Author Topic: timimg chain is loose...could that be the lose valve sound hi  (Read 1453 times)

jakesny530

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
Hi.I.just replaced my timing chain and head about 15000 miles ago.if that and I did my valves last night and relized my timing chain on the driver side is really loose and I think that could be the valve noise I keeep hearing it was a brand new timing chain kit.just need help.is it suppose to be lose before oil pressure or time for a new one again..any suggestions not to pricy

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
it should have slack on the chain, esp when the engine is off. The tensioner is powered by the oil pressure and needs the engine on to work correctly.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

BHT12

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 376
  • Member since Jan '10
  • Toyota Addict.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
SHouldnt have much slack.. are you sure one of your guides arent broken? did you put in plastic of metal guides?
1984 4runner. Trailgear fronts, custom backs with shackles, 36 iroks, hi steer, hybrid 20+22r motor, full exhaust, lowsy weber, power everything, rear heat, power Antena,  sr5, altimeter,  back seat eliminator, tube bumper

1981 2wd long bed parts getter. All stock, sr5

1983 Toyota Sandtana Motorhome 4x4 Stock.

jakesny530 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
Yeah all.new plastic ones and a new tensioner..see I thought its suppose.to. have hardly any  slack in it wen its off tho cause it has like an inch of play and that seems like alot..and wen I'm drivinn it drops in power than comes back I thought Mabey that's why..and a clackk I did my valves like 5 times and it still clacks

BHT12

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 376
  • Member since Jan '10
  • Toyota Addict.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Sounds like timing chain. Have you looked down on the droves side to see if through guide broke?  The plastic ones are terrible. I have had bad luck.
1984 4runner. Trailgear fronts, custom backs with shackles, 36 iroks, hi steer, hybrid 20+22r motor, full exhaust, lowsy weber, power everything, rear heat, power Antena,  sr5, altimeter,  back seat eliminator, tube bumper

1981 2wd long bed parts getter. All stock, sr5

1983 Toyota Sandtana Motorhome 4x4 Stock.

jarsh_8

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
theres 2 different chains. one for the early blocks and one for the later blocks. the timing chain for the early block is longer than the later blocks. r u sure u have the right chain for your engine?

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
just by the sound of things i think your good. there should be some slack on one side of the cam for sure.  also you can see the tops of the guides with light when the valve cover is off.  if your sure something is screwed up consider the oil pump as well.

if the valve noise is somewhat suttle...like you hear it next to a wall on the interstate and at idle but not so much as when driving 30 through town that's pretty normal too.  i call that the toyota tick.  you can adjust those valves and get the noise gone, but it will come back before too long.  i would just leave em alone in that case.

other's opinions?????  i'm no expert but have really had little engine problems with these trucks aside from oil leaks. "knock on wood"