Author Topic: Identify these Tranny's and Transfer case! Help!  (Read 3053 times)

spruce

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Identify these Tranny's and Transfer case! Help!
« on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »
Alright, I'm going to try and get the images in this post, so it may take a few tries and some editing, but here goes:

I have three transmissions, which I need to identify.  Also, I have 3 transfer cases, which I need to identify.  If you guys can help, then that would be absolutely awesome.  I don't trust any of the id plates on the vehicles, because I know work has been done, including engine swaps, and probably transmission swaps.

1) This is the transmission in my 86 4Runner.  Previous owner told me it was an R150 - can this be confirmed?

2) These two are the transfer case in my 86 Runner.  The cover plate doesn't match a gear drive, and from a description of the number of bolts in the cover plate, it didn't seem like a chain drive either... but if I had to guess, I would say this is a chain drive transfer case, which was originaly forwards shift, converted to top shift.  Can anyone confirm this?  It definitely has a block off plate on the back of the transmission...
This is from the passenger side, - I have a 3" body lift on it (will be coming off, don't worry...) - engine is a diesel 2lt-II in case anyone is wondering if the exhaust or something is in the wrong spot...

3) This is the transmission in the donor 85 I have (stealing axle for SAS, and parting out) - any ideas what this is?

4) This is a spare tranny which came with the 85 donor vehicle - any ideas what it is? And that's a top shift, gear drive, transfer case, correct?

Let's see if all that worked...

Spruce
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:13:44 PM by spruce »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
R150 and its chain drive 23 spline tcase

and the 85 should and appears to have a w56 and gear drive tcase

the "extra tranny tcase appears to also be w56 and gear drive tcase
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

spruce [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
79coyotefrg - you're the man.  Thanks a ton

Next, will the gear drive transfer cases bolt up to my r150?  My R150 is going great (although there's a slight catch going into 1st sometimes), and the other two trannies are of unknown working order.  So, I think my best option, if it's possible, is to swipe the two gear drive transfer cases, and bolt those onto my R150.

Or is there a better option?

Thanks again,

Spruce

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
how can that one in the 86 runner be a R150? the clutch slave is on the right-hand side... thats not stock is it? its on the wrong side.

and how can a R150 be in an 86 runner? the V6 didnt come out in 4x4s til 88.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
how can that one in the 86 runner be a R150? the clutch slave is on the right-hand side... thats not stock is it? its on the wrong side.

and how can a R150 be in an 86 runner? the V6 didnt come out in 4x4s til 88.

He has a diesel swap  "engine is a diesel 2lt-II in case anyone is wondering if the exhaust or something is in the wrong spot..."

So to the op. Is this a right hand drive 86 runner? Got any pictures of it so we can drool??
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink

He has a diesel swap  "engine is a diesel 2lt-II in case anyone is wondering if the exhaust or something is in the wrong spot..."

So to the op. Is this a right hand drive 86 runner? Got any pictures of it so we can drool??

That makes sense, thanks Fade.

and x2!!!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Yup welcome. I was wondering the same thing till I re read what he wrote.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

spruce [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Fade nailed it - it's got an engine swap from an 89.  I wish I could claim to have done the swap, but it was done by the previous owner - imported from Japan, so the engine was originally in a right hand drive vehicle, but now it's in my lefty 4Runner.  I'll see if I can get some pictures up, although it's not real impressive - as of yet it's mostly stock except for the cool engine.  I'm working on fixing that though...

So, do you guys know if I can bolt up the two gear drive transfer cases I have, to the R150?  If so, that would be cool, because I get to keep the transmission which I know is good, and I get to build the doubler without having to take anything off the truck - just swap er in once ready.  Thanks,

Spruce

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
You have to get a adapter plate here: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/t/c-adapters/1988-95-3vz-e-30-liter-v6-drivetrains

Or if I'm not mistaken you can get a 3.0 manual bell housing and then do a r151(22ret(turbo) ) trans in it and then be able to use your gear driven cases instead of the chain driven.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

spruce [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Awesome, thanks a lot Fade.  Now that I know what I actually have, hopefully I can stop asking so many newbie questions and figure some stuff out on my own.

Damn near a moot point though - thought the truck was gonna be written off on the way home from work today - some idiot swerved for an exit last second - it was raining pretty hard - I jammed on the brakes - my brakes are kind of funny - they work perfectly up to a point, but then when you want to really really stop, there's a point where the pedal becomes a lot harder, and you really gotta press.  Well, I jammed on the brakes hard, didn't quite get to the clutch quick enough apparently, engine stalled, all four wheels locked up, and I turned about 30 degrees, and just kept going at almost the same speed.  It took me a half second to force the old brain unit to overide instinct, and actually let off the brake, to unlock the wheels, to slow down.  As soon as I eased off a bit, I slowed way down, the ass end kicked back, and I missed him by a hairs breadth, didn't side swipe the guy next to me which is what would have happened if I'd kept sliding sideways through the curve.  Coasted to the side, started her up again, and continued on my way...  The little Runner did me proud again!  Gotta get some new tires and upgrade brakes though...

Spruce

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
that sounds like a pretty good scare on the freeway!  did you have to change your underwear when you got home? ha ha  glad to hear nothing serious happened
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823