Author Topic: Treadwright Guard Dog Review: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!  (Read 32874 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
 So I have been going for the less is more build on my '80 longbed. It has a front locker and a welded rear,  rear springs up front with only 4 leaves and even limiting straps (eeeck!  :o) so I don't destroy the steering.  I scored some free new monotube shocks in longer that stock length which have really helped the ride.  I even added those daystar shock bump stops to help smooth out the last 2" of compresson travel.  The goal is to look very close to stock while adding as much off highway performance as possible without spending hardly any money.   Also I have been leaning very heavy to a "retro" style to keep it looking like a relic that just drove out of the early 80s.   The fun thing is I can still wheel circles around most of my buddies around here with much larger rides (mostly jeeps :) ).

Future plans will probably include other stealth mods like dual t-cases and a high clearance underbelly skid and that's about it.  I have been running rag tires up untill now.  I have a partial set of 33" coopers that were free, a set of 235 michelins that were also free and a set of 34" swampers that I throw on for serious wheeling. These are either to big or to small for the stock 4.37 gearing I have.  I was going to buy some gears if I could find another decent cooper 33 to finish out the set, but I can't find any without cracked sidewalls or bald tread so I threw in the towel and decided to buy some 31s for all around driving.  After a little shoping around I couldnt find a new set of 4 31s for less than around $600.  Being a tightwad cheap or free build project I decided to try the treadwright retreads on this truck.  I ordered a set of the "guard dog" mud terrains that look like the old goodyear MTRs on matching BFG casings.  I was able to get 5 tires shiped for less than 4 of anything else. 

I even have a set of 5 of the old chrome SR5 wheels from an '85 4Runner that I plan to mount them on.  The interesting thing is that these guys make 37s for 16.5 rims in the same tread that would go great on some hummer beadlocks.  After I get them and run them I'll give an update on performance and durability/ride etc..

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2012, 11:14:20 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Go small or go home! Ordered 31" retreads...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »
When I used to work at Les Schwab we used to sell the :pokinit: out of the retreads.  We had a set of 31's in a mud traction.  The only issue was once in a while you got a tire that took ALOT of weight to balance. 

The only thing you have to watch out for with retreads is airing down.  Most of the time the casings/tread don't like it.  Cause the casing would heat up enough to soften the glue.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
had a set of the old school treadwrights (when it was high tec retreading), on the old Xterra... they seemed to do fine, no major issues, even aired em down to play in the sand alot.....  im planning on getting the same tires when i need em for my 91....  let us know how they go
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

bslh8tr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
My first Moab trip with my first Toyota a 1980 LWB bobbed 14" with a pop-rite And 31" Bfg Mt's could go Anywhere my buddies and there fully built rigs could...  :beerchug:
1986 4Runner SAS

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
It should be a good test because I air down about every other weekend plus I do alot of long highway and gravel farm roads with the truck during the week.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

bslh8tr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
Quite often I miss having something mild. Makes the trip more of a challenge. Have been seriously looking at another 1st gen LWB And doing just 33x10.50r15's  :greengrin:
1986 4Runner SAS

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
I've found that not having 4 feet of articulation is good for keeping your driving skills sharp.  Of course everybody needs a point and shoot crawler in the stable as well :)

This one has been a kind of "what if" build experiment.  It has full traction but only moderate improvements everywhere else. I figure that adding dual t-cases will make it the ultimate sleeper.  It's amazing what you can wheel with only drivetrain mods.
– Steve McQueen

1980yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
I like it! My buddy is doing something similar to an 82 pickup. Only things he is changing are t-case gears and locker in both axles. Everything else is staying stock. I think it will go quite well and I am sure yours will too.

bslh8tr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
My second time to Moab I was rocking a 79 LWB stock with a bob job and 31's I was able to do some 4+ trails. I miss those days... :)
1986 4Runner SAS

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »
I've seen them up close and they look to do a very good job.  How good?  We had a dodge come through for a rotation/reblance and flat repair.  I spotted them in the parking lot, pulled in the truck and told another tech we couldn't do the repair since they were retreads.  He looked at them and said they weren't retreads.  I said look again, toyo doesn't make an mtr, and after about 30 seconds he realized I was right.  I played out this same scenario with another tech and one of the higher ranking managers, all of which initially thought I was high.

That said, we couldn't do the repair since they were retreads...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »
I've seen them up close and they look to do a very good job.  How good?  We had a dodge come through for a rotation/reblance and flat repair.  I spotted them in the parking lot, pulled in the truck and told another tech we couldn't do the repair since they were retreads.  He looked at them and said they weren't retreads.  I said look again, toyo doesn't make an mtr, and after about 30 seconds he realized I was right.  I played out this same scenario with another tech and one of the higher ranking managers, all of which initially thought I was high.

That said, we couldn't do the repair since they were retreads...

no plugs patches or anything? how come
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
Most places wont touch retreads due to liability reasons. Same thing with sidewall repairs. I have to send my 2 boggers off with sidewall holes since noone local will get near them
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Fixing retreads is just like a regular tire.  Just have to look at the inside casing, and where the tread is glued to casing.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
We have shops around here that will fix anything, even sew up sidewalls but we are out in podunk farm country...
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Most places wont touch retreads due to liability reasons.

:yesnod:  I work for a big company that won't stake their reputation on stuff like that. 

Had a set of these come through the other day again, this time a "new" set that we mounted.  Again, nobody else noticed till I said something, and again, I got an "are you sure" from a couple of them.  I just pointed to the sidewall and said "I'm pretty sure bfg doesn't make mtr"  :haha:

That said, they took god awful amounts of weight to balance because they ran out like the beads weren't seated, despite being seated.  They looked good otherwise, but that wouldn't sit well with me  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Most of the the retreads I dealt with took alot of weight.  But man they did wear like iron though. 

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
:yesnod:  I work for a big company that won't stake their reputation on stuff like that. 

Had a set of these come through the other day again, this time a "new" set that we mounted.  Again, nobody else noticed till I said something, and again, I got an "are you sure" from a couple of them.  I just pointed to the sidewall and said "I'm pretty sure bfg doesn't make mtr"  :haha:

That said, they took god awful amounts of weight to balance because they ran out like the beads weren't seated, despite being seated.  They looked good otherwise, but that wouldn't sit well with me  :twocents:

starting to sound like you work with a bunch a tards.............. dare i say "schwab's" lol

Tillamook, OR

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
No and no.  It's just that I have an eye for this stuff and am into truck tires, so I know toyo and bfg don't make an mtr tread pattern.  I think it's more an issue of them not wanting to look shown up by somebody who's been doing this for a few to several years less, especially when I'm noticing it at a glance and they're having to look closely  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
Tires got shipped yesterday!  Time to dig out my rims...
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
Got my retreads mounted up yesterday and bolted them on the truck today.

They were on 5 matching BFG casings just like I requested and I couldn't see any flaws at all. I expected the rubber to be kind of hard but the compound seems about medium soft to the touch.  Should be pretty sticky.
It is a little odd to see old MTR tread design with BFG lettering but they look great, certainly not like any retreads I've ever seen.  The tire guys who mounted them up didn't think they were retreads and did a double take when I told them.

In an effort to keep them looking puny I put them on some stock 6" SR5 wheels.  They measure about 30 3/4" tall and about 9" wide on that wheel. As of now the tread patch appears nice and flat despite being on too narrow of a wheel.  They did take a bit of weight to balance but no more than any other radial mud tires I've had.  I can't give a performance report yet because I have my carb torn apart but I will take them out and flog them as soon as I have the truck running again...

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011, 05:41:10 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
starting to sound like you work with a bunch a tards.............. dare i say "schwab's" lol
did you know it is a violation of FEDERAL law to run a retread on the steering axle of any truck over 26,000 pounds?? can you guess why??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Makes sense when you see all the recaps laying on the highway...

I've heard good things about these but time will tell if I shell any caps or not. :)
– Steve McQueen

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
they'll seperate and explode!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
let me requote....

:yesnod: 

I would figure, ANYONE who works with tires would see something like this and atleast think something is up.... but then again, most "tire shops" are not accustomed to seeing m/t type tires

Tillamook, OR

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
I had a tire guy at Sam's Club explain to me the difference between an all terrain and a mud tire the other day like I was some little old lady.  I was going to buy tires there that day, right then, but I decided I would go elsewhere after his little seminar.
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
let me requote....

I would figure, ANYONE who works with tires would see something like this and atleast think something is up.... but then again, most "tire shops" are not accustomed to seeing m/t type tires

We deal with a higher volume of tires than a lot of shops and see quite a few tires.  Though we sell much more all terrains, we probably sell more mud tires in this area than others just by virtue of being where we are.  I believe what happens is the others, especially non-techs (salesman), deal mostly in new or newer tires, so stuff like this throws them for a loop.  I've been a second hand tire purchaser for waaaaay longer than I've worked at the shop, and I've dealt mostly in mud tires, so it stands to reason I'd notice this kind of thing much quicker than them.

Hell, most of them didn't even know you could get retreads for sport bikes either  :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:29:46 AM »
I didn't know you could get retreads for sport bikes...
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
I haven't aired down or anything yet but I did go get a load of firewood off our creek bottom property in the greasy mud and wet ice.  I also got to drive over some slipery 12" wet logs, you know the kind that are at a bad angle across the trail so you get kicked to the side...  So far the tires are very sticky on everything, even at 35 psi.  They stuck on the slippery wood better than most tires I've drove through that same spot.  No big suprise with the old MTR tread design and a soft sticky compound.
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
Did I mention you can get these with crushed glass or walnut shell in the tread too  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA