Author Topic: ruf w/o drop hanger flat or drop pitman  (Read 2100 times)

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
ruf w/o drop hanger flat or drop pitman
« on: Jun 06, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
i know this is a tired subject and i have read through a bunch of threads but i cant seem to answer this question. know i will have to setup my bumpstops perfect to protect my oil pan and all that. but my question is with a flat pitman it seems you can get the box forward without cutting the rad support because on the box not being angled but your steering shaft angle is high? with a drop pitman you have to angle the box a lot to achieve the same clearance to the springs but in order to get it forward you have to go into the rad support but the steering shaft isnt really at an angle? does it really matter with the steering shaft angle?

this is the last thing i need to figure out for my hysteer setup. im only trying to clear 35's so i dont feel a drop hanger is needed and my w56 with square driveshaft with sincle u joint on both ends should take care on the pinion angle. thanks for any help.
81 swb 22re 35's

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
Re: ruf w/o drop hanger flat or drop pitman
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
Well I don't see any advantages to not running the drop hanger other then saving a few bucks. I do see alot of issues in not using it though. The steering is one issue but I'm sure you can make it work. What I would worry about is the fact that the rear springs are longer the the stock fronts so I think your pinion angle is gonna be nuts! The axle will be closer to the t case and the diff. will be pointing straight back (I think). Are you going to move the rear front spring mounts? What about shackles?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Well I don't see any advantages to not running the drop hanger other then saving a few bucks. I do see alot of issues in not using it though. The steering is one issue but I'm sure you can make it work. What I would worry about is the fact that the rear springs are longer the the stock fronts so I think your pinion angle is gonna be nuts! The axle will be closer to the t case and the diff. will be pointing straight back (I think). Are you going to move the rear front spring mounts? What about shackles?
RUF moves the axle forward 2" regardless of having a new hanger or not :shake:
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
 :outtahere: my bad for some reason I was thinking the opposit. I stand corrected  :bowdown:

81yotalove [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
well i'll be running boomerang shackles and making a square shaft with single u joint to fix pinion angle. plus my w56 is 5 inches longer than any of the first gen trannys so that will help too.

but what im asking is the steering shaft from the firewall to the steering box does it really matter what angle its at?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2010, 10:40:53 AM by 81yotalove »
81 swb 22re 35's