Author Topic: RUF with 4 runner rear pack and pickup rear pack mix?  (Read 2289 times)

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
RUF with 4 runner rear pack and pickup rear pack mix?
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
Trying to figure out a good place to start with my RUF's. I'm using the Rear pack out of my '85 pickup and am going to mix it with a rear pack i bought, which is from a 4 runner (not sure the year). The pack from my truck has 3 leafs (not counting the overload), and the 4runner pack has 4 leafs (not counting the overload)...Just looking for some good advice with this particular combo I AM working with, from some people that may have already did theirs successfully with this configuration. Keep in mind any little tips you may have, like beveling corners on the springs a certain way or cutting the leafs with an "x" amount inches of stagger; i will gladly take because iam still in the newb stages of Leaf pack making!

I have researched but i need direct advice for what I AM actually working with, and NOT advice from someone that built theirs from an old pack of procomp's they mixed with 79 cherokee leafs then added a few S-10 leafs they had laying around their uncle Bert's garage...ect...ect...you know what i mean!? lol,  Thanks for any help in advance!

spc mike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Bump

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669

My RUF's are a 6 pack, top two leaves are from a 2wd rear pack.  Bottom 4 are 4" TG springs. 

I'd stagger them with a 3-4" between them.  I'd also figure out a way to run some spring clamps.  The RUF's like to fan out and will give you trouble on the trail. 

I made my own spring clamps on the rear of my springs, clamping the top three together.  The clamp will allow them to seperate several inches but that's it
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

spc mike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Thanks for your advice! That rear "Expansion allowable" clamp is similar to the factory one...so i guess i will be saving those! Did you drill AND tap the leaf itself to hold that clamp on?

Also seems like a 6 leaf pack is the most popular way to go. How much lift would you guess your spring setup gave you?

Stock clamp should work right?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 12:25:52 PM by spc mike »

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Thanks for your advice! That rear "Expansion allowable" clamp is similar to the factory one...so i guess i will be saving those! Did you drill AND tap the leaf itself to hold that clamp on?

Also seems like a 6 leaf pack is the most popular way to go. How much lift would you guess your spring setup gave you?

Stock clamp should work right?

Stock rears as the top two springs and the bottom 4 TG springs. This is how they are going to line up.

I was surprised to see them end the same height. (TG right, RUF left).

I also made spring clamps for both the front & the rear of the springs. I used 1.25" 3/16" strap. I countersunk some allen head bolts into the 3rd spring. Rears up front are known to separate the main from the 2nd pack while wheeling. I knew I needed some kind of spring clamps.

The stock clamps look like they would work just fine!  The RUF's ended up being the same height out of the truck as the 4" TG's but I think they are about an inch lower than the TG's with 4Runner weight on them.  I'm guessing by using 2 sets of stock springs, the spring rate may be even lower than my setup.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!