Author Topic: R150F how hard to replace this pair of syncros?  (Read 3731 times)

stackz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
R150F how hard to replace this pair of syncros?
« on: Jul 31, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
ok, tore down a friends transmission for him and what I thought was happening is what it is...he wore out the syncros...I"m pretty sure this is the 2/3 gear syncros as shown in the picture (marked in red) they are the only ones worn and they are worn on the leading edges pretty bad.

I"m sure this is whats giving him his grinding.  after looking at the service manual, I dont think I need to tear it all the way down.

Looks like I can just pop off the snap ring and pull out the shift fork and then just pull everything off and swap gears?  or did I miss something and something is pressed on at that area?  Everything slides back/forth...

anyway, here's the pics.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Those syncos are hammered.  You can remove only enough to get to those syncos but if they look that bad I would replace all of them and check the bearings as well.  You are going to need a special puller to get the thing apart without risking damage to the gears or bearings.  If you have the right puller you can tear the whole thing down replace the syncos and put it back together in a few hrs.  Just make sure all the surfaces are smooth before putting it back together. 

stackz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
yeah, they are pretty bad haha.  transmission worked just fine and didnt whine at all.  just ground going into 2nd/3rd.  I checked the other synros out and they all look fine and looking at the bearings with a flashlight they dont appear to be galled at all so my friend wants to keep it as cheap as possible.

I told him the possible downsides and he's willing to pay me $$ if I have to take it back out again lol (we're swapping labor right now) I'm doing his transmission and he's doing cabinets for my kitchen.

anyway...where can I buy just the syncros and gaskets without a complete kit?  I'm thinking of just going to a couple local transmission shops and see if they can order just those parts.

also, that is the 2nd/3rd cluster correct?

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
You can get them on ebay fairly cheap I believe.  If not then google is your best friend.  trans shops prob wont have them around.

diggtbks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
See here:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/toyota_r150_overhaul_kit.html

scroll to the bottom of the page for syncro and seal kits...good luck

stackz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Great but which syncros are the ones in red in the pic...

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
call the dealer
hold this. . .

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I just rebuilt my R151F and there were only two different syncros in the entire trans. A larger and a smaller and obvious where they went.

I got them from a local trans supply and they were Toyota "newer style" syncros. I almost took them back because mine looked good and they are not cheap.

It's a good thing I didn't because even though they looked OK they were not. When I checked the clearance between the synco and gear with a feeler gauge it was zero. The new ones were at the high end of spec.

I thought my bearings looked good too until I got them clean and dry. They felt rough and you had to look with a loupe to see the pitting. A film of oil hides it pretty well.

Hope this helps. Not sure if the R150 is the same.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
If you were close to me I have a good condition R150 sitting here which isnt going to be used.  Easier then rebuilding that one.