Poll

Are you interested in an FJ40 Link Kit, similar to my Mini Truck stuff.

Yes
No

Author Topic: FJ40 Link Kits/ Do Cruiser guys want them or not!?  (Read 12324 times)

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
FJ40 Link Kits/ Do Cruiser guys want them or not!?
« on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »
So I've had a few requests for Cruiser Link Kits. I've been sniffing around thinking about building one or two, but since Im not a Cruiser guy, I have to ask you all, wether or not this is something the cruiser crowd wants. So please if you have an opinion lets hear it.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010, 12:30:52 PM by TacoRunner »
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: FJ40 Link Kits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
that would be sweet. would love to have my cruiser linked f/r. not sure about what style would be best but 4 linked in the rear would be cool. maybe 3 linked pan hard style in the front.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: FJ40 Link Kits
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
I'm not a cruiser guy either (although I wouldn't mind owning one) but I've wondered if anyone has tried building a Watts link for a 4x4.  I've only seen them on slammed airbagged trucks.

Something like this:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/watts-link-animation_208544.htm
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2010, 08:50:34 PM by BUDDERS »
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

the dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
yes

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
You forgot to vote.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

canadian bum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
It's hard to say since 40's are getting to be so old and somewhat rare. Those who build them pretty much fab them up themselves. You would have to look at how many people would actually be interested in this. Since you would have different drivetrains to work around I think a kit would be kind of tough to develope. I could see a 3 link kit for a 80 series being more of a popular product than something for a 40. I'm linking my 40 and even if there was a kit I would still do my own link system just because of custom wheel base and so many factors that a kit couldn't address unless each kit was custom made to customer requests but then its not really a kit anymore.
78 FJ45 Now going to be 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/107069-fj-45-build-up-restoration.html
79 BJ40 Going to be a 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/266976-bj40-build-up-resto.html#post4143046
06 Taco DC Daily driver, Dana 44 HP front, pro comp rims and 345/75R16 BFG KM2, Rear ARB locker, and All-pro plate bumper. Crashed.... now building an 05 Taco on tons and 4.7 V8 swap.

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
You've got an interesting build going on with that 40, certainly no one that moves their axle forward 18" is using a kit. Thanks for you input.

canadian bum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Thanks, still have a long way to go obviously.
78 FJ45 Now going to be 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/107069-fj-45-build-up-restoration.html
79 BJ40 Going to be a 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/266976-bj40-build-up-resto.html#post4143046
06 Taco DC Daily driver, Dana 44 HP front, pro comp rims and 345/75R16 BFG KM2, Rear ARB locker, and All-pro plate bumper. Crashed.... now building an 05 Taco on tons and 4.7 V8 swap.

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
When your like me and time is valuable I would rather spend the money and buy a high quality kit then "try" to booty fab up some "link" suspension in my garage.

I would buy a kit from you. I like what you done with the mini truck kits. Could you build a kit that would be functional with the stock and aftermarket Engines/Transmissions? Wheel Base options? Coils, Coil Overs or Coil Overs with Cantilever for the rear? What are you thinking? I need answers..... :gap:

Check out the link in my sig..............................
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I'm not a cruiser guy either (although I wouldn't mind owning one) but I've wondered if anyone has tried building a Watts link for a 4x4.  I've only seen them on slammed airbagged trucks.

Something like this:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/watts-link-animation_208544.htm

what locates the axle front to rear?
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
When your like me and time is valuable I would rather spend the money and buy a high quality kit then "try" to booty fab up some "link" suspension in my garage.

I would buy a kit from you. I like what you done with the mini truck kits. Could you build a kit that would be functional with the stock and aftermarket Engines/Transmissions? Wheel Base options? Coils, Coil Overs or Coil Overs with Cantilever for the rear? What are you thinking? I need answers..... :gap:

Check out the link in my sig..............................

I like the sig,  its ***:pimp:*** Thank you very much.

All those things are serious considerations, I'd love to do something that will accept coils and not just Coil overs, but is usually hard to do and get good geometry on a lifted truck. As for cantilever stuff, from what I've heard back from those that have it, "its great in the beginning and then stuff wears out and it gets loose." So I wouldn't do that. One of my concerns is the steering box, what are people doing for this. I dont think many are staying stock, and its not like the Mini Trucks where everyone gets an IFS box. I ask this because if it's going to be streetable, then its got to have a panhard to go with the draglink, so 3 Link front for sure.  Since the frame rails are so close together on the Cruiser I'd really perfer to go 4link in the rear for fitment. Changing wheelbase with this would be easy to do on a Cruiser. I have no idea about motor options at the moment, that engine bay seems large. I'll let you know after I get done swaping in this 4.7.

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
what locates the axle front to rear?

The two lower links. The problem with a Watts style is there are more moving parts on it then a 4link, which equals more expense. Since links are expensive enough I will not be building one of those.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
I voted no on a pre-packaged kit. The tough part about building a pre-packaged kit is there can't be too many variables for the kit to work well. Center of gravity, drivetrain length, gas tank placement, and steering box used all vary greatly between FJ40s. Unlike mini trucks where most all trucks run dual cases, IFS boxes, have roughly the same lift, and utilize the factory gas tank.

40s are built in about any variation you can come up with. Theres motors from just about every car manufacturer in small block, big block, and even v-6 configurations. Transmissions vary from relatively light Toyota aluminum trans up to pretty heavy NV4500s and all kinds of autos. T-cases vary as much as well.

For steering boxes theres the standard GM car Saginaw box that end up towards the front of the frame horns. Then theres the FJ60, FJ80, Astro van, and Scout II forward swinging boxes that end up directly above the axle housing on the frame rail. A lot of 40s have the standard in cab gas tank but later model 40s had the tank under the tub right behind the t-case. And then theres the center of gravity which is all over the place on these things.

At any rate, if you can make a kit and make it work, more power to ya. My feeling on a vehicle that has so many variants any time they stray at all from stock form is that a link set-up has to be custom built for the specific vehicle.  :thumbs:
"between projects"

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
That was my concern too, thanks for explaining the "NO" vote. I will say this, while the engine and drive train part dont scare me, the gas tank and steering are a pitta. There is no way to do a one size fits all, but under certain criteria a kit could be do-able. I'll do one or two, and one will be reserved for Dave but I do need more info from him.

If anyone else has comments please post up, I'd like know what you think.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Sorry I wasn't referring to necessarily the weight of the drivetrain but also the dimensions. A small block with a 700R4 and dual cases is going to be really long while a factory setup, say 2F, H42, and split case will be relatively short. Just makes locating bracketry for a universal kit a bit tough.
"between projects"

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If a guy wanted to order up custom setup for his particular 40, what specific measurements would be nessesary? Also I imagine that weight on each quarter would have to be figured in to get the spring rates for the coils right..
Thanks, Mike
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
So we dont upset the natives.

Lets speak privately. PM me if you would.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 06:29:27 PM by TacoRunner »

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
So hows the link kit coming along?

To soon?
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Just a smidge.