Author Topic: Leaf Springs-I wanna see your rear flex and what you did to obtain it  (Read 15499 times)

dragr1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Currently not that pleased with my rear setup and looking at doing something different.  Swapping springs would be easy and nice, but I have also been thinking about a 4 link.  Currently I have-hold your breath might be bad words on this forum:

1985 4runner

Front-5" All pro springs-the old stock replacements that aren't offered anymore, 11" rancho's on stock shock towers, stock hangers, axle moved forward bt drilling u-bolt plate-flexes great, rides great, really happry with it

Rear-5" Trail gear complete kit with springs, moved hangers, 12" Bilsteins, it just doesn't seem to travel a lot, the front far out flexes the rear

Ideas?  What's your setup?  Suggestions?

This is getting close to max on the rear:

1985 4Runner, all the normal stuff

2007 Toyota Tacoma CC TRD 4x4

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

1991 Allegro (Ole Krusty) Motorhome

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Should also mention that this is a trail only rig, never driven on street.

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
might want to look in here tons of leaf sprung crazy flex rigs   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=8066.msg873816#new

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
might want to look in here tons of leaf sprung crazy flex rigs   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=8066.msg873816#new

Yeah, I've posted in there twice and have read it several times.

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
i like the cheveys with the dual shackle set but my shock limit how much they can do.... up just my   :twocents:
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Here's my best rear shot photo. and there is still plenty more to go. i went with the usual 63 inch rear chevs with 3 leafs and a 6" shackle. i currently have my overloads on to prevent axle wrap but i'm cutting them down here pretty soon. i have $23 pro comp 14" shocks in the rear triangulated.
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if the shocks are my limiting factor or not, but would triangulating them allow for more travel?  Maybe the springs are too stiff, remove a spring?

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
ya if you triangulate you get more travel out of each shock.  how long are your rear springs? maybe they are just too short. kinda hard to tell in the photo.
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7

GloNDark

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 282
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
Chevy 63"s all the way. Ride great, easy swap to do and flex like crazy. Here is mine right after re-working the spring packs, i think the flex better now after a few trips out, i'll get an update pic this weekend if I can. Front springs are some b*std RUF packs that i built to match.

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
^^^^^ awesome rig man. ya the 63s are nice and smooth for sure. i also have the RUF built to match the rear and i love them. you don't get much more flex and drop for your money!!
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rears are 56 5/8" long.

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

hotrod

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Id try pulling the shocks and seeing if thats whats limiting your flex, then go from there.

David
David - 83 SR5 longbed, 20/22r, locked f/r, w-56, 33 km2

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Id try pulling the shocks and seeing if thats whats limiting your flex, then go from there.

David

Dang, why didn't I think of that?

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

hotrod

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Sometimes another braincell is all thats needed. Two braincells are better than one!
David - 83 SR5 longbed, 20/22r, locked f/r, w-56, 33 km2

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

2wd f150 springs in the rear and RUF

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Currently not that pleased with my rear setup and looking at doing something different.  Swapping springs would be easy and nice, but I have also been thinking about a 4 link.  Currently I have-hold your breath might be bad words on this forum:

1985 4runner

Front-5" All pro springs-the old stock replacements that aren't offered anymore, 11" rancho's on stock shock towers, stock hangers, axle moved forward bt drilling u-bolt plate-flexes great, rides great, really happry with it

Rear-5" Trail gear complete kit with springs, moved hangers, 12" Bilsteins, it just doesn't seem to travel a lot, the front far out flexes the rear

Ideas?  What's your setup?  Suggestions?

This is getting close to max on the rear:

yep can tell you right now.. if you want better/more flex remount them shocks.. start there then we'll see what you may need to do with your springs
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
It definitely looks like your shocks are holding you back. I personally would change them to the triangular / \ mounting style. If you already have brand name leaf springs, might as well try and make them work before swapping them for something else.

I love my 63s, they are popular for a reason. Aside from length (not an issue on 4runners unless you bob it) I can't see any downside to them. Ride fantastic on and offroad, more than enough flex, and cheap. I put mine on about 5 years ago and I would do it to my next Toyota too. I actually had to do a lot of tweaking to get my front suspension to work how I wanted it, but aside from an add a leaf and really needing to put some bump stops in, I havn't touched my rear since I did it. I decided to use my $100 shocks as bumpstops for the last 5 years instead  :gap:

Heres how I would mount those shocks (Without the :stopit: boots of course).

I've since cut the fenders so the rear tire stuffs even further up into the fender well now.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It definitely looks like your shocks are holding you back. I personally would change them to the triangular / \ mounting style. If you already have brand name leaf springs, might as well try and make them work before swapping them for something else.

I love my 63s, they are popular for a reason. Aside from length (not an issue on 4runners unless you bob it) I can't see any downside to them. Ride fantastic on and offroad, more than enough flex, and cheap. I put mine on about 5 years ago and I would do it to my next Toyota too. I actually had to do a lot of tweaking to get my front suspension to work how I wanted it, but aside from an add a leaf and really needing to put some bump stops in, I havn't touched my rear since I did it. I decided to use my $100 shocks as bumpstops for the last 5 years instead  :gap:

Heres how I would mount those shocks (Without the :stopit: boots of course).

I've since cut the fenders so the rear tire stuffs even further up into the fender well now.

Now that's more like it!

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

PBrown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
I am having the same issues with shocks mounted in stock spots. Front works way better than the rear
91 reg cab sas, duals 4.7, 5.29s, detroits, 35s, bunch of marlin debt.

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I may try the budbuilt bolt on rear inboard shock kit and see if it works.  No welding and should fit around my exisiting shock mounts.  If that works, then I'll beef it up with some welding.

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Now that's more like it!

Whats crazy to me is my tire is still on the ground. It can droop even more than that.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

dragr1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Whats crazy to me is my tire is still on the ground. It can droop even more than that.

Mine would never do that, my rear will come off the ground with me ramping a 10psi 37" tire on another rig with my front tire.

I can't tell-are you running the double shackle setup?

2000 Suburban 2500 4x4

2002 Lexus IS300

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Mine would never do that, my rear will come off the ground with me ramping a 10psi 37" tire on another rig with my front tire.

I can't tell-are you running the double shackle setup?

Yup. Stock 4wd chevy shackle connected to a 6 inch "toyota" shackle. Run IFS bumpstops so it doesn't bang off the frame.

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
if you spend 20 at the steel yard you can get a nice piece of steel to weld in and make a shock tower. or you can spend the money and get a prefabbed one but its all up to you. mine looks just like 46 and 2s  (without the  :stopit: boots of course) lol j/k
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
everyone thats posting pictures of there rear tire on a rock is not showing the rear flex, that would be the front doing the work. park your front tire on a rock and show us.

anyway when i had the shocks on my 4runner i had them about an inch apart on top and to the top of the axle, so they were angled alot. this time i got them as far apart from each other on the top and as low behind the axle as possible. ill take some pic tomorrow and post em
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
All-Pro 4" springs taken in the Old Sluice on the Con, wife is driving. All four wheels on something solid. Note shackle angles.

Moab on some trail in BFE. Again all four wheels on something. Note DS rear shankle angle. Marlin 4" springs

4-Dice trail, Nor-Cal, Winch Hill 1 One of the best trails in California and about 70 miles from my house. 4" TG springs, note DS shackle angle.

How the truck sits on flat ground.

Nothing special about the way the springs are mounted and all have bump stops. Rancho 9000 15" shocks in first pic., BBCS (Poly Performance) 13" shocks in the last two pics.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 07:48:48 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
All-Pro 4" springs taken in the Old Sluice on the Con, wife is driving. All four wheels on something solid. Note shackle angles.

Moab on some trail in BFE. Again all four wheels on something. Note DS rear shankle angle. Marlin 4" springs

4-Dice trail, Nor-Cal, Winch Hill 1 One of the best trails in California and about 70 miles from my house. 4" TG springs, note DS shackle angle.

Nothing special about the way the springs are mounted and all have bump stops. Rancho 9000 15" shocks in first pic., BBCS (Poly Performance) 13" shocks in the last two pics.

Nice rig. But I've got you beat. For 23 years of my life I lived 30 miles from Fordyce :gap:

Now you are closer than me though haha. Don't live in Nevada City anymore.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Nice rig. But I've got you beat. For 23 years of my life I lived 30 miles from Fordyce :gap:

Now you are closer than me though haha. Don't live in Nevada City anymore.
I would love to live in NC or GV! But my wife says no, she is still working while I am retired. That is what I get for robbing the cradle for my seconded marriage!!!!!LOL

Thanks.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I would love to live in NC or GV! But my wife says no, she is still working while I am retired. That is what I get for robbing the cradle for my seconded marriage!!!!!LOL

Thanks.

:hahaha:

Yeah Nevada City is great. 30 minutes to the trail. My friends go literally every weekend.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer

Always loved your truck OOPS. I like how simple yet effective it is. Do you have a build or any other specs on it?