Author Topic: black goo  (Read 3593 times)

lockedyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -91
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
black goo
« on: Feb 15, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
 :headscratch: yeah everybody. blew a belt on my 86' this morning when i was changing it i decided to clean out the throttle body and intake. what a mess. didnt get it as clean as i would have liked but it was way better then it was. got it all back together and now i can't get it started looked over everything a number of times . stumped any suggestions. i'm gonna pull it back apart tomorrwow

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: black goo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:24:10 PM »
sometimes when you throw a belt it can snag a wire or maybe coil wire and it wont start  check your conections and maKE SURE YOUR GETTING SPARK,    DID YOU SET YOUR TPS  back exactly like it was???   sorry hit the caplock  :smack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lockedyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
 :usa: i didn't actually remove the tps when i took the throttle body off. i left it attached and cleaned the throttle body with card cleaner

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »
:dunno:   did you get all your vacuum hoses back inplace??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lockedyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:00:32 PM »
can't find any off anywhere :dunno:

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:12:18 PM »
Maybe check the distributor.  Pull off the wires one by one and maybe pull off the cap too.  One day my truck was runnin fine, shut it off, and it wouldn't start at all, just cranked and cranked.  I took off one of the plug wires at the distributor and it was full of this white powdery crap.  replaced cap and rotor and started fine.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Jase

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 147
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »
Speaking of black goo has any one checked these things out?  I have heard of people home brewing these and they say they did the trick.  I think some of the gas mileage claims might be b.s. but it seems to make sense.  :dunno:  Sweet... I just noticed the spell check now I'll look more smarter  :gap:   http://www.condensatorsales.com/

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 12:24:18 PM »
what if you just vent your PCV to the atmosphere, instead of going to the throttle body?  It seems like a bad idea to let those crappy gases back into your throttle body or carb.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
Only thing i can think of is maybe a coil wire isn't plugged in all the way.

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2005, 12:00:27 AM »
Ive heard of trucks or cars cant remember which one it was it threw a belt and it ripped off the crank positioning sensor and it wouldent fire and or run. might check and see if your motor has one i dont think 22rs do put i would check and see. also start with the basics pull a spark plug wire stick a screwdriver in and lay in on the motor have someone turn the turn over and see if it sparks if it does pull a plug and see if they spark you may have gas fauled them really bad and they wont spark or have a weak spark,  if no spark then thats your problem if it does maby its not getting fuel or maby its flooded really bad from spraying so much carb cleaner down the throttle body or you may have plugged up your injectors from letting the black carbon go down the throttle body without the truck running. generally i try too have the truck running when i do this it helps it from flooding and also if you have it reved too around 2 grand it also keeps it running better and the crap goes threw the motor without sputtering and trying too die like at idle.
good luck and check your spark and fuel 1st before you do anything.
good luck
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

lockedyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:07:54 AM »
its getting spark, after it  sat until i got to it. it acts like it just about wants to start. then it just turns over. i think the injectors got dirty or its just really flooded with carb cleaner. :idea:

lockedyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2005, 04:52:41 PM »
finally got it runnin, there was too much junk and card cleaner down by the injectors. took it all back a part let it soak in degreaser for a couple hours and took it to the carwash. that did a much better job. got it pretty much spotless inside.got it all backtogetherand figured out the pvc valve was crackedi could keep it running with my finger over the hose. went down and bought a new valve and it runs much, much better. came up with another dillema though. dropped a screw driver down in the skid plate. when i got it out i found a big bolt down in the skid plate. about 2.5" long looks like a  16mm or 17mm. with a big circumference arond the base of the head. it has a #10 on it. anybody got any ideas where it might of come from. i was thinking maybe a motor mount. couldnt find a place for it anywhere.  :thumbs:

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:23:16 PM »
It wouldn't be one of the cam bolts, would it?  The ones used to adjust the alignment on the stock IFS.