Author Topic: 82 Toy in AK  (Read 1033 times)

6l psd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
82 Toy in AK
« on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »
Hey All...Just figured I'd put something in here so one day I'll have enough posts for pictures and the like.  I've been soaking up as much Toyness as I could from here since about February, and if I lived in Cali would have bought a rig from the sale board a long time ago.  As it is, I finally acquired my Moose Getter project about a week ago...a straight bodied 1982 shortbed 4x4.  From what I can tell it's original, and running 10.50-31 Wranglers on aluminum wheels.  Future plans include dual cases, front and rear lockers, 37-38 inch variety of swamper, beadlocks, and one of Marlin's lifts/crossover steering, etc.  I still haven't decided how much lift I'll need.  I'd like to keep it as low as possible, without getting into metal (who doesn't right??) I have zero rock crawling plans, other than what is in the river and creek bottoms I plan to access.  As of now I get in there with a rhino and a tag trailer behind it.  It does fine until the water rises...that's the whole premise behind the truck build.  Alright then...done with rambling!

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 Toy in AK
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Welcome to Marlin 4" lift should be plenty!
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
 :welcome:
i love oregon wheelin.

b0x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
Welcome to the boards! :beerchug:
New Mexico wheeling

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »
 :welcome: II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

6l psd [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the Welcomes!  I had to play this weekend...just couldn't wait. Marlin was out of the front knuckle rebuild kits, so I went hunting. I'm sure most of you probably know this, but those kits are worth the wait!  I didn't, and all I came home with was bearings and wheel seal.  The knuckle seal kit is on order at the dealer...this week hopefully.  I got into the pax side, and the seals have been gone for a while by the looks of the amount of hardened goo all over everything.  Two cans of engine cleaner and a half can of aerokroil and I had it down to the spindle.  Replaced the bearings while in there, should make the knuckle rebuild a bit faster.  They seemed fine, but there was no grease left in there...just nasty gear "oil." I could feel a bit of slop in the birfield...don't know if that's normal, but there can't be much grease left in there either. The driver's side doesn't appear to be much better from the outside, but I learned from the first side and already hit it with the power washer!  Now just waiting on parts, and hoping it all shows up.  I now see why Marlin touts the brake upgrade...I'd never seen solid brake rotors before, except on a go-cart!