Author Topic: MT/R's question. Experts needed.  (Read 1830 times)

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
MT/R's question. Experts needed.
« on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:26:06 AM »
I've got a buddy that wants to sell me some non-kevlar MT/R's in a 37/12.50/16.5. I cannot find any info on that size at all. Everyone i've talked to says they don't exist, but I've seen them in person and they are for real. These are not the old military design, they are the last before the kevlars.Could they be a re-tread or maybe a prototype tire that was never put into production? I think they are blems because there is a couple small chunks missing on a four of the tread blocks. They do have a 08' date on them so they're not extremely old. He got them off ebay about 9 months ago and decided to go a different route on his project.

They are a load range D tire and I'm a little worried they're going to be on the stiff side for a Toyota. My 4runner probably weighs 4,500#'s loaded down with gear. Any thoughts on whether or not they're going to work okay. I'm not that worried about the 16.5" size as I will probably get some weld on beadlocks. Should I pick these up for $500 or pass on them? They are brand new and have never been mounted. Thanks.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: MT/R's question. Experts needed.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »
Without knowing anything about the prototype status or not, If you're worried about the load range, I wouldn't.  If you run them with low PSI, and essentially exercise the sidewalls, they'll soften up.  If after that, you decide you don't want to run them, let me know, I may be interested. :thumbs:

As for wheels, have you checked into H1 beadlocks?  that'll probably be the way to go, great lakes off road has some great centers you can weld in, thats the route I took.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »
sounds like a pretty good deal for some brand new 37" MTR's.  I say do it!  like BLACKDOG said, air them down and they will soften up
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2010, 08:28:50 AM »
They sound like the new tires the HWMV's are using over in Iraq now in conjuction with BFG M/T's to replace the old Goodyear Wrangler Radials.

Awesome price and reentered wheels.

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Goodyear-Tire-Radial-37x12.50R16.5-Take-Off-s.html