Author Topic: TPS adjustment  (Read 15580 times)

jsrusse11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
TPS adjustment
« on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:40:07 AM »
i have been having problems with my idle sticking and varying sometimes. so i thought it might be my throttle positioning sensor. so i did the test posted on http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml everything seems to work out fine except for at open throttle between VTA-E2 my readings only go up to about 4.0 Kohms then the ohm meter goes to OL. and the site says it should be between 3.3K-10K. i readjusted the TPS going by what they said and everything else seems good but no the throttle still sticks worse and the idle still varies worse. am i doing something wrong or is my TPS just bad. i didn't want to crack it open yet to check unless i was sure it might be bad.

88 toyota pickup 22re

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8282
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: TPS adjustment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2004, 01:07:01 AM »
Make sure your idle is set under 900 rpm, a higher idle will cause the variation in the idle up & down you are talking about. We recently discussed in another thread sticking idle caused by a worn throttle plate (butterfly) shaft on high mileage trucks. Mine is this way. When it sticks open slightly it will idle above 900 rpm & lope up & down.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

jsrusse11 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:03:05 AM »
my throttle only sticks when the engine it running.  so i''m thinking it might be the extra pressure on it running that makes it sticks.  i also have no tach is there a cheap way to put one in so i can adjust my idle corretly.  it also got a litte worse after messing with the TPS so i think i need to try adjusting that again.

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8282
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »
The TPS is very touchy, tiny adjustments will change the setting. mine changes after I tighten it down after adjustment. I also doubled up the return spring ( had an extra laying around) which seemed to help mine as it is worn. You can use a cheap aftermarket tach.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2004, 12:26:08 AM »
You know it's extremely difficult to determine if a TPS sensor is good or bad with a simple multi meter. You really need a graphic or data plotting device so you can see the curve in real time.

I've had sensors that seem to have the "dead spot" like you are describing, but then on the graph they have a smooth curve with no drops in the slope at all..

Do you have any other information you can add about your sticking symptom please?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jsrusse11 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
it just sticks when i come to a stop.  i'm think it is something internal like the butterfly or something like that.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2004, 08:24:40 PM »
Well if the pedal sticks or is hard to press after a while, you might want to check the small 6mm or 8mm adjustment "stops" for the throttle plate. This is the stop that actually stops the throttle plate. Move the throttle by hand and look around for what is actually stopping it when you close the throttle. This can be adjusted and if it is set to far back, then the throttle plate would get wedged in the throttle body and it would take some added force to crack it open again..

You want it to close completely, but it needs to have a smooth and free opening when you open it back up.

Try this: With the engine off, pull the throttle all the way open (WOT) with your hand and then let it snap back closed as hard as possible. Then try to open it up again. If you have to nudge it or give it more force than say if you were to open it and gently close it by hand, then the stop screw needs to be moved closer to the stop on the throttle plate arm.

BigMike

jsrusse11 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:09:06 PM »
with the engine off it does not stick at all.  only while running. and it the pedal is not stiff.  it is something in the throttle body.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2004, 11:21:08 PM »
wow that's really strange.... hmmmm :headscratch:

Does it do it when it's cold? :idea:

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:03:25 PM »
Mine does it too. Its just wear inthe shaft from the spring pulling on it for 200k. When mine does it I can go and wiggle the throttle arm and get it to stop. I oiled the shaft with some light machine oil. Helps for a while but comes back. I will probably have a machine shop put in some bronze bushings to fix it.

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:23:37 PM »
read this

Test                Clearance between
                      lever and stop screw               Between terminals                  Resistance /                      Resistance /
                                                                                                             '85*-'88 (ohms)                 89*-'95 (ohms)
1.          0.00mm (0.000")                      VTA - E2                           200-800                          470-6100
2.          0.57mm (0.0224")                     IDL - E2                            < 2.3k                             < 2.3K
3.          0.85mm (0.0335")                     IDL - E2                             Open / Infinite                 Open / Infinite
4.          Wide Open Throttle                   VTA - E2                           3.3K-10K                         3.1K - 12.1 K
5.          n / a                                         Vcc - E2                            3.0K - 7.0K                      3.9K - 9.0K

Table 1: 22RE (2.4L-4 cyl) - TPS Adjustment Specifications

In the above tests, you are actually simulating various throttle positions and rotating the TPS on its base to achieve all the above conditions.
•   Test #1 simulates the closed throttle position, with the throttle valve fully closed and the throttle stop lever in contact with the throttle stop screw
•   Test #2 and #3 test the transition from idle to normal operation
o   Note that the exact feeler gauge values are not terribly important, use the closest gauge you have to the value, or stack two thinner gauges to make one the right thickness. Its unlikely you'll be able to adjust the TPS by hand to 0.001" anyway.
•   Test #4 tests the wide open throttle (WOT) setting.
•   Test #5 just measures the entire resistance of the outer-most current track seen in Figure 2
On my TPS, I measured a value of 500 ohms for #1 and 5000 ohms for #4 and the other values within spec. By setting the #1 resistance to roughly the middle of the range, the rest of the settings were dead on. One final test, not listed in the FSM, would be to run the TPS shaft from idle to WOT and watch the VTA-E2 resistance and make sure it increases monotonically, no drop outs or dead spots. If you observe abrupt resistance changes, the TPS could have a burned area on one of the current tracks. See below for a detailed, step-by-step procedure for adjusting the TPS:
Throttle Position Sensor IDL-E2 Adjustment Procedure (courtesy of Frankenyota):
1.   Loosen both screws attaching TPS to throttle body.
2.   Attach multimeter to TPS terminals IDL and E2 (the bottom two terminals on the TPS). You can use alligator clips to make this easier or use small ¼” lengths of vacuum hose to hold them on
3.   Insert 0.85mm (22RE) or 0.77mm (3VZE) feeler gauge between throttle stop screw and throttle plate (see picture)
4.   Move TPS body CW/CCW until ohms reading on multimeter is infinite (open)
5.   Move the TPS body very slowly CCW until you find the end of the resistive strip, the meter will indicate <2.3Kohms of resistance
6.   Move the TPS body extremely slowly in the CW direction until the meter goes to open/infinite again
7.   Tighten the top TPS screw being very careful not to disturb the adjustment
8.   Remove the feeler gauge and insert a 0.57mm (22RE) or 0.50mm (3VZE) feeler gauge
9.   The meter should (hopefully) indicate between 0 and 2.3Kohms of resistance, if it does tighten the bottom screw and reconnect the electrical connector, if not go back to step 4 and try again
10.   To check whether the adjustment was successful start the engine and insert the timing test jumper, if the idle speed decreases audibly it is working normally.
While the above tests performed at the TPS itself do verify that the sensor itself it functioing, it does not test the continuity of the wiring in the harness that ultimately connects the TPS signals to the ECU. If TPS problems are suspected and the TPS itself checks out fine, then repeat the above tests at the ECU connector pins to verify they are reaching the ECU properly
Symptoms of a bad or mis-adjusted TPS include:
•   Varying idle speed
•   Hesitation while accelerating
•   Poor fuel economy
•   Inability to correctly set base ignition timing
o   I.e. you jumper the timing check connector and the idle and timing don't change
Seemingly unrelated systems can also be affected by a malfunctioning TPS, including Electronically Controlled Transmissions (ECT). Problems can include poor shifting and hunting between gears due to the engine computer seeing apparent throttle position changes coming from a flaky TPS. Since it is the TPS that tells the engine's ECU that you are idle, if that setting is off, setting timing can be difficult, since insertion of the timing check jumper won't have any affect on the engine.
So, how does a TPS fail? Most likely one of two things will cause a TPS to fail. If you look inside one, you'll see it basically consists of a printed circuit board with a combination of conductive and resistive strips in a circular pattern, over which wiper contacts slide. This serves to generate the various reistance readings at varying throttle positions. The usual failure is for what used to be a low resistance to become an open connection (i.e. infinite resistance or ohms on a meter).
Upon visual investigation, its usually the case that the contact area on the PC board is burnt or dirty, leading to the open circuit reading. Putting too high a current through the TPS circuit (possibly due to a short circuit in the engine wiring harness) could lead to contact burning, but more likely is that a foreign substance entered the TPS and initiated the problem. A common cause of this is using throttle body cleaner in the throttle body without removing the TPS. The cleaner can wick into the TPS via the actuator that rotates the TPS. The cleaner can attach the PC board and components and cause it to fail. If cleaning the throttle body, be sure to remove the TPS, and also try to avoid getting engine cleaner and water on the TPS, its not totally sealed.
When re-installing the TPS, one handy tip is to replace the stock screws with allen head screws, the you can use a ball-headed wrench to access the screws while the throttle body is in place. Another tip for removing the throttle body is that if you keep the radiator cap on and use a bolt to plug the coolant hose that connect to it, there is no need to drain the cooling system as the Factory Service Manual recommends. You may lose a few ounces of coolant, but its no big deal.
[Back to the top]

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2004, 08:41:08 PM by Mike D »
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much