, that can do some serious damage to the entire powertrain. But that's ok, go ahead and destroy my car, I HAVE LOTS OF MONEY! Ask any tax agency.

Carefull what you wish for. That is what Britain has. They inspect everything at M.O.T (ministry of transportation) inspections. Steve will tell you that it severely limits what kind of modifications you can do to your car and if it doesn't pass they take your car and crush it. No second chances. I am sure it started out as a program focused on maintenance and safety but it mutated into something else.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I read a couple blogs about the new bill and one issue is that it treats these vehicles as "classics" meaning there will be mileage restrictions and also insurance coverage limitations. One site I read said the vehicle would not be allowed to go over 5,000 miles per year. Sucks.... Whelp, who needs a speedometer anyhow when we've got GPS cell phones :yupyup:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
A friend of mine is a smog tech in an enhanced area in CA, and there is apparently a new screen that just showed up mentioning to check if a vehicle qualifies for this exemption now....

anyone know more about this? he said it just showed up Friday
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I read a couple blogs about the new bill and one issue is that it treats these vehicles as "classics" meaning there will be mileage restrictions and also insurance coverage limitations. One site I read said the vehicle would not be allowed to go over 5,000 miles per year. Sucks.... Whelp, who needs a speedometer anyhow when we've got GPS cell phones :yupyup:

I may or may not done this in another state.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11