Author Topic: higher rpm missing/ won't pass smog...  (Read 6926 times)

Serenity now!

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
higher rpm missing/ won't pass smog...
« on: Apr 09, 2010, 09:42:25 PM »
i just put together a 90 22re 4runner. has a street rv with a 261c cam over sized valves. put in new vacuum lines and new fuel and new fuel filter after running it for a bit with 4yr old gas but new filter. adjusted valves and timing to factory setting.  when i got it running it runs fine. misses a little when cold above 2700 rpms. when warm misses quite a bit at same and more rpms. i have put seafoam thru the vacuum system before the smog test and i just added seafoam to the oil.that has helped a little bit. luckily the smog was a test only. but the h/c were way, way too high! any help?? :crossed:

jl93221

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: higher rpm missing/ won't pass smog...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »
Post up some numbers.  

What type of Cat do you have, oem or after market?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2010, 08:09:50 AM »
lets see... {%co2} {%o2 }{ hc max }{hc gp} {hc meas} {co% max} {co gp} {co meas}
      890       12.7      2.3        120       330        363            1.00        2.50       .71
    2432       12.9     1.8          180      270        788            1.00        2.50       .95               

timing was set at 8 deg. I have set timing to 5 now and replaced the pcv valve sense the test. the odom says 192xxx car fax says 224xxx i am sure it is the orig cat. i will replace that soon when the money comes ;need a new muffler as well(unrelated to smog i am sure:))

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
Ya you have 4year old gas.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
i replaced the gas with 91 oct before the test and ran it for 30 min then drove for 15. any thoughts on the carbon canister?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
By the looks of it you are running way rich, a new cat wont correct those numbers, not enough to pass anyways.  

Did you have the injectors rebuilt? Might check the cold start injector as well, it could be leaking fuel.  You could have an air leak somewhere after the AFM, that the ecu is try to correct by richening the A/F ratio.

How many miles a have you put on the rebuild, everything may not have seated by the test.  I know when I rebuilt my '91 22re it failed the first smog test, when took it back 3 months later it passed w/o issue, and all I did was drive it.  I would try to put another 500 miles or so on it, recheck the valve do an oil change and then test it again. 

Is the cam one of EB's, if so I think it is supposed to be CARB legal, if not that could be part of your issue.  

If the cat is original it might be fine, pull it off and see what it looks, given the cost of CA cats now, I wouldn't just buy one unless you are sure yours is shot.  
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
snowtoy thanks for the input. i have put maybe 70 miles before the test just a lot of idle running and testing.... the cam and head is from eb.. i have duct taped the 3" black plastic piece from the air filter to plenum due to cracks. i was thinking of switching battery and air filter locations due to so much cracking. no i did not blueprint the injectors but cleaned them also fan seafoam through the fuel tank too.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
also**** i just replaced the pcv. less than $2... seems to help a little i will drive more tonight. I do feel as if I drove more i twill get better like snowtoy said. i had been sitting for 4 yrs! :rivers:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »
While idling can work an engine, it isn't working it very hard, not like 8-16hrs run time on the trail.  I know it is a waste of gas, but a trip down I-5 to Sac then 99 north to Chico would be good long drive to break the engine in, and you wouldn't have to push it like heading north.  It is to bad the the DMV limits you to only 60 days to before charging you for an extension, unlike in the past, if you don't drive a lot of miles/week it makes it hard to break in a rebuilt engine.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
drove it all around today, still has miss with over 2000 rpm less when i step on it more cruising at 2k and up. i have been reading up, maybe the egr modulator if malfunctioning? tested the carbon canister, and it tested fine. when i apply vacuum to the egr it dies unless i stop quick.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
well i changed modulator with a known working one and it still missed...... could it be fuel pump, injectors???

sUckAfiSh22re

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »
injectors could be causing miss when getting on gas a bit, but timing could be an issue even with factory setting if new cam n such is different than factory. i'd try to clean injectors one more time, then play a bit with timing. keep driving it and break in that motor

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
drove it all around today, still has miss with over 2000 rpm less when i step on it more cruising at 2k and up. i have been reading up, maybe the egr modulator if malfunctioning? tested the carbon canister, and it tested fine. when i apply vacuum to the egr it dies unless i stop quick.
I had a similar issue, I had the Egr vacuum lines backwards, Check vacuum lines are hooked up correctly
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »
went through all the vac lines and all good. i have adjusted the tps to fact settings(not that it was off) but i wanted to check still nothing. seems a little better. i will be replacing the large dist o ring between the cap and housing. the one i have is cracked and parts are gone... could this have anything to do with my problems?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
W/a bad O-ring, what is the condition of the cap and rotor?  If they have corroded or are worn, they could be causing some issues under a heavier engine loads.  If they have corroded, take a piece of sandpaper and remove the corrosion, if worn replace.

What is the age/condition of the plug wires?  An arching wire can sometimes cause the engine to act like it is missing.

Has advancing/retarding the timing effected the miss at all?  Did EB recommend a different setting than stock?

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
cap and rotor new no corrosion, plugs and wires are new as well. eb said to set as stock. timing doesn't change miss.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2010, 09:15:28 AM »
Did you install the correct size orifice for the egr valve? Having the work size could cause this problem.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
tallchevy*** i didn't change any thing on the egr just rebuilt the top  and put it back together. what orifice are you referring too? maybe some carbon crap got lodged in there somewhere. there was A LOT of build up in the emissions system, i cleaned the best i could with a gun cleaning kit and some seafoam.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 18, 2010, 12:16:20 AM »
Have you checked the ecu for codes yet?, might help if anything is registering.

You can also try pin pointing which cylinder is causing the miss by pulling a plug wire w/the engine running.  If the miss goes away you have found the cyl.  If the miss doesn't go away, this means something is effecting them all, i.e., gas flow, injectors, poor air/fuel mixture, bad coil, etc.

If you haven't pulled the plugs yet, pull them and see what they look like, could have a bad/failing plug.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »
pulled each wire, eng was affected each time. code 51 only when there is gas applied, at idle no codes.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
Did the miss go away at idle, or under load?

If you haven't done it yet, you might try the propane test along all of the intake tube, hose, vacuum lines, and along the intake manifold, you could have a large leak or a lot of small ones.  If you are unfamiliar w/the propane test, take a hand held propane torch(typical 1lb bottle and torch tip), crack the valve enough to let the gas flow out but not like you are going to use it, and run it along the intake system.  If the engine idles up, you have found the leak.

If you don't have it yet, here is an online '93 Factory Service Manual.  While it is for '93's it works well enough for the older engines.

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
miss is only at "cruising", no load. at idle or with a load it does not miss. i haven't tried that test yet. i will though this weekend thanks. i am first going to try and adjust the tps. the code reads when the throttle is pressed even a little, even with engine off, 51. i checked the ohms and between e2-idl the ohms are off when i measure .85mm 

Serenity now! [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
ok so....... propane test nothin'   adj tps nothin'   tps is unable to be adjusted correctly. i can get either the e2-idl .85 mm or e2-vta correct but not both.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
ok so....... propane test nothin'   adj tps nothin'   tps is unable to be adjusted correctly. i can get either the e2-idl .85 mm or e2-vta correct but not both.

I don't think it's possible to adjust the tps to exact specs...........

All you're looking for is that IDL-E2 has continuity somewhere around .57mm and less than .57mm

And is an open circuit somewhere around .85mm and above.

I think mine is at .5mm and .8mm...........

VTA - E2 should vary from a lower resistance to a higher resistance smoothly as you open the throttle.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15