Author Topic: Top Gear America..... 4wd edition  (Read 8332 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Top Gear America..... 4wd edition
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
only it wasnt a tacoma it was a 3rd gen xtra cab with a v6  so its technically a "hilux" even though we never called them that over here

I didn't get a great look at it, so the Tacoma name is essentially for the 4th generation trucks?  Were they ever officially badged as a Hilux in the US?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
no they were merely called the pickup
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
no they were merely called the pickup

Not entirely true, they sold 2wd trucks here as the Hilux.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
Not entirely true, they sold 2wd trucks here as the Hilux.

err yes true but that was really only the early years iirc
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »
err yes true but that was really only the early years iirc

Yeah, we never got the real Hilux, just a few years of 2wds with the badge.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
anyone know what the car is... in around 4th or 5th place on the fast lap times with the really long name?

or is that all the car's that have tied?

BBC Top Gear of course.

i missed the gumpert lap time, wish I could have seen that.... the new Veyron super car currently has the fastest time!  it beat the apollo gumpert.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »
Swedish supercar Koenigsegg CCX?
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer

Runar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Apr '09
  • from Reykjavik Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »
Have whatched all the BBC shows and I also like the Austraila and the US version.  US version actually one of the best entertainment shows I've seen from the US, its even better than Fox News  :) ....
Hilux double cab diesel tdi 1995.  44" Fun Countries, custom coil suspension, streched wheelbase, air operated el-lockers front and rear with 5.29 yukons, MC07 crawler with 2.28 + 4.7 ratios, Hella Luminator Xenon, VHF, NMT, DVD, GPS, laptop and a Recaro child seat for the codriver

BlueTaco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Female Posts: 43
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Girl Wheelers FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
I liked the episode and the idea behind it. I agree with the rest that it was kinda sad that the Toyota was the shameful vehicle...even though they darn well knew that it was the only vehicle that could actually make it without trouble. rofl

I'm kinda surprised though that nobody has mentioned yet though, unless I missed it with my skimming...but I'm pretty ticked and ashamed that they ripped and tore up the Alaskan terrain so badly. I feel that this just adds more fuel to the fire and gives people more evidence and reasons to close trails down.  From what I recall they referred to all this as "four wheeling" even though this is obviously not the proper way to go about it.

Wish they didn't air this episode purely for that...gives alot of people the wrong ideas. 

Runar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
  • from Reykjavik Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
In the Alaska episode they where driving on trails the whole time, so nothing wrong there.  During the Raptor testing however, it looked like they where just driving wherever and over whatever (loved that Raptor thingy, never thought one could get such a well working and  responsive suspension from leafs...)
Hilux double cab diesel tdi 1995.  44" Fun Countries, custom coil suspension, streched wheelbase, air operated el-lockers front and rear with 5.29 yukons, MC07 crawler with 2.28 + 4.7 ratios, Hella Luminator Xenon, VHF, NMT, DVD, GPS, laptop and a Recaro child seat for the codriver

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
i was thinking the same thing about tread lightly lol...... but it did seem they were on a trail "most" of the time, and even when there was "no trail" at the glacier he seemed to back down what looked like a road lol....

And ta tell yea the truth, alot of the videos i see of 4wds in alaska shows them in the rivers, tearing up brush, etc etc etc... that doesnt mean that its ok to do, but it may not be illegal up there to do what they did on the show...
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Runar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
  • from Reykjavik Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
Yeah, we never got the real Hilux, just a few years of 2wds with the badge.
  You lads got whole 3 generations of it (just not with the badge).  My first Hilux ('84 model) was actually imported to Iceland from the US, or Canada, because Europe didn't get them with the turbo diesel engine.   That was actually done by the local dealer..!  As to being on or off the trail, then remember that its often hard to see that on a picture.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
  You lads got whole 3 generations of it (just not with the badge).  My first Hilux ('84 model) was actually imported to Iceland from the US, or Canada, because Europe didn't get them with the turbo diesel engine.   That was actually done by the local dealer..!  As to being on or off the trail, then remember that its often hard to see that on a picture.

What I meant is most of the rest of the world got solid axles for many more years than we did, and we never got any diesels besides one pitiful one in the mid 80s. Its hard to get accurate info about what countries got what Toyotas. A Hilux to most of us is a 4 door pick up, solid axle F&R, and a diesel engine. All the things we never got except for the SA from 79-85.