Author Topic: TPS adjustment  (Read 3151 times)

sacsogv

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
TPS adjustment
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Okay, I did a search and cant find a solution. I have a 1985 4runner, 22re, stock, atuo. I am also new to Toyotas. I am just wondering how to properly adjust the TPS? I have a feeling it is messing with my timing.

Any help would be great!
Gregg

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Re: TPS adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
Ive just went thru a tps trouble shooting.  What makes you think its your tps ?  Explain the symptoms and maybe I can get u on the right track.
Heres a link to tps adjustment.   http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

sacsogv [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
Well I think it has something to do with the TPS because when timing the mark jumps all around , and wont stay on the 5dbtdc mark. I also can turn the idle screw as low as it will go and the idle wont go down till the motor gets warm. Again, I am a retard when it comes to the 22re :sad2:!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gregg

Wenhar

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -38
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
Well I think it has something to do with the TPS because when timing the mark jumps all around , and wont stay on the 5dbtdc mark. I also can turn the idle screw as low as it will go and the idle wont go down till the motor gets warm. Again, I am a retard when it comes to the 22re :sad2:!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gregg

It may just be me but when it comes to these Toyota/s when you set the timing to where it is supposed to be It runs like crap,
I just turn the dist till you have a happy medium of idle speed, no pinging and just running decent and toss the timing light back in the tool box,

Now I dont work on these Toyota all the time but ran into more than once, set it up where its supposed to be, Idles up and down, pings, all sorts of wierd stuff, so bag the jumper wire, timing light and put it to where the thing runs good ???

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
here we go again with wenhars boneafied greasemonkey redneck engineering tips dont listen to him
the only problem adjusting the tps on a 22re i have found is getting to the lower screw with the thermostat housing on so when i adjusted mine i removed the housing loosened the bottom screw on the tps put housing back on adjust till it runs right then when it is set where you want it and the top screw tightened remove housing again and tighten bottom screw :thumbs:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »
If your tps was never removed then its more then likely bad.  Once they are adjusted once they dont go out of adjustment. 
It does sound like a bad tps to me.  There is 2 main parts which can cause the timing to jump around.  1 the tps and other is the MAF.  More then likely your tps is bad.
Follow the testing procedure from the site I linked you.  It will tell you if your tps is bad or not.
If do adjust it,  its easier to do it with the throttle body off the engine.

sacsogv [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Cool... thanks for all the info guys! :beerchug: I think I will just trash this one and buy a new one. I would adjust it but I have a hard time understanding all the readings in the volt meter. I am not used to having to do the diagnostic this way. Oh well, I guess I will just get it did :gap:!

sacsogv [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
got it... thanks guys!!!!!

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club