Author Topic: How to Pass Smog  (Read 261682 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
How to Pass Smog
« on: Feb 24, 2003, 03:29:47 AM »
Hey guys I just got my ride smoged and I wanted to share a few tips I did to improve my chances.

#1. Run the best gas you can find. I used 91 oct. Chevron.

#2. If you are going to use any additive, I strongly recommend RXP Gas Kicker. See their webpage here: RXP Gas Kicker. I am sure this stuff works because I failed and then retested following these tips and used the RXP and I passed pretty good.

#3. Retard your timing about 2-4 degrees - my smog guy didn't even notice I was retarded 4 degrees. This reduces temperature and starts the burn later in the stroke maintaining less cylinder pressure. Believe it or not, but it does produce less emissions. It seemed to me that since it makes more power with full timing, it would only run cleaner, but this is not true. But if you go to much, like 5 or 6 or more degrees retarded, yes, now its going to pollute like a two stroke. But if you retard the timing 2 or 3 degrees, then it will burn cleaner.

#4. Raise your Idle as high as your automobile is allowed. The standard idle for Toy EFI for checking timing, as we all know, is 800RPM, but did you know that most Toyota EFI's are allowed to idle 800-1200 RPM for smog jobs? I put my engine at 1150. What this does is increases the amount of air coming in past the throttle body without the ECU knowing about it. On the technical side, EFI setups, the ECU does adjust the mixture pending results from the O2 sensor, but when the car is running at speed on the Dyno with the sniffer in the tailpipe, the ECU listens to the Throttle Position Switch to see an estimated amount of how much air is coming in the throttle body, but if you open the Idle Screw and allow more air to BYPASS the Throttle Body, then this will lean the mixture out just a hair because now more Air is coming in then the ECU knows about and the proper adjustments are not being made to richen up the mixture. Remember that under a constant load the ECU goes into a Loop mode and utilizes a rather limited set of variables. So this reduces emissions just a bit, but every bit counts, right?

#5. On EFIs with AFM (Air Flow Meters) -- the box upstream from the throttle body with the black plastic cover on top -- drill out the plug consealing the Air Flow mixture control. This screw allows air to Bypass the Air Box which means more air is coming in the engine then the ECU thinks and hence a leaner mixture. Make sure it is NOT screwed in all the way. Usually two or three turns out are good as long as the idle still sounds smooth. If the idle begins to sound rough, then screw it back down about half a turn or so. Allow about 10 secs between each adjustment while the engine is running to determine the actual effect as it might take some seconds for the ECU to adjust. If the idle is rough, then it is misfiring and that's raw unburned gas and that's really bad for emissions. So as long as it still idles smooth with 2 or 3 turns out, then your gravy. After you finish the smog, turn that screw ALL the way IN for a richer mixture that should aid in preventing detonation while increasing power.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:02 PM by -1 »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Re: How to Pass Smog
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2003, 03:30:07 AM »
#6. For Twin Cam guys, like myself haha suckers, New Tacos and 4Runners, T100s, etc: Either slot your Cam Gear or get some adjustables (I slotted mine) you want to retard your intake and advance your exhaust about 2 degrees each. This will reduce any overlap preventing exhaust residuals from being "blown through." This should help with NOx. Now if you increase your overlap, which would be advancing your intake and retarding your exhaust, mainly we care about retarding our exhaust cam more than advancing our intake cam. This will give more time for the fuel to be combusted in the chamber before being expelled. This should help with emissions and the overlap will reduce the engine Temp. Should reduce HCC.
But its important that one change directly effects the other. If you want to use this step to decrease NOx, then your HCC emissions will go up. And same if you want to use this step to reduce your HCC, then your NOx will go up. They inversely effect each other.

#7. For Single Cam guys: Here's what you can do. And I only recommend this JUST for the smog and then quickly change it back. To get the same results as in step #6, adjust your valves accordingly. If you run a Slightly Tight Valve adjustment on your exhaust valves, then your overlap will increase - ever so slightly, but it counts. Same as the other way. If you run lose valves on your intake, then it will retard your intake side. So you can emulate twin cam adjustments by carefully adjusting your valves. If the book calls for 10-12 on the exhaust, then try a 14 or 15. This would retard the exhaust valves -- for reducing HCCs.
But of course don't drive around like this. Only do this for your smog job. And needless to say, I am not responsible for any mishap you might have so please be careful and take care with what you are doing!

#8. On EFIs, Make sure your Charcoal Canister (aka Gas Can) is working. My buddies got old and filled with gas. This gas was then siphoned through the intake vacuum line and it screwed his smog job really bad. Someone told him to check it, he replaced it, went back to the same smog shop on the same day, and passed with flying colors.

#9. Make sure your spark plugs are in good shape and your wires are working well. This can make or break the whole test. Its only a given that Junk plugs or fouled out plugs will ruin your results...

#10. And if I may get picky, Turn your heater all the way on hot, turn the vents to your feet, and run your fan on low or low-med. What this is going to do is just aid in removing heat from your engine. Actually, it is legal to have your Heater on High with the Fan on High, but I bet the smog guy would turn it off as he sat in your truck, so I turned mine to my feet so he would not notice. I don't really know if this even helps with emissions, but a cooler engine must be more efficient. I mean your truck is just sitting there doing all that work on the Dyno with no oncoming air like it normally would have if it were moving. I know we all have belt driven fans or electrics, but just help 'em out by exchanging heath through your heater. Oh and the reason turning your fan on high with the heater on high is legal is because it is not an aftermarket modification. It is completely stock and anything stock is smog legal.

Well, this is about all that I can think about right now.
If you guys have some personal stories or tips you want to bring to the table, please do so. Hopefully this thread can help aid those who can't pass and prevent any one from failing and having to pay for a retest.
:circle:
Good Luck and Be careful with what you do,
BigMike

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2003, 03:20:33 AM »
retarding your timing reduces the combustion chamber temps.  there fore reducing NOx.  NOx is a big one now.  the egr "exhaust-gas-recurculation" is just what that is for too, so checking the egr when you have high NOx is good.

if it is hydro carbons giving you problems,  a fresh cat usually does the trick.  i keep a cat in my shop just for every two years when i test my truck.

also i have bypassed the air injection control valve by running a hose straight from the air pump to the exhaust.

another thing i have found that helps is having fresh gas.

i have noticed that i test better with 87 octane gas.  octane is the resistance to burn.  if you have a high comp. engiune you will need high octane to jkeep from pinging but if you have lower compression engine you can run a lower octane fuel.  if you run a higher octane fuel than needed it just doesn't burn as well.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2003, 05:45:29 AM »
One more thing to remember,,never use an after market o2 sensor either..Yes they are cheaper,and may apper to work,,You will find they DO MOT smog the same..The factory o2 sensor is the ONLY way to go..Spend the money and don't mess around with bosh or any other immataions..You will just get burned...Reason being is the oem makes the o2 sensor for that vehicle..aftermarket builds theres to fit your toyota,that mazda pover there,,the ford down the street and maybe even the reare yugo.. :smack:,,This sets a standard in paramaters the the computer will see and not the exaxt one it wants to look for..A generic if you parameter if you will...Not to mention the toy will at last any after market by a long shot... :o :psss:
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1056988800 »
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2003, 07:00:29 AM »
my thermostat was removed keeping the engine cold - passed first shot with flying colors. Not a toy though, egr was the biggy on my 22r
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

vikingsven

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2003, 08:13:04 AM »
I'd would also do a quick cleaning of the EFI or Carb before going in too.  :chew:

Cleaning 22RE
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:03 PM by -1 »

Dirty_Harry

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Slower than a turtle...
    • View Profile
    • Harry's Bio on 4x4Wire
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2003, 09:40:47 AM »
Warming the vehicle up so it is up to operating temperature will help too.  Don't just drive straight down the street from your house to the smog shop and then let the motor cool off for half an hour as you wait in line.  Catalytic convertors need to be nice and hot in order to do their jobs.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2003, 01:43:11 AM »
Herd this trick worked but just tryed it yesterday..87 toy 22re,,would not pass..buddy has aftermarket o2 sensor,,I told him to change it but he did not have the coin to throw down on a new one from toyota..So on about half a tank of fuel i put an entire bottle of rubbing alchol in the tank,,a small bottle,,not a gallon or anything like that..ran it through and it passed...Ao if all else fails,,try a bottle of rubbing alcohol...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2003, 04:12:12 AM »
You know that's very strange to hear it passed. Straight Alcohol like that will damage the o2 sensor and also will damage the cat. It would be better to use o2 and cat safe Methanol. I’ve been squirting meth :hahaha: into my SC engine for a good half year-

Regards,
BigMike

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2003, 05:29:28 AM »
That is true rubbing alcohol can help. I have also seen it work.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 09:56:45 PM »
for the amount I used I don't think it will hurt a thing,,however i would not do it every day..We only have to go through a smog check every two years and its nothing like what you cali guys have to go through..Not even close..

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 05:21:08 AM »
Hey Guys, I just read a review on msn.com, "American's Smoggiest Cities" and here are the top 20:

This year's 20 most polluted metropolitan areas are:
1. Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County, Calif.
2. Fresno, Calif.
3. Bakersfield, Calif.
4. Visalia-Tulare-Porterville, Calif.
5. Houston-Galveston-Brazoria, Texas
6. Sacramento-Yolo, Calif.
7. Merced, Calif.
8. Atlanta, Ga.
9. Knoxville, Tenn.
10. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, N.C.-S.C.
11. Washington-Baltimore, D.C.-Md.-Va.-W.V.
12. Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
13. Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, Pa.-N.J.-Del.-Md.
14. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, Conn.-N.J.-N.Y.
15. Phoenix-Mesa, Ariz.
16. Baton Rouge, La.
17. Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point, N.C.
18. Memphis, Tenn.-Ark.-Miss.
19. Birmingham, Ala.
20. San Diego, Calif.

5 of the top 7 are in the San Joaquin Valley. Sure glad I live here :conf: Stupid LA/San Fran blowing their somg into our valley trapping their sh|t air. hehehehe  :disturbed:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 04:57:05 AM »
Well that explains why some people in the valley act the way they do

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
Re:How to Pass Smog
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2003, 02:22:42 PM »
just curious you said that idle speed for and efi timing check is 800rpm my runner says to set it at 950 rpm?   why the difference?
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2003, 12:34:03 AM »
Are you sure this is the idle after you ground the T and E1 terminals in the diag box? (EFI)?

Shoud be 800 for setting the timing...

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2003, 09:22:39 AM »
Yep the sticker says -5 degrees with the T grounded at 950 RPM and its an 86 Runner EFI
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2003, 09:23:12 AM by 83ToyBoy »
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

javven

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2003, 12:36:34 PM »
Diesel engine guys can help themselves pass opacity tests in a number of ways, but WVO is probably your best bet for a quick-fix.  Go to google and look up biodiesel.  Note that a low-compression diesel like the Toyota should not run biodiesel for an extended period but it might just be the trick to passing the test if it's in your area.  Here I don't have to worry about it :)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2004, 01:27:53 PM »
.............passed first shot with flying colors. Not a toy though, egr was the biggy on my 22r

You know Brandon, my buddie and I were just talking about this the other day.

We believe the smog program is a hoax. They use one standard testing method for every car type, and it is tailored more for the larger displacement engines.

Consider this: My 1.6 liter MR2 is smogged like every other car at a low speed of I believe 20 MPH and a high speed at 30 MPH. The Smog Computer Software is set at a standard RPM interval of, again I don't remember exactly, somewhere between like 2,000 - 3,000 RPM. So in 2nd gear at 2,800rpm lets say for example my car is doing 20 MPH and then in 3rd gear at 2,100 rpm my car is doing 30 MPH. Well, as we all know a 1.6 liter engine will have no bottom end torque to work with. And since they put a load on the car it's not even fair. I never drive my car at 2000 rpm unless my mother is with me. Hell just on the freeway 80 MPH is 4,000RPM in fifth so its undergeard as it is already.

So on a smaller engine they've gotta consider where the efficiency band is of that particular engine or else it is an unfair disadvantage.

Regards,
BigMike

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:49:44 PM »
This is great advice, keep it coming.  I got to smog my 84 yota this year.

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2004, 01:39:29 AM »
Couple of weeks back me and my dad go down to the local smog shop to get his truck smogged.  It's a 88 2wd 5 speed pickup with a 22r thats got about 320,000 miles on it without rebuild.  The compression for the cylinders are pretty weird.  
Cylinder 1:205
Cylinder 2:198
Cylinder 3:196
Cylinder 4:200

I was surprised at the amount of compression.  To get to the point me and my dad found out that 22r carbed engines dont have check engine lights.  For some reason the dumbass at the smog shop wouldnt pass us. All because of a stupid check engine light requirement that didnt even come with the truck.  Even though me and my dad told the guy that they didnt come with check engine lights they still wouldnt pass us.  This truck was passing with flying colors but it just didnt have a check engine light.  If anyone ever has this problem and still cant get the smog guy to pass you, me and my dad took the tab of a fuel injected 22r instrument panel that had a check engine light and put it in our truck.. rigged it up to the oil lamp so it turned on when ignition started and shut off at idle.  So the next time my dad and i went to the smog shop the finally let us through because they got a call from someone about the check engine light so all that work was for nothing.  What a  :smack:
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

Josh

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:58:02 PM »
A bottle of Methyl Alcohol(1L)  in the tank will help for smog.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2004, 03:58:34 PM by Josh »

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »
Put a couple of cats on it reall close to the manifold :yupyup:

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2004, 04:22:14 PM »
or move to a small town area in oregon like yamhill county, where i live, no smog!!!!!!!!! haha suckers

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2004, 01:32:05 PM »
Its funny that Birmingham is on there because we have absolutely no emissions testing and no emissions law enforcement in Alabama.  I have no cats and blocked off egr valve; my truck is a polluting machine, and no one has ever said a thing to me.  I drive mine about 800 miles a week, too.

dk5

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2004, 07:41:57 PM »
To get to the point me and my dad found out that 22r carbed engines dont have check engine lights.  For some reason the dumbass at the smog shop wouldnt pass us. All because of a stupid check engine light requirement that didnt even come with the truck.  Even though me and my dad told the guy that they didnt come with check engine lights they still wouldnt pass us.  This truck was passing with flying colors but it just didnt have a check engine light.

you are very correct.  carb'ed toys don't have "check engine" lights.  what the smog tech did was illegal.  he needs to go back to school.  you should go to http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov and file a complaint.

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2004, 07:50:40 AM »
Or you could just move to a place like Oklahoma or Arkansas without all of the stupid tree huggers and smog tests.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

YoungAndDumbs88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2004, 02:44:15 PM »
Amador County Ca. isnt bad you only have to smog when you register it for the first time in the county or want to sell it so once you register it and plan onkeeping it. It is yours to do whatever, my buddy has a 5.0 in a 94 ranger and others have built 350' s in their 80's CJ's. but all good things must come to an end so it probably wont long until we have regular smog laws.
Damn tree huggers  :hammer: 
If it Don't fit get a bigger HAMMER.

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:03 PM »
that is one good thing about being in the miliatry you can claim residancy anywhere you want like Skul Valley UT. i dont know much about it except that it has no saftey or smog. NOTE: not a good reason to join the military :flamer:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2004, 03:30:40 PM »
I understand the smog thing although we don't have it...but around here you could drive anything offroad as long as it isn't open headers and has a spark arrestor.  Do you guys even have to smog for offroad use???
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2004, 08:01:25 PM »
here i can run open headers no laws against it unless its too loud then you can get dinged with noise pollution but cops rairly ever care and the most they would prolly do is give you a warning