Author Topic: 81 22R carb issues  (Read 3184 times)

ky-homelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
81 22R carb issues
« on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
This is my first vehicle with a carb in probably close to twenty years now and I'm out of my element here. All of a sudden, my truck decided to start acting up. When I go to start it, it will start and instantly rev to I'd say around 4000-4500 rpm's. I don't have a tach in it, but I'd say that's about what it's turning. It won't come down! If I tip the gas pedal it just revs more. Can any of you give me some guidance on what to look for? I've tried spraying WD40 around it, and it does seem to slow it down some. I've replaced every vacuum line I can find going to the carb, what next?

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 81 22R carb issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
Maybe it's as simple as the throttle cable sticking in the cable housing... Always check the stupid stuff first. 

I have made the uneasy transition from EFI to carb.  I always had trucks with the 22re and had that stuff all figured out and a couple years ago I got a 1980 4x4 for $250.  It had some cobwebs including rebuilding the carb.  Keep after it because after you start to get the carb setup you will find you can always limp it home no matter what.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ky-homelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
You know, it could be the throttle cable sticking. The butterfly on the drivers side of the carb will not move at all. With the air cleaner off, I can use my hands to open up the passenger side butterfly, and this U shaped arm like thing is in the way of the operation of the drivers side butterfly. If I move the little arm, I can work the drivers side butterfly easily, but then to let it all go that U shaped piece comes back up and blocks it's movement. You wouldn't happen to have some close up pictures of your carb would you?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
I bet it's the electric choke sticking. That stupid thing loves to do that. I ended up bypassing it on my old 81 when I rebuilt the carb, it was doing that same thing so bad it would accelerate without me touching the gas peddle...

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
You know, it could be the throttle cable sticking. The butterfly on the drivers side of the carb will not move at all. With the air cleaner off, I can use my hands to open up the passenger side butterfly, and this U shaped arm like thing is in the way of the operation of the drivers side butterfly. If I move the little arm, I can work the drivers side butterfly easily, but then to let it all go that U shaped piece comes back up and blocks it's movement. You wouldn't happen to have some close up pictures of your carb would you?

Unfortunately my carb is the one on a 20r, which is a bit different.  I have a water choke instead of electric and it's even shaped different.  Maybe one of the other guys can help you out...
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ky-homelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Well, I messed with it a little over the weekend. I used a can or two of carb cleaner and cleaned all the linkage the best I could and then sprayed WD40 all over to make sure it was lubed up good. I don't think the WD40 is a very good lube, but seems to do the job at present time. What can anyone suggest to keep things lubed up well in the carb linkage? Then I undertook the process of trying to replace all the vacuum hoses around the carb. Wow, 15 or so feet of hose later, I have it running pretty good! I also lubed the accelerator cable the best I could. I squirted WD40 in both ends and worked the pedal back and forth trying to get the WD40 up in the cable to help with lubrication. First thing of a morning I can go out, pump the pedal 5 or 6 times and she fires right up! I let it idle a bit and tap the gas pedal and the idle settles right down. Prior to the idle racing out of control, I dumped 4 or 5 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas tank. I'm wondering if that didn't have something to do with my idle speed going haywire? Maybe it broke something loose and plugged a small passage in the carb?

Once I got it running pretty well, I took it down to the gas station and poured in a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool into the gas tank prior to filling it up. I took it out on the highway and got up to 60 mph and stomped it! At about 70 or 75 mph, it felt like the carb was blocked or something. It kind of shuddered, but then took back off gaining more speed. I did several attempts at slowing down to 55 or 60 mph and flooring it getting up to 85 mph or so. I guess my train of thought was to blow out the cobwebs! All I know is, now when I'm cruising down the road at 60, and I hit the gas she takes right off and goes like crazy! Not to mention, the main thing I was trying to fix was the racing engine at idle, which is all gone too! By the skin of my teeth, I think I have narrowly escaped taking apart the carb for a rebuild right now! Thanks for the help gentlemen! I'm sure I'll be around asking more questions!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
Sometimes it's just old truck cobwebs...
– Steve McQueen