Author Topic: Front Drive shaft Ques for 85 Pickup???  (Read 5306 times)

wmflyfisher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Sep '04
  • 85 Pickup, 94 4runner
    • View Profile
Front Drive shaft Ques for 85 Pickup???
« on: Feb 18, 2005, 03:23:33 PM »
I have a total of about 6 inches of lift up front and I've had my original driveshaft lengthened already and its still not cutting it. I'm going to have a buddy build be a long travel and I was wondering if I will need to keep the CV style up near the Tcase or will I do away with that part and just run the shaft all the way up without it? With the original shaft now I have some vibration even in slow speeds in 4WD. I am tring to eliminate this. Help!!

:beerchug:  :beerchug:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Front Drive shaft Ques for 85 Pickup???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »
I think you should just keep the cv.  It will help out with vibrations when the drive shaft is angled a lot.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2005, 05:49:40 PM by Hyena »

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »
It's going to vibrate no matter what you do unless you can correct the angle between the pinion and the tcase.  The only ways to do this are to lengthen the shaft with a dual case or by moving the axle forward. Or run the same length by running a hi-pinion diff...or drop the lift some.  You can also shim the bejeezus out of the front springs to correct the pinion angle, but unless you turn the knuckles also, there goes your caster. 

Jess at High Angle Driveline has had success in rephasing ujoint-ujoint styles to minimize vibration over steep angles.  CVed will typically vibrate less, but you won't get quite as much droop out of it before it binds.  With a single case, CVed 85 driveshaft (lengthened by Jess) and about 5.5" of lift on my 96, 40-45 mph is where the vibration gets really obnoxious and borderline undriveable.  I'd stick with a CV if this is a daily driver and if you ever need 4wd on the road.

Basically, it's your angles that are the problem more than the length, but the angle is a function of length, so you need to sort out the rise over run to get things vibe-free.

Oh, and btw - your sig - better my momma than my sister and my sister's pretty good.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

wmflyfisher [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Sep '04
  • 85 Pickup, 94 4runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2005, 04:46:16 PM »
Ha! Thats pretty funny! About the situation at hand. I understand what your saying. I don't drive this truck on the road anymore so having it in 4wd at high speeds will not be an issue. I don't think I'm going to put shims up front either! I can deal with the vibration I just don't want to break anything on the trail. I guess the vibration at slow speeds won't hurt anything will it?

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »
Well, it's not ideal.  You'll probably see accelerated wear of the nearest bearings and seals to either end, but catastrophic failure isn't likely.  Where an earth-shattering kaboom is likely is when that CV binds.  Trail only, I'd go ujoint-ujoint and talk to Jess about rephasing it.  I can't remember what rotation he uses to minimize the vibe.  Either way, limit straps and bump stops are your friends.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

ezthere

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Feb '04
  • 85 4runner, worked 4.3L V6. 300HP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
My buddy removed the axels then cut the ends off the axel tube turned the 3rd member north 15 deg rewelded the tube.No more lower drive line issues...the upper remains..
Chuck

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2005, 08:26:16 PM »
It all depins on whats under neath. If you have dualcases you don't hafted to have a cv but if your stock you need it, cv's also give a better ride from 0-100mpr.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2005, 05:52:02 PM »
I have seen when the cv binds up what happens.  It cracked the spline housing, the low side of the driveline were the splines go into.  It happened on my friends 80, he had too much lift and only a lengthened driveline.  the spline were just spinning in the driveline.