Author Topic: Treadwright  (Read 6346 times)

sctoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Treadwright
« on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
Has anybody checked out the Treadwright tires?

I got the Mad Dog tires. They are the same as the Goodyear MT/R's.

I am running 285/75R16's on a 97 4Runner with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 Kit. I have had them for about 5000 miles and I really like them. I will say that they seem to be a little bigger than a typical 285. I had to do some A arm shaving and more fender trimming than I expected. Again, all worth it for the price of the tires.

I have the real 37" Goodyear MT/R's on my Tacoma. The real MT/R's are much quieter on the road. The Treadwrights have a whine to them, but nothing too major.

I wanted to post this to see if anybody else has given them a shot and if there are any good or bad experiences with them. I am thinking that I will be ordering another set when mine wear out. Also, I know that everybody is shaving pennies these days and tires usually hurt the bank pretty badly.

HH

Fat chicks and mopeds are a good ride until someone sees you.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Treadwright
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
I am running them on my work/firewood/trail ride truck with great success!  I've had them since about January with no issues.  They are very good in the snow.   Mine were 31s and were as close to 31" as I've ever seen a radial tire.  Here is the link to my thread...

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76922.0
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Ill pay double and have piece of mind.
I would never trust my and everyone else's safety on the road rolling on retreads.

A friend bought these tires before making a 12hour drive to cali and bragged about what a good deal they were. On the way down his tire blew up and it nearly cost him his life.
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
I decided to do a little more research on treadwrights, http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/405093-our-new-land-cruiser-saved-our-lives.html

Yeah retreads aren't for every body but unless I'm missing something the landcruiser in that roll over didn't appear to have Treadwright tires on it.   Unless there is something in there saying these were Tweadwright tires on the landcruiser it's not really fair for you to post it like that...

We have several guys around here running these and out of about 5 sets we've had one tread separation due to a bad carcass and they waranteed the tire no problem and sent out a new one ASAP.  The carcass actually had the cords come apart inside the tread and the tread didn't even separate and the tire did not blow, it just got a little wowee in the tread and shimmied alot.
I'm not saying these can't separate or blow out, but any tire can, especially ones we air down and abuse every weekend.  This is a chance we all take.

The OP wanted to hear from people running these tires, not from people with opinions and no personal experience.  If you had one explode on you and kill everyone then by all means post it up!    If you've never ran them at all then keep your rhetoric to yourself.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Yeah retreads aren't for every body but unless I'm missing something the landcruiser in that roll over didn't appear to have Treadwright tires on it.   Unless there is something in there saying these were Tweadwright tires on the landcruiser it's not really fair for you to post it like that...

We have several guys around here running these and out of about 5 sets we've had one tread separation due to a bad carcass and they waranteed the tire no problem and sent out a new one ASAP.  The carcass actually had the cords come apart inside the tread and the tread didn't even separate and the tire did not blow, it just got a little wowee in the tread and shimmied alot.
I'm not saying these can't separate or blow out, but any tire can, especially ones we air down and abuse every weekend.  This is a chance we all take.

The OP wanted to hear from people running these tires, not from people with opinions and no personal experience.  If you had one explode on you and kill everyone then by all means post it up!    If you've never ran them at all then keep your rhetoric to yourself.

if you read the post you'd see the land cruiser was on treadwrights.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
At the same time how many people have had non-retreads blow out?

I have.  It sucks.

I don't know if its fair to assume that because it is a retread its automatically prone to blowing out. 
I know a lot of people run these with no problems, i have no experience with them.

Hell can you even tell its a retread unless you bought them?
Im sure someone could get the mt/r pattern on a goodyear mtr sidewall and i wouldn't know the difference.
Just sayin

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
At the same time how many people have had non-retreads blow out?

I have.  It sucks.

I don't know if its fair to assume that because it is a retread its automatically prone to blowing out. 
I know a lot of people run these with no problems, i have no experience with them.

Hell can you even tell its a retread unless you bought them?
Im sure someone could get the mt/r pattern on a goodyear mtr sidewall and i wouldn't know the difference.
Just sayin

again dingman, if you read the post you will see they are retread treadwrights.
they were at 38psi, with 10-12k.

The OP asked for any good or bad experiences with them. I have personal experience with treadwrights and they weren't good.
They asked for a lot of weight when balancing and the tread wear was poor.

apparently some people take big defense to poor reviews on knock off tires they are running. I'm sorry if i hurt any feeling, i simply don't recommend them, and it's okay if you do.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
again dingman, if you read the post you will see they are retread treadwrights.
they were at 38psi, with 10-12k.

The OP asked for any good or bad experiences with them. I have personal experience with treadwrights and they weren't good.
They asked for a lot of weight when balancing and the tread wear was poor.

apparently some people take big defense to poor reviews on knock off tires they are running. I'm sorry if i hurt any feeling, i simply don't recommend them, and it's okay if you do.

if you read what i wrote, there was nothing but abstract thoughts.  it was not directed at your post.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »

OK fair enough...  What page does it say they are Treadwrights?  I read through about 4 pages and didn't find it.  Not saying it's not in there I just want to read it myself and I missed it.  FYI I did a few searches of my own and I found about 99% good reviews and no specific blowout/wrecks.  So if that LC had a Treadwright blow like that it was a fairly isolated incident.

I started with these tires being a little skeptical myself and the product itself has changed my mind.  I kind of bought them to take the bullet and try them out to give feedback to a bunch of ther guys around here thinking about buying them. These work very well, were a good deal and haven't blown out or killed me.

Many tires can and do blow out...

BFG blowouts...
http://www.ehow.com/list_7584119_problems-goodrich-traction-ta-tires.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/90305-tire-blow-out.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7712

And a swamper blowout at the bottom of the reviews on this one...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Super_Swamper_TSL.htm

Most of the way down on this one...  

http://forums.4wheeloffroad.com/70/7742332/4x4-tires/bfg-mud-terrains-or-goodyear-mt-r/index.html

and again here...  

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/goodyear_tires.html

These are big name tire companies that most of us run and mostly new tires and I've found less documented blowouts searching Treadwrights.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011, 12:32:18 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »

I see it there on the very last page of the thread.  So they were Treadwrights.

Regardless I still think these tires have a pretty good track record when you start looking around for blowouts and defects in general and it's not really fair to bag on them just because they are retreads.  If you search around you can find a blowout of nearly every tire we run on our 4WDs.

Also I think the OP is looking for people who have RAN the tires, not just balanced them...  Of course they aren't going to balance easy, they have a bunch of extra rubber pied on.  Mine balance as well as any other mud tire I've ran.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011, 12:11:36 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »
I'll be getting a set of the 37's in the near future to run on the road. I have no problems running retreads and i do daily on a semi hauling 80-110 THOUSAND pounds. Not too worried about my 3.5k toyota
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
A huge reason tires blow up is due to there age. If a tire is over 10 years old most tire shops wont even touch the tire (America's tire/discount tire and other reputable tire shops) unless it is to dismount for new tires. no inflation, no flat repairs, no rotations, no re-balancing, even if it has full tread. In some European countries it's illegal to run on tires even 6 years old.

There is a DOT number on every tire required by law which is about 12 digits (a tires serial number), the last four or three numbers tell the tires age. as an example 129 would mean the 12th week of 1999. 2305 would mean the 23rd week of 2005.

This is one of the reason i don't feel comfortable with retreads. more than likely the tires are old. you get what you pay for, and in a hobby such as offroading and the abuse we put our tires through, they just aren't something i'd cheap out on.

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
I have the treadwright gaurd dogs in a 31x10.5x15 I have nothing but good to say about mine.  They work awsome in snow, Wheel great, air down to 10 psi regularly with no issues.  I would recommend these tires and plan on getting bigger ones next year. Mine are wearing great and havent lost any chunks on the rocks. balance fine no vibrations noticed on the freeway.

sctoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
Thanks for all of the info.

I thought I had searched all of the forums for something bad about the Treadwrights, but apparently not. The Land Cruiser incident looked pretty bad.

So far, mine are holding up nicely. I have logged about 8,000 miles on them, and no problems. I do a good amount of highway driving on them and they seem to be holding up well. Also, all 4 tires balanced with less than 10 oz. of weight. One tire only needed 1.5 oz!

I did a good bit of research on retreads and the technology is a lot better than it used to be. I live in Greenville, SC where the Michelin North American Headquarters is located. They have their own retread technologies. I asked some people that deal with the Michelin retread tires and they said that retreads are perfectly safe. There are also numerous government agencies that use retreads. Those articles were several years old. I am sure a lot more government agencies are using them now that the economy is in the shape it's in.

I have a lot of people asking about them when I take the 4Runner out wheeling. I think that those people are waiting to see how they hold up with my vehicle.

I was very skeptical at first, but after lots of research and limited "testing" I am sold on them. I have the Toyo carcasses on mine. I would probably not want a Definity Dakota carcass or some other cheap brand tire for the carcass.

Again, thank you for replying with all of the information. The good and bad comments are welcome. If you are skeptical, I would suggest trying them out first. If my Tacoma becomes a trailer rig, I will definitely be getting the Treadwrights with the Kedge Grip!

Fat chicks and mopeds are a good ride until someone sees you.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
ftr, Its against Federal law to run them on the steering axle of any commercial truck.    wonder why that might be :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
any tire that isnt made as one piece (retread) is not going to be as good as an original... retreads are why I haul ass past big rigs on the freeway! ever seen one explode? no bueno....
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »
this should answer some question   ..post 102
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902637&page=5
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..