Author Topic: Welders, lets see your machines, and your stats.  (Read 15814 times)

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Welders, lets see your machines, and your stats.
« on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
With all this talk lately of Certs, machines, and books.  Tell us where you started welding?  Your certs, not just stick, mig, tig, but actual process (cause they all have different certs) ?  The machines you use ?  

Even if welding is a hobby, lets see your stuff, and what your using.

I started welding in the ski industry, and went to amusement rides (mainly coasters), I currently am a senior mechanic in the amusement industry, and mainly do repair work.  

For Tig and Stick I use this for bench work.

For Mig, we just got this guy, cause the ESAB machine blew up.  Its loaded with 71T now, but we run stainless and mild steel all the time.

I also use a Thermo Dynamics, portable gas engine unit for stick and aluminum wire.

I have an SP125 at home.

Certs are:  up to 1-1/2"  FCAW (OuterShield, DualShield, and inner) in all positions.  7018 stick all positions up to 3/4". GMAW mild steel up to 3/4" in all positions (worthless).  Tig, oh yeah I built the box, Stainless.  I am not certified in aluminum but can Tig the hell out of it.

Just calm conversation about welding ! :_order:
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010, 05:53:02 PM by 4runnerchevy »

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
I was osha cetrified, and OAW certified when I was 16. I took 1 year at a military style school with professional teachers, 2 of them. Made us do tons of book crap before they made us start on OAW. Took me around 3 months to master OAW, and be certified, I was in process of GMAW, but ended up leaving the school. I then took 6 months in highschool, but they wanted to start all over again with the books, a whole year, and i coudlnt do it. Now I own my own hobart 210, soon to be miller machine. i read alot, have books on it, and try and make a better weld everytime I do it. Ive done oaw, gmaw, fcaw, smaw, but have not done tig yet myself. I am pretty good at the other 4 tho. No pics of my welder

osha saftey certified that is, along with cpr and first aid, also certifed in auto cad, its outdated now, and basic drafting, altho i can draft like a sumbitch
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010, 06:01:17 PM by Sparkplug »
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
I was osha cetrified, and OAW certified when I was 16. I took 1 year at a military style school with professional teachers, 2 of them. Made us do tons of book crap before they made us start on OAW. Took me around 3 months to master OAW, and be certified, I was in process of GMAW, but ended up leaving the school. I then took 6 months in highschool, but they wanted to start all over again with the books, a whole year, and i coudlnt do it. Now I own my own hobart 210, soon to be miller machine. i read alot, have books on it, and try and make a better weld everytime I do it. Ive done oaw, gmaw, fcaw, smaw, but have not done tig yet myself. I am pretty good at the other 4 tho. No pics of my welder

Nice, you don't have to cert to weld. There are so many awesome welders on this site. 

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Well lets see, did a little welding in high school. Then got my mig at the house played around a bit. Went to college got a 2 year degree with honors.
I have a gmaw all position 3/4 max d1.1, fcaw all position 3/4 d1.1,smaw unlimited 3g d1.5, fcaw 3g unlimited, submerged arc welding 1 g unlimited d.15.

So mostly in the big work I worked at for a while I used a lot of 300 amp wire feeds, doing bridge stuff, dam stuff, railings and whatever else they had. Then I would run the submerged arc welder, that was a 1000 amp welder. I would do tig welding when needed too. Stainless, mild, aluminum.

Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
With all this talk lately of Certs, machines, and books.  Tell us where you started welding?  Your certs, not just stick, mig, tig, but actual process (cause they all have different certs) ?  The machines you use ? 

Even if welding is a hobby, lets see your stuff, and what your using.

I started welding in the ski industry, and went to amusement rides (mainly coasters), I currently am a senior mechanic in the amusement industry, and mainly do repair work. 

For Tig and Stick I use this for bench work.

For Mig, we just got this guy, cause the ESAB machine blew up.  Its loaded with 71T now, but we run stainless and mild steel all the time.

I also use a Thermo Dynamics, portable gas engine unit for stick and aluminum wire.

I have an SP125 at home.

Certs are:  up to 1-1/2"  FCAW (OuterShield, DualShield, and inner) in all positions.  7018 stick all positions up to 3/4". GMAW mild steel up to 3/4" in all positions (worthless).  Tig, oh yeah I built the box, Stainless.  I am not certified in aluminum but can Tig the hell out of it.

Just calm conversation about welding ! :_order:

I use both Dualshield for mild steel and hardfacing and Mig for stainless at work, and Innershield at home. Began years ago with smaw for work. I am not familiar with Outershield though and couldn't find much on line. Can you explain it a little about the process and application/uses?
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
You need a cert to weld?   

:dunno:

Guess I can't weld anymore....

:yupyup:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
You need a cert to weld?   

That's what it's called when I stick two pieces of metal together?!   news to me......
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
You need a cert to weld?    

Funny, but that wasn't implied or said, but exactly the opposite.  Anyone can weld, lets just see what your using ?

Outershield is a trade name just like Dual shield.  They are both 71T.   Outershield is Lincoln, and Dual Shield is ESAB.

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
Ah, I see. Thanks.
I should know that.
22re Daily Driver
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
When it works, I use a hobart handler 135.  No certs.  Got my start arc welding houseboat cletes on docks, did some hand rail repairs here and there, then picked up a mig and welded a bunch of cross beams into boat bilges for mounting generators.  Don't really do any welding on my own, and you don't want to see my welds either  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
When it works, I use a hobart handler 135.  No certs.  Got my start arc welding houseboat cletes on docks, did some hand rail repairs here and there, then picked up a mig and welded a bunch of cross beams into boat bilges for mounting generators.  Don't really do any welding on my own, and you don't want to see my welds either  :ack:
Is that a 110 machine ?  Its not about certs, just what you do, your experience, and what your using.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yup, 110.  Had gun issues since I bought it, but it's working now.  My new roommate will probably end up using it more than me after I move in with him.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I have an HTP 160dv...although I am certifiable, I have no certification. I couldn't find a cert for booger welding...at which, apparently, I excel! :(
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Nice   :ha_ha:

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Started messing around with my friend's dad's welder in highschool. Just on scrap stuff. I picked up a lincoln 140 a couple months ago. Just started using it a few weeks ago with flux core wire. However yesterday a friend brought over his 75/25 bottle and we switched my wire out. Now going to buy my own bottle tomorrow so i can start welding things to my frame like spring hangers and armor. Wish me luck lol. Sorry i don't know all the welding lingo.
81 swb 22re 35's

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Started messing around with my friend's dad's welder in highschool. Just on scrap stuff. I picked up a lincoln 140 a couple months ago. Just started using it a few weeks ago with flux core wire. However yesterday a friend brought over his 75/25 bottle and we switched my wire out. Now going to buy my own bottle tomorrow so i can start welding things to my frame like spring hangers and armor. Wish me luck lol. Sorry i don't know all the welding lingo.

You will get a hotter and deeper weld with the flux, but the Lincoln 110 machines make a really nice 3/16 hard wire weld, with 75/25 and no cleanup.  Preheat the steel and get the penetration.

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
To those who are certified, is that L.A. certified? Just curious.
22re Daily Driver

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
You will get a hotter and deeper weld with the flux, but the Lincoln 110 machines make a really nice 3/16 hard wire weld, with 75/25 and no cleanup.  Preheat the steel and get the penetration.

i'll post up a picture of the weld he did with my welder and his bottle while he was over. looks like it got good penetration. the welder was on its highest heat settings. also what do you mean by preheat the metal?
81 swb 22re 35's

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Use a torch and heat the metal before welding. Since welding is heat into the metal to get it to melt, by preheating you start with it hot and it will penetrate more.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
own a lincoln 250 ac/dc+/- arc welder that i was pretty good with, havent gotten to build anything in over a year now so i'm definetly out of practice. normally use a 6011 rod and have only welded steel. done some mig welding with a few different machines and played around with some oxy/act welding but not good with that lol
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Time for me to start practicing and find an inexpensive used 110 wire feeder that can do flux and a bottle.  Don't need a high duty cycle, otherwise I have no clues.  lol.
I like to Drive!

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
this is the jumper cable special i put together on the trail. :disturbed
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
Got a trusty little Miller 135, gas: 75/25, .032" wire, fresh liner, learned to weld in college when I conquered the auto collision repair degree. Biggest stuff I've welded was probably 1/4" for a steering box brace or something; usually it's 3/16" or thinner... also lots of sheet metal and exhaust piping.

I've tried TIG but I'm not coordinated enough... too much to think about: pedal, filler rod, tungsten, puddle action... ugh.

>>Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile

Here is a decent duelshield weld.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
Asme/AWS 6g 6010/7018 sch80
Asme/AWS 6g gmaw sch40
5g stainless fusion
FCAW all positsion up to 1 1/2"

High school welding and butte college welding program 08'
Can't find work. I'm doing the job I had before I went to effin school.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

muddywaters

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Jan '08
  • back to basics
    • View Profile
just bought a used snap-on muscle mig mm140sl for a pretty good deal.  came with most the attachments and aluminum spool.  welded a little in the past but wanted to become more self sufficient.  i hate always waiting on a buddy to come do my welding for me.  you can only be in this hobby for so long, until you have to start learning to do things yourself.

my first gen was put together with a hobart handler 185. awesome little welder.
Im like Hugh Hefner minus everything good about his life.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No certs .   Bought the millermatic 200 over 20 years ago with spoolmatic gun . Miller bobcat 250 for mobile welding and 10 K Generator.  Miller syncrowave 200.  Lincoln 3200 hd with co2 argon and tri mix for stainless . and thermal dynamics cutmaster 52 .   Fun stuff for hobby welding projects.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
I have ceres and no machine. This is gay
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Can somebody tell me what a "suitcase" welder means? :dunno:
I like to Drive!

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club