Author Topic: front hanger drop  (Read 1201 times)

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
front hanger drop
« on: Sep 18, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »
i have  a 85 xcab with rears up front (some lift spring leafs added). total 3 to 4 inches lift. with factory front hangers and boomerang shackles. I had to turn down my factory front spring pins in order to fit into the spring bushing steel sleeve from the rear spring.. i dont know if this is how everyone does it but it seamed to be the best way. (it was expensive because the pin was hardened and i had to have it annealed and then re hardened after turning it down).
i also had to use 2 degree pinion shim to keep my steering angle as close to stock.

i have been driving it for 2 years now and it has served me well. the tierod and draglink does bind a little on the spring at full lock on flat ground but not when stuffing a tire surprisingly. 
so now that you understand my setup, i want to get rid of the shims and add a front spring hanger. can i use a common one from marlin or allpro and be able to use it with my ruf's my main concern is the spring bushing at the front hanger and the bolt size. i think they are 19mm and the rears are 18mm sleeve. i tried finding bushings to Fit my springs and a 18 mm pin but that was impossible. also will i get enough drop to cancel out the need for the pinon shim with the marlin or all pro? i did see but i forget where, a custom front hanger with a longer drop. it looked flimsy but I'm sure it can be beefed up.

thanks for the help. i did research this quite a bit but have not found anything usefull.

1980yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Re: front hanger drop
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
I used trail gears front hanger with my 80 rear leaves and had no problems with the bolts that were sent with the kit. I do not have any shims on my axle but I have dual cases. If you have a single case you may still want to run them, just depends on how bad the angle is.

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Re: front hanger drop
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
thanks. the rear springs from a 80 are already 18mm. the bushings from the 85 rear springs are 19mm without the steel insert. i should have used the early springs in the first place, maybe ill have to find a pair when i get the drop hanger. anyone have a set?