Author Topic: 73 Hilux. In the works  (Read 5787 times)

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
73 Hilux. In the works
« on: Sep 23, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
Sorry, I'm new here and can't post pics yet. All I can say is it is a 73 Hilux. I'm gonna run 33 10.5s on leafs so probably won't be all that fun for some of you guys. This is build number 3 for me and probably my last :)
Body and suspension are mocked up and its getting ready for a motor. I almost bought a 3rz for it until I started to research the 2tr.
Got a couple questions about it.
1. I need a suggestion for a tranny setup that will bolt up well to it but keep my pass side diff up front.
2.does it matter if I use a manual ecu or auto as in the 3rz?
Romans 12:2

sckid831

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Re: 73 Hilux. In the works
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
more and more guys with vintage hilux's are popping up what motor are you running i have a 78 that im going to 4x4 with an 85 front axle trussed and a diff guard fj40 rotors and ifs calipers and im going to try and use the stock frame with 33 12.5 15's i think its going to look sick good luck im staying tuned in for the updates

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
i'll be watching this build.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
are you looking for a manual tranny or auto? as far as the ecu on the 3rz i am not sure but i would guess if you ran a manual it would not matter. as far as leafs go alot of people love them. I run them in my 85 runner that i compete in and they flex awesome. welcome and get some pics up asap, you can pm me and I will get them up for you.
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
When I finally got out of the poorhouse I thought I was gonna be the first to build a vintage Hilux. Then I saw one at he tds safari and sighed. Oh well. But this is my third build and by far the most fun. Why I decided to do it is because I thought it hadn't been done, but I also like the size and the look.. However the biggest reason is I am sick of freaking smog!! I drive it to and from, it isn't trailerd.
Right now I have about 30 hours in. I am planning on running leafs, always have run leafs and I like them. I have a 2 other 4runners. The Hilux I want to run 33 10.5s on a 3 inch spring with high steer and all that jazz.
I want to run a manual trans hopefully my w56 from a donor but I don't think it possible if I do decide the 2tr. But that 18r is a dog beyond belief. And weighs a ton.
Gonna keep the bed and cab clean and run a 6 cyl  8 in rear with an 8 in front. I have all the parts except the engine that's why I want to keep a trans with pass side diff tcase.
I cant have the truck in Bakersfield where I am so I have to drive to laguna hills where it is to work on it. Plan to have it done for tds in march.
Gonna use rust bullett so that's a first for
Me. I'll let y'all know if I like it.

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
i'll be watching this build.

If I can get a rolling by the end if this weekend I'll think about bringing it up. I'm doing most of the work solo so when it comes to lifting the body and moving the heavy stuff it takes a bit longer. I'll take pics and bring em by the shop some tuesday. I work nights so that isn't the best schedule for buildups.

sckid831

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
sweet cant wait for pictures

sckid831

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
my frame is wider then yours its going to work fine and it doesnt matter about smog really i weill make it pass for a good amount of time then i can make it green sticker

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »
Then you are golden!

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »
Ok, so I got a little work done, but got rained out. Took some pics. Good news is I pretty much have most of what I need to do the 3rz swap. I did manage to get the suspension mocked up on the frame and remove the interior and doors. Nothing is fully welded or finished and wont be until after the motor is fit and I tear it down again before paint. I want to be 100% on the clearances before it gets all welded up. The lift is a 3" TG.....NEVERMIND the shackles. There is no weight on the frame and they probably aren't in their permanent place. The back axle is just for mock up, have another thats goin in.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2011, 11:50:04 PM by Seeds »

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
more...

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:54:39 PM »
Man...I suck at this posting pictures thing. Have to get used to it. Plus they are from my phone.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »
post them up on photobucket and paste a link up to get full size pictures. 
progress is looking good.  are you keeping the bed on it?
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »
 :thumbs:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2011, 08:49:50 AM »
very nice
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
post them up on photobucket and paste a link up to get full size pictures. 
progress is looking good.  are you keeping the bed on it?

Yea, I'm gonna try. There is some rust through the bed but not too much that cant be patched. I thought about running a flat bed, but the bed is in good shape and I prefer to use it.

My only real issue is going to be getting the cab to fit with the motor and trans. It looks like I might have to cut the tunnel out some. i want to keep the body as low as possible so i dont want to put a body lift on it to clear. The only reference I have to go off of for a starting point is the front hangar, dont really have a choice on where to place it without replacing the rear shackle. So I am going to fit the cab to where the axle is, then the motor to where the cab is, then the bed last.

I am hoping these 3 inch springs will settle a lot more with the weight and use.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »
check out steve's build up when you get a chance.  might give you some idea's.  here is a link.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.0
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
yea saw that. He went nuts :)  Have you seen this one, its a 72
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50755.150

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
yea, looks good.  I had a 72 a few years ago.  complete and bone stock with no rust and clean.  sold it to skyscraper on here.  not sure what ever happened to it.  keep the pictures coming.  this is one of my favorite body styles for the toyota's.  rare.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
wish i could find a cheap smog exempt truck, looking good

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:52:22 AM »
Ok. So I got a pseudo spec list. This is the plan. Got a few days off in a row in Nov. Probably back at it then. I've got all the parts but the seats, axles and high pinon front. Might be a while before the front axle gets done, I wanna put 30 spline chromoly axles in it. I figure I'll run it stock, save up parts and do it all at once.

1996 3rz from a t100, W56 with marlin dual cases and a W59 bell, TG :( 3 inch kit front and rear (the only 3 inch complete I could find), 33 x 10.5 BFG's on steelies (Old habits) (maybe 35 Wranglers if I get a wild hair), Hy Steer, warn winch, Marlin armor, ARB's in a high pinon toyota 8in front, Toy 8 in V6 rear housing and 3rd with ARB's and 4.88, chromoly 30's, ARB dual high output compressor, Gonna do some recaro or aerostar seats, Marlin in-the-cab roll cage, lojack, and I think I like Toyota's Quicksand or Army green for color. Leaning more toward Quicksand.

Oh and being a 4 runner owner, i am toying (punny :)) with the idea of a walk-thru. Anyone done a successful one?
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 04:26:15 AM by Seeds »

sckid831

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
do you not like TG's springs? and lemme know how the roll cage goes cause i want one in my 78

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
do you not like TG's springs? and lemme know how the roll cage goes cause i want one in my 78

I have a 4 inch set on my 4 runner, once they break in they are ok. However my bushings lasted 1 run before they tore up, several zerk fittings sheared off while I was just pulling the grease gun fitting off (PITB to get those out), those locking nuts holding the springs in the shackles started walking out to the point where my front end started to shimmy and I had to pull over to troubleshoot the problem before realizing my front rear shackle bolts were all loose (I have since double nutted them all), I had to redrill the spring pad to fit the spring pin (i mean, thats just rediculous) every tie rod lasted one run before the rubber became cracked and worn out (since replaced them with better ones) the tapered hole for my pitman arm was drilled too big so I couldnt torque my tie rod end in without bottoming out the castle nut and therefore making the tie rod useless, had to grind and refit a simple diff cover (pretty standard part), most of the pads on my leaf springs were gone day 1..etc etc...  It isnt so much the spring as the other stuff. Their quality control is sub par for my preference. But they are cheaper. I try to buy a little Chinese as possible, but the price to do my front buying everything separate was gonna be too ridiculous. I was not excited to buy the 3 inch kit from them, but I didnt have a good choice. i didnt want to forgo the ARB. And having done it once I can try to fix the issues.

I like TG for the fact that they help keep market prices down, and their customer service has been superb for me and when ive been in the shop the guys were very cool. But I can almost name 1 thing wrong with each thing I bought. And because the force others to be competitive quality has slid in once superb companies product's. TG has simple QC issues and fair quality on most stuff. Close tolerances are hard to come buy when you buy chinese. I would never buy a Chinese axle housing from them.  Think of it this way...Marlin drives the trannys he builds...Some Chinese kid in a factory walked his ox cart to work, you think he has any idea about machining parts? Sure, the CNC runs, but how do you QC something if you don't even know what you are building :) A buddy of mine bought a marlin tranny and then met him at king of the hammers only to have a 30 min discussion on how he remembers building that exact tranny a few weeks before.

Excuse the sarcasm

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 03:00:53 AM by Seeds »

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2011, 02:43:02 AM »
 Sounds like your heading in the right direction. I'd say go for 35's but I think the 33x10.50's are going to give it a good look.

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:03:56 AM »
Sounds like your heading in the right direction. I'd say go for 35's but I think the 33x10.50's are going to give it a good look.

when I cycle the suspension I am going to do it with 35's just in case I got spoiled with my 35's now. i like the 33 10.5's. They run so good with 4.88's. But maybe the 3rz will help pick up where my 22re lacks.