Author Topic: Dealing with disprecspectful roommates?  (Read 5671 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Dealing with disprecspectful roommates?
« on: Jul 18, 2011, 12:09:08 AM »
We've all been there, so how've you dealt with them?  I have 2 in particular who're in their own little pot-fueled world, who believe everything revolves around them.  They've agreed that 11pm is a decent time to turn their televisions down, but will get stoned and pass out with the volume up, then on the off chance I'm able to bang hard enough on their doors to wake them up they'll get pissed at me.  Not sure if you've tried it, but sleeping with headphones on is a pregnant dog!

That brings up the issue of pot smoking.  It doesn't matter to me that they do it, but they've been provided an area away from the house to smoke.  Despite this, they'll still sometimes smoke next to the house - outside my window - and have informed me I need to shut my window if I don't want my room to smell like pot.  flopp that.

I'm honestly very reserved in how I deal with them and keep as much to myself as possible since I work with one of them, but the situation is made worse by the other not working at all and seemingly having no understanding of others needing a quiet house so they can get enough sleep for their jobs.  I do my damndest to be respectful of everybody there and am even accused of being too quiet.

Other roommates have issues with the smoking but are secluded enough that the noise never gets to them, so I may have their backing on enforcing that issue but not on the noise.  I just don't want it to get to a point where it becomes an issue, but I just feel like wringing some damn immature punk necks sometimes!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with disprecspectful roommates?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
I would have whoooooooooped their ass.  You are paying rent just as they are, but if you respect them with their personal space, they need to respect yours.  You gave them a nice warning once, that is enough.  Why do you need to close your window for them to smoke?  You are being too nice.  I used to be like that, but people took advantage of my kindness, then I finally had enough.  On top of that, they are too lazy to go out and look for a job.  How do they pay rent?

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »
I once had a roommate like that, except once he lost his job, he stopped paying rent.  Guess I should note that he lost his stripper girlfriend too, who was apparently paying his rent for him.  After several months of hearing how he was about to get back on his feet, he was asked to please move out.  After a few more months and he was still there, the other roommates and I started the legal process of eviction.  Wouldn't you know it, the SOB called the judge 10 minutes before the court date and said he couldn't make it, because he "had something in his eye".  Thankfully the judge was non-sympathetic and ruled summarily in our favor.  Two weeks later, this huge man-beast of a police deputy showed up and the SOB's crap was on the street.  One of my favorite days.

Anyway, I don't know the eviction laws for your state/situation, but in general, if they're not paying rent, you can go through the process and have them kicked to the curb. :kickbutt:
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2011, 08:55:47 AM »
Dunno, Is it your house? Or someone else you all rent through? I believe in live and let live, so I dunno how this one goes. Yeah you could close your window, and yeah they could have some respect and smoke elsewhere. Yeah you could wear ear plugs, and yeah they could have respect and turn their tvs off or down late at night. Is the pot smoke realy that big of a deal, and im not just saying this cause I smoke. I can totally understand the sleep thing, esp if one of the bums dont work at all. Are said stoners your age, or much younger?  prob younger. If so, good luck tellin em anything. Id say deal with it, kick some ass, or move out, dont plan on them changing anytime soon.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
Short of going Manson on them...move. Move to another state...get out while you can! Save yourself!!!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
Short of going Manson on them...move. Move to another state...get out while you can! Save yourself!!!

Yea this would be my advise as well, if your renting then just move out. Might be the easiest solution.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
ok, i have some firsthand experience...... 5 months in a 6x18 box with 3 other room mates while on deployment..... it sucks.... but you cope, or you put the smackdown...... a lot of people don't realize they are being disrespectful. now if they do, and refuse to do anything about it, then you need to lay the law.... it might be easier to move out, but also finding somewhere better might be hard as well.....

let them know that you will inform the landlord, if the landlord refuses to get involved, inform them you are going to the cops..... see how quickly things change.... sure... you might think you are being a snitch, but it is at the cost of your sanity/sleep... which isn't cool....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
jimbo74 is on the right track.  Smoking pot is illegal so I'd suggest to your roomates that if they don't shape up you may be forced to add bail to their monthly expenses.  If their rent doesn't directly impact your finances you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Quid pro quo, doctor.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
  Smoking pot is illegal

In California?

I thought it was "decriminalized" under a certain amount and if you could pay the bribe you could get a medi-weed card.  :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
 :shake:

I think jimbo's solution has retaliation written all over it, that would just make things worse.  Clearly these "kids" have no self respect for other's around them that's pretty obvious. Getting the law involved might help one problem but will potentially create alot more.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »
next time they "pass out" tie them up and  :bumpinbutts:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »
Sorry bro, I know this sucks and gets irritating. I have lived in this situation a few times. I've tried everything from screwing with them to sitting down and having Pow-Wows. But the bottom line is people who don't really care, still don't care.

It sucks to move everything out, but that is the only long term solution to the problem I have found.
You'll never take me alive

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
I don't know if this is applicable but after trying to convey your thoughts and concerns, if they don't respond, maybe some buttered floors are in order.  :gap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEgM92_LGU
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
next time they "pass out" tie them up and  :bumpinbutts:

You know...you are just sooo practical. Erma Bombeck...no better yet, Martha Stewart has nothing on you. Well maybe a stylish, yet functional frock for working around the house...but, other than that, nothing!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I don't know if this is applicable but after trying to convey your thoughts and concerns, if they don't respond, maybe some buttered floors are in order.  :gap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEgM92_LGU

That is 100% amazing
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
That is 100% amazing

I would go Manson on ol' butter boy...there wouldn't be a second or third episode.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:33:21 PM »
put the smackdown...... at the point people are dissing on my mode of action.... it's whatever...... i don't let people walk on me... and i don't put up with people's crap.... are they going to go to the cops when you kick their ass for smoking pot right by your window?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:23:28 AM »
I vote Manson. I have seen plenty of these people and a simple  :moon: kicking wont be enough.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:06:22 AM »
an ass kicking is good enough...... you guys say go manson.... but are you really saying nate needs to kill these people, i think not... so the whole go manson, just sounds pretty, well..... i'm just going to shut up now..... fill in whatever word you want

~ John F. Kennedy ~

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
Change their pot stash to something else.......................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
Whos name is on the lease or rental agreement?  If it is yours then you are the king of the castle and the peasants need tossed...
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
It is, for the most part, a laid back place.  I work with 2 of them, the other is on disability and the other is the girlfriend of the older brother I work with.  The house actually belongs to the mom of the girl, who we pay rent to, and she was nice enough to provide them with the smoking area away from the house rather than tell them they can't smoke here, but if it becomes an issue they won't be able to smoke it here at all.

To answer the question "Is the pot smoke realy that big of a deal"; seriously?  It is a smell I can't stand, but that's not even the point.  My room is my one little bit of space that is only mine.  I should not ever be exposed to or forced to deal with the lingering stench of somebody else's habits.  Ever.  If I were to constantly fart outside their window, they'd pregnant dog and tell me to go somewhere else to fart.  Nobody would put up with that, period, despite it being much less of an issue.

As for moving, that's not really on the table at the time.  I pay pretty low rent, have a shop where I can store 2 of my motorcycles and work on my trucks if I need to, and am reasonably close to work.  It's really a pretty decent deal, and would be great if I could just get a good damn night of sleep!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
I was asking because its just a smell, like some peoples stinky ass cologne, or a nasty girl, or me when im covered in gear oil, or the smell of rubber from tires. Some people i guess are more sensitive to things than others. I live by orchards that get blasted by planes, and it stinks almost bad enough to where you cant breathe, I accept it. But I understand if they ar just blatantly doing it right outside your window after you have asked. I was simply asking if its a big enough deal to get mad about, which I guess was a stupid qusetion because you already on here posting about it. Kick some ass, or tell mommy who rents the house looks like your options at this point, you said you already tried talking to them.

Sorry nate
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
sounds like you've weigh'd your options and made your decision.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
Don't think I'm coming down on you, just seems to be a different mindset.  As I type this I have my window open to let in some cool air and there's a neighborhood skunk nearby.  It stinks, but it's nature and a smell that I can do nothing about.  It's bad enough that they both often leave open their bedroom doors and make the whole house smell like pot, but that's something that'll be squashed by the female roommate if it gets bad enough.
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
Roommates suck. Im dealing with similar crap right now with a roommate who hasnt yet realized after 8mos that his mom isnt here to clean up all his crap. I cant wait for lease to be up and be out of here.

But at least for the TV go buy a cheap remote and program it to his TV, you can shut it off whenever you want from outside and probably get a few laughs messing with him too.

Dealing with other people smoking pot sucks... I also hate the smell and Id be pissed if I had to deal with it all the time, Id say something to the girl in the house and get her on your side so they at lesat smoke away from the house... otherwise good luck
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:12:49 PM »
Turn the sprinklers on them...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 21, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
Turn the sprinklers on them...........

She was gonna do that yesterday  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 21, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
O.K.  Maybe I was a little harsh.  Don't whoop their ass.  Tie them to your truck and drag them out to Kerman, and dump their remains there.  Then drop your pants and pee on them.  Maybe even drop a load on them.  Leave them there for the flies to eat them afterwards. :bash:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 21, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
O.K.  Maybe I was a little harsh.  Don't whoop their ass.  Tie them to your truck and drag them out to Kerman, and dump their remains there.  Then drop your pants and pee on them.  Maybe even drop a load on them.  Leave them there for the flies to eat them afterwards. :bash:

Yeah...it's good that you can moderate your position.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)