Author Topic: Restoring older toy trucks?  (Read 5937 times)

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Restoring older toy trucks?
« on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »
Anyone think about restoring any of the older toyota trucks?  I've got an 88 thats decently built for wheelin, but I can't stop thinking about finding an older 1st gen shortbed to restore and use as a DD around town truck.  Swap the motor for a fuel injected 4cyl, clean up the frame, body and interior, maybe build some simple bumpers, some 31s and be done with it.  I know these aren't classics yet, but clean older toys are getting harder to find even in california.

Kevo

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Restoring older toy trucks?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »
:disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
I have a 79 sitting here waiting for me to start restoring it.  Its has factory a/c p/s tilt wheel and tach.  Just a few days ago I took most of the interior out of it.  Just have the dash to do remove.  Then its all getting sanded down and painted.  Few little dings to work on but for the most part its cherry.  The down side to restoring these older trucks is finding good dash pads and door panels.  Those are the only 2 things I cant seem to find. 

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
so what are you going to do with your blue truck? or is this your truck?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
I think the 79 is gonna end up being my dd and the 82 is gonna be a trail rig.  I wish I had 800 bucks since I could have picked up another 1st gen with factory ac ps and tilt.  Heck it even ran fine.  I figured your gonna be getting a 1st gen runner.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
when i have the $ for it, i will be getting a first gen runner.... i expect to spend ~ $4k

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
I stsated life with toyotas with an 81, loved it but beat the piss out of it, regret it now, cause it was nice when i got it. Got another  81 a yea ago, that decent, that ive slowly been accuiring parts for, got factory condition interior, factory condition fenders, and front clip, cab is great, just need a bed. It gonna be a total frame off reston once i accuire all parts, but for now its complete, and sits. I buildin my 88 runner, to wheel, and thrash now.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »
I'm kind of trying to keep my '80 stock-ish and complete...  I still wheel it but I'll probably gradually clean it up as I go.  A full on resto would spoil it for me untill I get my bigger more built 4Runner going for the trail, but I think fixing up these old ones just to drive is valid if they're all there and not rusted beyond recognition.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
I haven't had a 1st gen since the 2wd I had back in HS, but I have restored & lightly modified 6 of the 2nd gens(3-4wd's and 3-2wd's), and a 1st gen IFS Runner.  6 of the seven were all headed to the scrap yard before I picked them up.  What I don't understand is how bad people let their interiors get when they are still driving them.  I have had the interiors just as bad on DD's, as ones that have sat for 8yrs, and looked likes something had nested in them.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010, 01:09:29 AM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
You should see how some people keep the interiors in their 2-3 year old vehicles  :ack:  You'd then understand how people let their older beater truck interiors get run down.  My first toy was an 81 2wd that led a hard life and had the lowest level trim package.  I twice laid house carpet in it, installed nicer buckets, made a decent center console with top pad upholstered to match the door panels I made, got a junkyard metal dash and sanded/base/cleared it, got a nice dash pad and dyed it to match, and made the mistake of zolatoning the headliner.  It was butt ugly on the outside but had a comfortable and clean interior  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
i say go for it. i bought my truck about 3 weeks after the guy flopped it on the side, but he kept the interior in pristine condition. other than that, it would have been a perfectly clean truck. i wish that it was still perfect.  if you can do it, do it.
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
i have an 88 single cab hilux pickup here at home (me uncle gave it to me) that is very clean and straight for its age.....needs work but for its age its good.   frame needs a cleanup, some minor rust spots, needs a new interior and thats bout it......

motor is a 4yc - 2.2 litre carby 4 cylinder on propane. 31" tyres, unfortunately shes unregistered at the moment so cant drive her on the road yet. genuine 220,000km on it and the motor is clean as and running very smooth.

heres some pics......

am planning on making it a stock standard daily driver eventually as i think like the OP the value of them will soon rise to a collectors vehicle in a few years as standard ones are very hard to find.

slacker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 796
  • Member since May '07
  • Master Mould Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
I now have just about 20G's into my 1st Gen restoration .. It's a Trekker. You can see the whole build , but be warned .. there are just about 1000 pictures :) http://toyotatrekker.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=trekkerbuilds&action=display&thread=33

I went with a custom modified/restoration idea ... but still keeping all it's lines and history intact .
I have been building this trekker for the last 3 years  and am very close to finishing now .. hope you enjoy the pics

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 06:32:20 PM by slacker »
TREKKER PARTS
86  "shop truck"  lots of fiber parts . 
84 2WD wide body "hotrod"  1GZ
83 3.4L S/C Trekker SR5
82 Mirage  #001
83 Mojave #465
86 3.4L twin turbo Mojave tribute

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:03:38 PM »
I know its not a truck, but I have a 1985 Celica Supra that I want to restore, or resto-mod. I would also like to do a first gen 4runner and 1st gen pick up resto some day too.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
i have an 88 single cab hilux pickup here at home (me uncle gave it to me) that is very clean and straight for its age.....needs work but for its age its good.   frame needs a cleanup, some minor rust spots, needs a new interior and thats bout it......

motor is a 4yc - 2.2 litre carby 4 cylinder on propane. 31" tyres, unfortunately shes unregistered at the moment so cant drive her on the road yet. genuine 220,000km on it and the motor is clean as and running very smooth.

heres some pics......

am planning on making it a stock standard daily driver eventually as i think like the OP the value of them will soon rise to a collectors vehicle in a few years as standard ones are very hard to find.

ummm you said that this is an 88? it has a solid axle though. they made trucks with solid axles up until 85...explain please :dunno: :eek:
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
I know its not a truck, but I have a 1985 Celica Supra that I want to restore, or resto-mod. I would also like to do a first gen 4runner and 1st gen pick up resto some day too.

I thought your '85 was in pretty good shape, at least it looks that way in the pics.  Does it just need a fresh coat of paint, or a complete resto?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
ummm you said that this is an 88? it has a solid axle though. they made trucks with solid axles up until 85...explain please :dunno: :eek:

Im from Australia...we had solid axles fronts up until mid 1997......then we changed to IFS front ends....before that some SR5's had IFS and some 4 runners and the imported toyota Surfs....

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
o ok. got it!  :thumbs:
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »
I thought your '85 was in pretty good shape, at least it looks that way in the pics.  Does it just need a fresh coat of paint, or a complete resto?

No no a different 4runner. Aside from a bite on the drivers side behind the door, it is still really clean. I want to do a stock 4runner restoration. Just a really clean, 100% bone stock 4runner.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
I meant your '85 Supra.  My '87 Supra project has been on the back burner for about 2yrs now, I am hoping to get back to it his fall.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
I meant your '85 Supra.  My '87 Supra project has been on the back burner for about 2yrs now, I am hoping to get back to it his fall.

Oh duh. I'm a tard sometimes, haha. Yeah the Supra is definitely clean and in great shape. However there are a few minor interior flaws I'd like to take care of, and while the body is straight, there are a LOT of tiny imperfections, especially on the front clip from rocks and what not. There is one kind of major ding on the passenger door from when my gf let the heavy door swing open on a hill and it slammed into a concrete wall, putting a good 2-3" long, 1/2" dent right in the door. The rest is all mechanical. Fix/upgrade AC, probably going to need new gears eventually, and maybe tweak the 5MGE or even turbo it for shits and giggles. Mainly the body and paint, everything else is kind of "fix as you go" since it is my daily driver ATM. I have just seen some REALLY clean Supras and I'd like mine to look that good. More of a 1/4 resto project... don't plan to strip it all down or anything, its in much better shape than that.