Author Topic: Crankshaft Pulley Grinding on Oil Pump  (Read 11138 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Crankshaft Pulley Grinding on Oil Pump
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »
ok... this has been driving me crazy, and i just spent 7 hours trying to figure it out to no avail... i recently bought an '86 4runner with a bad front main seal with the intentions of fixing it and reselling it and i've hit an unexpected snag... the first time i changed the front main seal i missed the huge groove in the pulley and it subsequently ate the new seal alive and leaked worse than ever...

after towing it home and pulling it apart again i found the groove and bought a whole new harmonic balancer and put it back together. When i started it up i heard an awful metal grinding noise and found that it was coming from between the pulley and the front of the oil pump (the dust shield on the oil pump is rubbing on the inside of the harmonic balancer) I shut it down immediately and pulled it back apart but i cannot figure out why this is happening... i thought the oil pump drive spline might be in backwards, but it's not... and i compared the old and new harmonic balancer and they are the same length. it's almost like it needs a spacer between the oil pump drive spline and the harmonic balancer to push the pulley out another 1/8th inch... the only things i can think of is maybe i have the wrong oil pump drive spline (but i have to pull it back apart and measure it to see if it is the same as this one), or the wrong oil pump( i heard there's some difference between pre-85 22r's and the later 22r and 22re's...

anyone have any ideas?  :inthedark:
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Crankshaft Pulley Grinding on Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »
sounds like you have a oil pump drive spline from a single row engine and need the longer dual row opds   

or did I get that backwards :headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
sounds like you have a oil pump drive spline from a single row engine and need the longer dual row opds   

or did I get that backwards :headscratch:

that's pretty much my only hope right now... but it looks like the one from lc engineering i showed in the link... but that's just from memory... i'm going to pull it all apart again and measure it for sure...
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
so nothing has worked so far, and i successfully messed up my woodruff key... anyone know anything it could be?
My Old Toy

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
So your engine is a flat top piston motor ?
I think the spacer goes on duel row chain motors rarely 20r &22r
Put your harmonic ball on and see if your belts line up ,
Mabe your spacer is gone , I have one but its from a x2 chain engine .
I also have both balancers, in good condition . Pm me if you need any parts

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:26:13 AM »
unless you have a dual row chain you need this  http://www.lceperformance.com/v/vspfiles/photos/1016067-2T.jpg

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:28:06 AM »
single chain = LONG gear

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
Ah ,  :biggthumpup:

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
single chain = LONG gear

that's defiantly the one i have... and it's only off by about 1/8th of an inch, and i thought the dual chain oil drive spline was about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch different...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
well i broke into it again and this time i brought my measuring tape... the drive spline it the exact length it's supposed to be according to lc engineering...

i also measured the oil pump and harmonic balancer... does anyone have the figures on these so i can tell if any of mine are off? the harmonic balancer is the same as the old one i pulled off, but that doesn't mean that i didn't get the wrong part by accident...

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
i think it might be the wrong oil pump, but i'm not sure... apparently there's a different between pre and post '85 22re oil pumps, but i can't find out what those differences are... does anyone know more?
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
95% sure that's my problem... i did some research on identifying 22re engine blocks and it looks like this one is a pre 1985 22r engine block... which uses a different oil pump. I guess the only way i'm going to find out is by ordering a new one and slapping it on. i'll let you guys know if this fixes it...
My Old Toy

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Remind me tomorrow to measure my 86 pump.

I have the LCE dual row timing chain conversion which uses the early pump.   I have my 86 pump in a box (that I actually know were the box is)

Can't measure either pump at the moment as I'm out of town (without the truck)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Cheng Lo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
Mega mormon,  the fsm for an 85 doesn't show a spacer Between the harmonic balancer And oil pump drive spline.  I have mine pulled apart cause the key way sheared apart.  No spacer.

Cheng Lo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
By the way since you have those apart,  can you put your tape on the inside diameter of the harmonic balncer?  I mean the opening that slides onto the crank.  Mine seems to have a lot of play. And I'm wondering if I need to replace mine. 

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
Glad someone posted something as I forgot..........

My 86 spacer (single row timing chain) is 1.685" long

My 86 oil pump will be slighty less than 1.585"  (I left the baggies on it when I measured it because it was slightly oily)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Cheng Lo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Just put my digital caliper on the crank shaft and harmonic balancer.
Crank shaft 31.00mm in diameter where the harmonic balancer sits.
Harmonic balancer is 31.15mm.  There is too much play between the crank and harmonic balancer on mine.
I 'll need to re place harmonic balancer.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »
Just put my digital caliper on the crank shaft and harmonic balancer.
Crank shaft 31.00mm in diameter where the harmonic balancer sits.
Harmonic balancer is 31.15mm.  There is too much play between the crank and harmonic balancer on mine.
I 'll need to re place harmonic balancer.

Think that's fine.

I can pull my balancer off without a pulley remover.  (really surprised me the first time, as I gave it a tug just for the hell of it and it almost landed on my head)

Once the pulley bolt is tight, it's not going to move.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
well i broke into it again and this time i brought my measuring tape... the drive spline it the exact length it's supposed to be according to lc engineering...

i also measured the oil pump and harmonic balancer... does anyone have the figures on these so i can tell if any of mine are off? the harmonic balancer is the same as the old one i pulled off, but that doesn't mean that i didn't get the wrong part by accident...

did you by chance have the timing cover to oil pump surface milled to clean it up??  :dunno:

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
sorry for the long response time... i ordered an oil pump for a pre-85 22r block and i'm headed out today after my classes to put it on... i'm pretty sure it'll work just fine now... after a bit of research i found that one of the only incompatible parts between pre and post 85 22r blocks is the oil pump, and according to auto zone the pre-85 oil pumps are shorter... so hopefully this will fix it!
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »
well i got it done... turns out that because of the pre-85 block i had to buy a new oil pump and water pump... here are the pics to show the differences between them...

post 85 on the left, pre 85 on the right...

and the water pump... again, post 85 on the left, pre 85 on the right...

should be some good reference photos for anyone down the line who has this problem... the difference was about a half inch on both, which was more than enough to screw things up. I don't know what idiot did the swap before i had it, but they drove it around long enough to grind about 1/8th of an inch off of the sleeve on the oil pump, and it was still grinding on it when i bought it :shocking: . some people's children! i understand that it was not a common issue but i'm not super mechanically inclined and i still figured it out after a couple hours weeks month and a half... but still! i can't believe someone drove it around like that! the scraping sound had to be horrible!
My Old Toy

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 07, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and follow through with this post. Great information. It sucks to do a search on here only to find a dead end thread.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Jul 07, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and follow through with this post. Great information. It sucks to do a search on here only to find a dead end thread.

that's what pushed me to finish this one... i hate when someone has the same problem and doesn't finish it!
My Old Toy

Corycory

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 23, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
I cannot see the pictures in this post.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
I cannot see the pictures in this post.

no one can.... photobucket decided to screw over everyone and hold their pictures for ransom....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~