Author Topic: Building a rear spring pack  (Read 2585 times)

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Building a rear spring pack
« on: Jun 20, 2005, 01:24:19 PM »
I know this has been discussed before, but my search didn't pull the info I was looking for.

I currently have about 5" of lift, which consists of the stock spring pack, with 2  :shocking: add-a-leafs (the  :hammerhead: who owned it before me probably did this  :yikes: ) and a 4" block. I also have extended shackles, which provide about 1-1.5" of lift. I noted that the springs, when twisted up tend to look like a bow (bow and arrow) kinda thing, with the add-a-leafs not flexing at all  :screwy: .

I'd kinda like to replace the whole POS, cause i know the original spring pack is worn, and the add-a-leafs aren't helping much. Looking into aftermarket springs, the only place i can find a 4" lift that doesn't require re-welding the attachments is currently out of stock, and won't have them until September sometime.

Anybody have some suggestions for how to re-build the packs using different leaves from junkers? I'm not really interested in doing a waggy or cheby conversion at this time. I figured I could get new center bolts, and just add some leafs to get the correct arch and ditch those add-a-leafs.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated in advance..

Erik  :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Building a rear spring pack
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2005, 03:53:18 PM »
Well, you didn't tell us who is out of stock, but with your lift shackles you could run some 3 inch Downeys for about 4.5 inches of lift.
You could call up a place like alcan or betts or deaver and have a custom set made.  If you look in the rig gallery section for bluey the wonderslug, that truck is on 4 inch skyjakers with extended shackles so the skyjackes can be made to work.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

germ [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2005, 04:45:46 PM »
Well, you didn't tell us who is out of stock, but with your lift shackles you could run some 3 inch Downeys for about 4.5 inches of lift.
You could call up a place like alcan or betts or deaver and have a custom set made. If you look in the rig gallery section for bluey the wonderslug, that truck is on 4 inch skyjakers with extended shackles so the skyjackes can be made to work.

I'm sorry, it was Downey if I remember right.

I suppose I'm looking for a cheap alternative to buying new springs for a while. I checked Alcan, but they don't list prices, and I didn't know the info they were requesting to get a quote. I'm not opposed to keeping the blocks for a while, but I really need to get rid of the add-a-leafs, as I think they are doing more harm than good.

Thanks for the heads up on the gallery section, I'll check it out.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2005, 05:37:52 PM »
Nothings cheap. Junkyard springs are $100 a pair. Nothing stock length is going to flex much.
For the lift you are seeking, the ride will be stiff and harsh., with very little compression.
Without welding a new spring perch further foward for longer springs, you could build a buggy setup pretty cheap. That would give you lift and flex. You'll probably need longer shocks.
Wheel what ya' got, till it breaks, or till you can afford to spring for a set of Marlins.  :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2005, 05:43:21 PM by rockhound »
How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »
you can buy some rear 5 inch springs from ALL-PRO for pretty cheap,no re-welding required and they work REAL good, www.allprooffroad.com  :beerchug:
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2005, 10:37:14 PM »
to go real cheap order procomp rear springs... not much flex but won't break your buget till you get good springs...
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »
Procomp, trailmaster, or superlift will all work.  But they don't flex worth a damn.  but good for lift.